||This article possibly contains original research. (August 2011)|
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (August 2011)|
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Russian Wikipedia. (August 2013)|
Incantation performing live at Party.San Open Air in Bad Berka, Germany, in 2012.
|Labels||Seraphic Decay, Relapse, Necropolis, Listenable, Ibex Moon|
|Associated acts||Funerus, Deicide, Vital Remains, Profanatica, Immolation|
Incantation is an American death metal band that was formed by John McEntee and Paul Ledney in 1989. They are one of the leaders in the New York death metal scene along with fellow bands Suffocation and Immolation, even though the band is currently located in Johnstown, Pennsylvania.
Incantation is notable for mixing widely varied tempos into their music, often playing slow, down-tuned passages similar to those performed by death/doom bands like Autopsy. To date the band has released eight full-length records, two live records, four EPs, two singles, three splits, one DVD, and three demos.
The band has seen many lineup changes in their 22-year history and guitarist John McEntee is the sole original member. Incantation first came to prominence with Onward to Golgotha and Mortal Throne of Nazarene, which features Craig Pillard on vocals. Following the release of the Forsaken Mourning of Angelic Anguish EP in 1997, Pillard departed Incantation and was replaced by Daniel Corchado of The Chasm. Corchado performed on one album, 1998's Diabolical Conquest, before departing. Vocalist Mike Saez performed on the next two albums, The Infernal Storm (2000) and Blasphemy (2002). Beginning with Decimate Christendom, guitarist and frontman John McEntee took on vocal responsibilities, a role that he continues to the present.
Current live members
- Onward to Golgotha (1992)
- Mortal Throne of Nazarene (1994)
- Diabolical Conquest (1998)
- The Infernal Storm (2000)
- Blasphemy (2002)
- Decimate Christendom (2004)
- Primordial Domination (2006)
- Vanquish in Vengeance (2012)
- Dirges of Elysium (2014)
Rough Mix albums
- Upon the Throne of Apocalypse (1995)
- Blasphemous Cremation (2008)
- The Forsaken Mourning of Angelic Anguish (1997)
- "Thieves of the Cloth" (2006)
- "Scapegoat" (2010)
- Tribute to the Goat (1997)
- Live Blasphemy in Brazil Tour 2001 (2002)
- Purcell, Natalie J. (2003). Death Metal Music: The Passion and Politics of a Subculture. McFarland & Company. ISBN 978-0-7864-1585-4.
- "Incantation (Official fan page) - About". Facebook. 2010-08-13. Retrieved 2014-08-20.