Index of Effluency
Index of Effluency (or IOE) is the top prize awarded in the 24 Hours of LeMons automotive racing series. General criteria to win this award is a car that is too unreliable to be driven effectively on the streets yet manages to complete a decent amount of laps on the race track. IOE can be awarded to a vehicle that was deemed unreliable from the factory (e.g. Volkswagen Karmann Ghia) or a more reliable car with an unwise engine transplant (e.g. Ford Thunderbird with a BMW diesel engine).
The Index of Effluency title comes with a trophy. Prior to 2010, the trophy varied in design and was often made from recycled automotive parts. Beginning in 2010, the IOE trophy was made from heavy gauge metal and is of a racer running from an inverted car. The base of the trophy is a steel silhouette of a lemon, the series' logo. Laminated to the base is a printed label of the race name and year.
Along with the fame comes the fortune of $1501, generally paid in the form of a standard, bank issued check written by race organizer John "Jay" Lamm but occasionally paid, as is the winner on laps, in nickels. When local banks do not have enough coins in stock to pay the winner on laps, checks are drawn, but usually on a media that makes a winner's bank deposit an embarrassing experience (i.e. a toilet seat). However, IOE winners are frequently spared this layer of ridicule.
The amount of the IOE prize has changed over time. In 2008 and 2009, the prize was $500. In 2010, in order to raise the significance of the Index of Effluency over that of winning the race outright (completing the most number of laps), the IOE prize was raised to its current value $1501.
- Detroit 2007: One Night Stand Endurance Team, Chevrolet Cavalier Wagon
- Altamont 2007: Ecurie Ecrappe, Alfa Romeo Spider
- Arse-Freeze-Apaloosa 2007: Size Matters, Plymouth Fury
- Altamont 2008: Autobahn Society Racing, BMW 2002
- LeMons South 2008: Tunachuckers, 1966 Volvo 122
- LeMons New England 2008: Chard Beef Racing, Buick Regal
- LeMons Detroit(ish) 2008: The 98ers, Oldsmobile 98
- Yee-Haw It's LeMons Texas! 2008: Never Give Up, BMW 1600-2
- Arse-Freeze-Apaloosa 2008: Team B210 Racing, Datsun B210
- Gator-O-Rama 2009: Opular Dependence, 1972 Opel GT (with GM V6), MSR Houston
- South Spring 2009: Heavy Metal, Ford LTD
- Goin' For Broken 2009: Redneck Racing, 1991 Cadillac Eldorado
- Laissez Les Crapheaps Roulez 2009: LeMons of Club GP, 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
- New England 2009: Team UDMan-Trailing Throttle Oversteer, 1963 Chevrolet Corvair
- Buttonwillow Histrionics 2009: San Diego Minis (a.k.a. Team Bean), 1962 Austin Mini
- South Fall 2009: Rusty Bolt Racing, BMW 530i
- The Lamest Day 2009: Total Loss Racing, 1987 AvtoVaz Lada Signet
- Yee-Haw It's LeMons Texas 2009: Black Knight Racing (It's Just a Flesh Wound), Triumph TR7
- Arse-Freeze-Apalooza 2009: Purple LeMons Racing, Volkswagen Beetle
- Auction-Weekend Gavel-Tap GP 2010: Team Flyin' Four-Door Fortress, Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham
- Southern Discomfort 2010: Track Pillagerz, Buick LeSabreTooth
- Gator-O-Rama 2010: LRE (LeMons Racing Experiment), Datsun 240Z.
- Sears Pointless 2010: Air Prance Oui-We-Can, 1971 Citroen D Super
- American Irony 2010: Chicken and Waffles, Volkswagen Quantum Syncro wagon.
- Cain't Get Bayou 2010: Mostly Harmless Racing, Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
- Goin' For Broken 2010: Dust N Debris, Dodge Shadow
- South Spring 2010: Schumacher Taxi Service: Craptation Regurgitation, Chevy Citation
- North Dallas Hooptie 2010: Crewe Le Pew Redeaux, Renault Le Car
- Capitol Offense 2010: Misfit Toys Racing, Wartburg 311
- The B.F.E. GP 2010: Rocket Surgery Racing, Renault 4CV
- LeMons New England 2010: Police Brutality, Speedycop, 1963 Ford Thunderbird Turbodiesel
- The Arse-Sweat-Apalooza 2010: King Henry V8th, Cadillac Sedan de Ville
- Mutually Assured Destruction of Omaha 2010: Airborne Ranger Race Team, Chevrolet Beretta
- Yee-Haw It's LeMons Texas! 2010: Seven Come Eleven, Volkswagen Fastback
- LeMons South Fall 2010,: Dog Ciao Racing, Alfa Romeo Spider
- Detroit Bull Oil GP 2010: Scuderia Arugginito, Alfa Romeo Berlina
- The Rod Blagojevich Never-Say-Die 500 2010: SpeedyCop, Toyota MR2/Lancia Scorpion
- Laissez Les Crapheaps Roulez 2010: Property Devaluation Racing, Ford Fairmont wagon
- LeMons Arse-Freeze-Apalooza 2010: Italian Stallions-The Blue Meanie, Fiat 600D
- The Painfully Bland Bowl of Thin Lukewarm Oatmeal That Can't Possibly Offend Anyone, No Matter How Much They Enjoy Being Offended, 24-Hour Season Ender 2010: Adopted by Jets 2, Saab 96
- The Real Hoopties of New Jersey 2011: Gormless Racing, 1968/73 MGB GT 
- American Irony 2011: Zero Budget Racing, 1982 Chevrolet Chevette Diesel
- BOSTON TOW PARTY AND OVERHEAD-CAM BAKE 2011: Team Speedycop and the Gang of Outlaws, 1980 Pontiac Bonneville DONK
- Yee-Haw it's Texas 2012: Team Sensory Assault, barn-find 1972 Mazda RX-2
- LeMons Sears Pointless 2012: Team Oly Express, 1964 Plymouth Barracuda
- LOUDON ANNOYING 2012: Team Speedycop and the Gang of Outlaws, Viking Camper - Suzuki X-90
- The Arse-Sweat-Apalooza 2012: Team Tinworm, 1959 Humber Super Snipe
- North Dallas Hooptie 2013: Teamgravy Racing- 1974 Porsche 914 
- Capitol Offense 2013: Austin Powerless Racing, 1975 Austin Marina 
- Button Turrible 2013: Planned Obsolescence, 1979 Buick Skyhawk
- Dallas Morning News, referenced 2-12-2011.
- 24 Hours of LeMons Results, referenced 2-11-2011
- IOE New Jersey 2011, referenced 10-11-2011
- Martin, Murilee. "24 Hours of LeMons Sears Pointless: The Winners!". Car and Driver. Retrieved 30 March 2012.
- 24 Hours of LeMons North Dallas Hooptie: The Winners! - http://blog.caranddriver.com/24-hours-of-lemons-north-dallas-hooptie-the-winners/
- 24 Hours of Lemons Washington DC: The Winners! - http://blog.caranddriver.com/24-hours-of-lemons-washington-dc-the-winners/