|Slogan||We are Many,
We are Independent,
We are Greeks
|Founded||24 February 2012|
|Split from||New Democracy|
|Headquarters||196, Syngrou Ave.
176 71 Athens
|Politics of Greece
The party was created by Panos Kammenos, a former MP for the conservative New Democracy party on 24 February 2012. Kammenos had been expelled from the New Democracy parliamentary group after voting against Lucas Papademos' coalition government in a vote of confidence. The founding declaration was presented on March 11.
The party has been joined by ten former New Democracy deputies, namely Elena Kountouras, Christos Zois, Kostas Markopoulos, Dimitris Stamatis, Spyros Galinos, Mika Iatridou, Maria Kollia-Tsarouha, Panagiotis Melas and Mihalis Giannakis
Independent Greeks claim not to have any links with New Democracy. In terms of society, they stand against immigration and multiculturalism, supporting repatriation of all illegal immigrants, banning of squats and the development of a Christian Orthodox oriented education system. Economically, the party is focused on the rejection of the loan agreement between Greece, the EU and the IMF. Kammenos calls for a committee standing above political parties and endowed with emergency powers and authorities to clear up the events that led into Greece's economic crisis. He proclaimed a "national awakening and uprising", and supposed that Greece had fallen victim to an "international conspiracy".
The party campaigns for lifting the immunity of ministers, parliamentarians, and officials against prosecution and to make accountable those who bear the blame for the crisis. It calls for the protection of national sovereignty, for German war reparations (for the invasion and occupation of Greece in the Second World War), for cancelling the memorandum which it deems illegal, and for building Greece anew.
The party has announced that they will start working so as to create a patriotic Democratic Front, the aim of which would be to save "Greece from the neo-liberal avalanche."
The party gained 33 MPs in the parliamentary election in May. In the snap election in June of the same year, their number of representatives declined to 20.
|Election year||# of overall votes||% of overall vote||# of overall seats won||+/-||Notes|
|2012 (May)||671,324||10.6 (#4)|
|2012 (Jun)||462,406||7.5 (#4)||13|
- "Kammenos attracts another New Democracy breakaway", Athens News, 20 March 2012
- "Venizelos draws battle lines for general elections", Ekathimerini, 15 March 2012
- "LAOS questions poor showing in opinion polls", Ekathimerini, 22 March 2012
- "Migration woes take centre stage ahead of Greek election", The New Age, 3 April 2012
- Granitsas, Alkman (4 March 2012), "Dallara Says Debt Swap Is on Track", The Wall Street Journal
- The counselors of the Regions.
- "Ousted New Democracy MP starts own party", Ekathimerini, 24 February 2012
- "Kammenos introduces Independent Greeks", Athens News, 11 March 2012
- "Ten former ND MPs move with Kammenos", Capital, 14 March 2012