India–Oman relations are foreign relations between India and the Sultanate of Oman. India has an embassy in Muscat, Oman. An Indian consulate was opened in Muscat in February 1955 which was upgraded to a Consulate General in 1960 and later into a full fledged Embassy in 1971. The first Ambassador of India arrived in Muscat in 1973. Oman established its Embassy in New Delhi in 1972 and a Consulate General in Mumbai in 1976. India and Oman have had trade and people to people ties for several millennia. Oman is home to a large Indian expatriate community and for Oman, India is an important trading partner. Politically, Oman has been supportive of India on international fora on issues such as Kashmir and it supports India's bid for permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council.
Trade between India and Oman has a history of several millennia and archaeological excavations in Oman have unearthed evidence to show Indo-Oman trade in the Roman and pre- Islamic times. Later, Oman had links with the Indian states in Gujarat and along the Malabar Coast. The Indian prince Tipu Sultan sent a diplomatic delegation to Oman during his reign. Sultan Taimur, the grandfather of the current ruler had spent more than 30 years in the Indian commercial capital Mumbai till his death in 1965 and he was buried there.
Expatriate community 
Oman has over five hundred thousand Indian nationals living there making them the largest expatriate community in Oman. They annually remit $ 780 million dollars to India. India is a major destination for Omani students pursuing higher studies and in recent years there have been increasing numbers of medical tourists coming into the country from Oman. Oman has also been trying to promote itself as a tourist destination in India. Annually around 12,000 Indians visit Oman on tourist visas and that number is expected to triple by 2015.
Economic relations 
In 2010, bilateral trade between India and Oman stood at $ 4.5 billion. India was Oman's second largest destination for its non-oil exports and its fourth largest source for imports. Indian and Omani firms have undertaken joint ventures in a wide range of sectors including fertilizers, pharmaceuticals, energy and engineering. The Oman-India Fertilizer Company (OMIFCO) plant at Sur in Oman and the Bharat-Oman Oil Refinery at Bina have been set up as joint ventures between Indian public sector companies and Oman Oil Company.
Gas pipeline 
India has been considering the construction of a 1,100-km-long underwater gas pipeline from Oman for transporting natural gas. Called the South Asia Gas Enterprise (SAGE), it will act as an alternative to the Iran-Pakistan-India pipeline. The proposed sub-sea pipeline will meet the additional gas requirement of the UAE, Oman and India, besides easing gas transportation issues of producing countries like Turkmenistan, Iran and Qatar. The project has been slow in materialising although it was first mooted in 1985.
Defence cooperation 
Oman is the first Gulf nation to have formalised defence relations with India. Following Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's visit to Oman in 2008, defence cooperation between the two countries was further stepped up. The Indian Navy has been utilising Oman's ports as bases for conducting anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden. The Indian Air Force has also been holding biannual joint exercises with the Royal Air Force of Oman since 2009.
See also 
- "The Embassy in Muscat". Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Oman hails UNSC seat for India". The Hindu. October 20, 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Potsherd with Tamil-Brahmi script found in Oman". The Hindu. October 28, 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "The Sultanate of Oman". Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "PM's speech at the Indian Community Reception in Oman". Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Udupi: Omani Students Celebrate National Day at Manipal Varsity". Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "48 Omani students graduate in Pune". Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Omanis opting for India as medical tourism destination". Economic Times. July 18, 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Oman goes all out to woo Indian tourists". The Hindu. January 21, 2011. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Big jump in India-Oman bilateral trade". The Hindu Businessline. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "India gives Oman nod to hike gas price for fertilizer plant". The Hindu. April 28, 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Oman Oil refuses to raise stake in Bina refinery JV". Business Standard. January 29, 2009. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "IOC seeks nod to join deep sea gas pipeline project of SAGE". The Hindu. June 19, 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "India considering deepwater gas pipeline from Oman: Report". Economic Times. September 20, 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "The Oman-India Gas Pipeline Project: Need to Resurrect Again". Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Second India-Oman joint air exercises end". The Hindu. October 22, 2011. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "India, Oman conduct first joint air exercise". The Hindu. October 31, 2009. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "India, Oman still studying undersea pipeline". The Hindu. October 30, 2009. Retrieved 20 December 2012.