India–Turkey relations refer to foreign relations between India and Turkey. Diplomatic relations were established in 1948. India has an embassy in Ankara and a consulate–general in Istanbul. Turkey has an embassy in New Delhi and a consulate-general in Mumbai.
Economic and cultural relations between ancient India and Anatolia date back to Vedic age (before 1000 BCE). During World War I, the Indian Empire played a pivotal role in the successful Allied campaign against the Ottoman Empire.
In contemporary times, relations between India and Turkey have been strained due to Turkey's strong ties with India's arch-rival Pakistan. Until recently, Turkey was a vocal advocate of Pakistan's position on the Kashmir dispute. Turkey was also one of the few opponents to India's inclusion into the Nuclear Suppliers Group. However, in recent years, the relations between the two countries have warmed due to common strategic goals, and there is a growing bilateral cooperation in the fields of education, technology and commerce. India's GMR Group is one of the main stakeholders in the new Sabiha Gökçen International Airport in Ankara.
2012: Increase in trade
On 18 March 2012, Burak Akcapar; Ambassador of the Republic of Turkey in India, announced that Turkey seeks to double flights from India, and open four more connecting points. Other destinations considered are Hyderabad, Chennai, Kolkata (Calcutta) and Bangalore. At present, Turkish Airlines operates daily flights from Mumbai and New Delhi to Istanbul. A joint study on a free trade area was conducted, but is yet to be signed. He also announced that consulates in Chennai and Hyderabad, in South India, are planned to be started, as permission had been gained from the Indian Government.
- Shyam Chaurasia, Radhey. History of Ancient India: Earliest Times to 1000 A. D. Atlantic Publishers & Dist, 2002. ISBN 9788126900275.
- J. Schmidt, Karl. An Atlas and Survey of South Asian History. M.E. Sharpe.
- Turkey-India Relations in the Framework of Ankara's New South Asian Strategy
- India and Turkey: Friends Again?, the Diplomat, July 19, 2013
- Turkey and India cement cooperation with new agreements, Trend.az, 8 October 2013
- GMR to remain invested in Istanbul airport