George performing, March 2007
|Birth name||Inara Maryland George|
|Born||July 4, 1974|
|Genres||Indie, indie-pop, indie rock, synthpop, psychedelic pop, shoegaze, folk, country, pop, vocal|
|Instruments||vocals, bass, guitar|
|Years active||1990s – present|
|Associated acts||The Bird and the Bee, The Living Sisters, Merrick, Lode, Wendel/Kneebody|
Inara Maryland George (born July 4, 1974) is an American singer-songwriter and musician, one half of The Bird and the Bee, a member of the band Merrick, with Bryony Atkinson, and a member of the trio The Living Sisters, with Eleni Mandell and Becky Stark. Her 2006 solo album All Rise was a KCRW hit.
George is the daughter of Lowell George, the late founder of the rock and roll group Little Feat, and Elizabeth George. Jackson Browne wrote the song "Of Missing Persons" for Inara George after the death of her father. Her father died just before her fifth birthday.
Inara George was involved with theatre at young age especially Shakespeare in her native Topanga Canyon, a community in the Santa Monica mountains. She later relocated to Boston to study acting in the classical theater tradition.
While visiting home one summer, George and several high-school friends launched a band named Lode. To their surprise, the bandmates landed a deal with Geffen Records and released the 1996 album Legs & Arms. Later, George joined Bryony Atkinson to form Merrick, an indie rock duo that released two albums before disbanding in 2002.
Three years later, George struck out on her own by issuing her solo debut All Rise on Everloving Records. All Rise was produced by Michael Andrews (Donnie Darko, Freaks and Geeks) and featured musical contributions from Greg Kurstin. The two formed the Bird and the Bee and released a self-titled album in 2006, followed by several EPs. While preparing for the duo's second full-length release, George also found time to return to her own project, teaming up with veteran producer family friend Van Dyke Parks for 2008's An Invitation.
with The Bird and the Bee
- 2006: Again and Again and Again and Again
- 2007: The Bird and the Bee
- 2007: Please Clap Your Hands
- 2008: One Too Many Hearts
- 2009: Ray Guns Are Not Just the Future
- 2010: Interpreting the Masters Volume 1: A Tribute to Daryl Hall and John Oates
with The Living Sisters
- 2010: Love To Live
- 2013: Run for Cover
- 2014: Harmony is Real: Songs for a Happy Holiday
- 1996: Legs & Arms
- 2001: Merrick
- 2001: Drive Around a Lot Hard and Fast Driving Club
- 1999: The Minus Man (Music from the Shooting Gallery Motion Picture)
- 1997: Trouble from the 'Rock and Roll Doctor' tribute to Lowell George
- 2002: I'll Watch Your Life to See – Wendel
- 2005: Warnings/Promises – Idlewild
- 2006: Immune to Gravity – MOTH
- 2007: Make Another World – Idlewild
- 2008: Join the Band – Little Feat
- 2009: Dark Touches – Har Mar Superstar
- 2009: I Told You I Was Freaky – Flight Of The Conchords
- 2009: "He Needs Me" – Documentary "All You Need Is Klaus", "Voorman & Friends – A Sideman's Journey"
- 2011: Penny Loafers from Daedelus album Bespoke
- 2012: Love is a Four Letter Word – Jason Mraz
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Inara George.|
- Inara George's Myspace Page
- Inara George's Facebook Page
- Sirens of Song: Inara George
- July 2008 Interview with L.A. Record
- Interview with Sound Bites Dog E-Zine
- Merrick's Myspace Page