|Headquarters||Geneva, Switzerland, London, San Francisco and Jersey|
|Products||Venture capital, Growth capital|
|Total assets||€2 billion|
Index Ventures is a Europe- and San Francisco-based global venture capital firm, focused on making investments in information technology and life sciences companies. Since it was founded in 1996, the firm has invested in businesses in more than 20 countries.
Index Ventures has its origins in a Swiss bond-trading firm called Index Securities, founded by Gerald Rimer in 1976. In 1992, Rimer recruited his son, Neil, to join the firm and together they launched its technology investment arm, which would evolve into an independent entity, Index Ventures. Index Ventures was officially founded in 1996 by Neil Rimer, his brother David and Giuseppe Zocco,  when they raised a pilot fund of $17 million, followed by a $180 million fund in 1998. That year the firm also launched its life sciences practice, when Francesco De Rubertis joined as a partner.  Headquartered in Geneva and Jersey, the firm opened an office in London in 2002 and in San Francisco in 2012.
The firm's partners include Ben Holmes, Bernard Dalle, Danny Rimer, David Rimer, Dominique Vidal, Francesco De Rubertis, Kevin Johnson, Giuseppe Zocco, Michele Ollier, Mike Volpi, David Grainger, Neil Rimer, Saul Klein, and Robin Klein.
Index Ventures partner Danny Rimer has been named in Fortune’s “40 under 40” list of the top rising stars in business and Forbes' Midas List of the top 25 deal makers in venture capital. Saul Klein is among the most active in the European entrepreneur community, having co-founded Seedcamp to help European entrepreneurs build technology businesses, and The Accelerator Group (TAG). Francesco De Rubertis was named by BioWorld as one of 28 “Movers & Shakers” predicted to shape the biotechnology industry over the next two decades.
Index Ventures has raised a number of venture funds, including Index Ventures I through VI; Index Growth 1 and 2; and a $200 million life sciences fund with backing from GlaxoSmithKline and Johnson & Johnson.
Among the firm's investments are the following:
- "Index Ventures' Danny Rimer on how to spot tech trends". The Guardian. September 20, 2013.
- "Index Ventures, a leading Euro VC, opens a Valley office". TechCrunch. January 14, 2011.
- "What They’re Reading". New York Times. September 5, 1995.
- "25 Rising Stars". Fortune. May 14, 2001.
- "Wall Street Journal Fast Forward: Speakers and Guests".
- "Levie, Damelin, Rimer, Onur, Klein, Khan To Speak At TechCrunch Disrupt Europe". TechCrunch. July 24, 2013.
- "A venture capitalist’s European mission". FT. April 24, 2010.
- "Veni, vidi, V.C.". University of Geneva student magazine. November 6, 2009.
- "Index Ventures forth, bridging Silicon Valley with Silicon Roundabout". November 30, 2011.
- "Index Ventures Raises $700M Fund, Opens San Francisco Office (But Keeps Focus On Europe)". November 8, 2011.
- "40 under 40: Danny Rimer". Fortune. April 24, 2010.
- "The Midas List: Tech’s Top Investors". Forbes. March 26, 2014.
- "Index Ventures creates seed fund with Kleins at the helm". April 25, 2010.
- "The Future Is Here: Who Will Shape Biotech Over the Next 20 Years? BioWorld Says…". BioWorld 20th Anniversary Edition. 2010.
- "The Index Ventures hits €350m for latest tech-focused fund". AltAssets. 18 June 2012.
- "Armed With New Fund, Index Ventures Hunts For The Next Billion-Dollar Tech Firm". Forbes.com. 11 November 2011.
- "Index Launches Its First Life Sciences Fund: $200M And Partnering With Glaxo and Johnson & Johnson". TechCrunch. March 20, 2012.
- "Portfolio". Index Ventures. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Christina Farr (16 October 2012). "With StorSimple acquisition, Microsoft turns up the heat on Rackspace, Amazon". Venture Beat. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- Index Ventures (company website)