Film Independent Spirit Awards
|Film Independent's Spirit Awards|
|29th Independent Spirit Awards|
|Awarded for||Best in independent films|
|Presented by||Film Independent|
The Independent Spirit Awards (originally known as the FINDIE or Friends of Independents Awards), founded in 1984, are awards dedicated to independent filmmakers. Winners were typically presented with acrylic glass pyramids containing suspended shoestrings representing the paltry budgets of independent films. In 1986, the event was renamed the Independent Spirit Awards. The Independent Spirit Awards are presented by Film Independent, a non-profit organization dedicated to independent film and independent filmmakers. In 2007, the ceremony was slightly changed to Film Independent's Spirit Awards. Since 2006, winners have received a trophy depicting a bird sitting atop of a pole with the shoestrings from the previous design wrapped around the pole.
The awards show was previously held inside a tent on the beach in Santa Monica, California, usually on the day before the Academy Awards (since 1999; originally the Saturday before). Since 1994, the show has been broadcast on the Bravo network and Independent Film Channel.
The 29th Independent Spirit Awards ceremony, celebrating the films of 2013, was held on March 1, 2014.
- Best Film
- Best Director
- Best First Feature
- Best Female Lead
- Best Male Lead
- Best Supporting Female
- Best Supporting Male
- Best Screenplay
- Best First Screenplay
- Best Foreign Film
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best Cinematography
- John Cassavetes Award
- Robert Altman Award
- Acura Someone to Watch Award
- Piaget Producers Award
- Truer than Fiction Award
- Special Distinction Award
- Picker, David V. (2004), "The Film Company as Financier-Distributor", in Jason E. Squire, The movie business book, Simon and Schuster, ISBN 978-0-7432-1937-2, OCLC 53953524, retrieved 29 September 2011
- English, James F. (2008), "The Age of Awards", The Economy of Prestige: Prizes, Awards, and the Circulation of Cultural Value, United States of America: Harvard University Press, p. 86, ISBN 978-0-674-03043-5, OCLC 221175319, retrieved 29 September 2011
provides alternative start date as 1986, not 1984
- Sickels, Robert (2009), "Coveted Awards", The Business of Entertainment: Movies, United States of America: Greenwood Publishing Group, p. 141, ISBN 978-0-275-99840-0, OCLC 644042790, retrieved 28 September 2011
- Steele, Bruce C. (28 February 2006), "It's Ang Lee vs. Gregg Araki!", The Advocate (Here Media): 49, retrieved 28 September 2011
- Film Independent Spirit Awards, IFC, archived from the original on 22 May 2011, retrieved 28 September 2011
Citation supporting televised on IFC in 2011.