Independence Centenary Games
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011)|
|Dates||14 September – 18 September|
|Champions||Costa Rica (1st title)|
|Third place||El Salvador|
|Goals scored||22 or 20 (1 per match)|
The Independence Centenary Games is a football tournament organized to celebrate 100 years of Central American Independence. The tournament was compromised where only Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica and El Salvador were able to participate. It was a single-elimination tournament, or round-robin format, with Guatemala playing Honduras and El Salvador playing Costa Rica. It took place in Guatemala from 14 September to 18 September 1921.
Because of the unotable attention to the tournament, the group stage final scores have been disputed for years. El Salvador was eliminated by Costa Rica; 7 – 0 or 3 – 0. Honduras was eliminated by Guatemala; 9 – 0 or 10 – 1.
In the final, Costa Rica defeated Guatemala in a certain score of 6 – 0. This organized tournament is seen to everyone as Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Costa Rica's starting point in association football.
|Costa Rica v El SalvadorGroup Stage 14 September 1921||Costa Rica||7 – 0||El Salvador||Campo de Marte, Guatemala City|
|Joaquín Manuel Toquita Gutiérrez ?'
Claudio Cayito Arguedas ?'
Ricardo Poeta Bermúdez ?'
Rafael Ángel Macho Madrigal ?' (?), ?' (?)
|Guatemala v HondurasGroup Stage 14 September 1921||Guatemala||9 – 0||Honduras||Campo de Marte, Guatemala City|
|Fernando Minondo ?' (?), ?'
Constantino Kiehnle ?' (?)
Wenceslao Aldaz ?' (?)
|Costa Rica v GuatemalaThe Final 18 September 1921||Costa Rica||6 – 0||Guatemala||Campo de Marte, Guatemala City|
|Rafael Ángel Macho Madrigal ?' (?)
Claudio Cayito Arguedas ?' (?)
Jorge Luis Solera
- Romero, Marcos (28 August 2009). "Costa Rica - List of International Matches". RSSSF. Retrieved 2 November 2010.
- Courtney, Barrie (14 August 2008). "El Salvador - List of International Matches". RSSSF. Retrieved 2 November 2010.
- Courtney, Barrie (14 August 2008). "Guatemala - List of International Matches". RSSSF. Retrieved 2 November 2010.
- Courtney, Barrie (13 November 2006). "Honduras - List of International Matches". RSSSF. Retrieved 2 November 2010.
- Courtney, Barrie (14 August 2008). "Juegos del Centenario de la Independencia de Centroamérica (Guatemala) 1921". RSSSF. Retrieved 2 November 2010.