From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up India, india, or Índia in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
India, officially the Republic of India (Bhārat Gaṇarājya), is a country in South Asia.
India may also refer to the following items, depending upon context.
Geography and culture
- The entire Indian subcontinent
- The Indies, an appellation historically used by European colonists to refer to the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia
Main article: History of India
- India was called by the another name example wishv-guru, bird of gold, Bharatkhand, Hindustan, Aryabart etc.
The term India has historically also been used to refer to:
- Epic India, prehistoric India as described in mythological epics
- Mahajanapada, the ancient kingdoms and republics of India
- Bharat, the name commonly used for Modern India in one of its official language "Hindi"
- Hindustan, a name used for medieval India and still sometimes used for modern India
- British Raj, officially known as the British Indian Empire
- Former Union of India (1947 to 1950), the Republic of India before the adoption of its constitution
- India (East Syrian Ecclesiastical Province), a historical ecclesiastical province of the Church of the East
- La India (born 1969), salsa singer from Puerto Rico
- India.Arie (born 1975), American singer, songwriter, producer and musician
- Índia (Gal Costa album), 1973
- India (Vega album), 2003
- India (Xandria album), 2005
- "India", a track on Impressions by John Coltrane
- "India", a track on Tribe by Sadist
- "India", a track on The Psychedelic Furs's self-titled album
- "India", a track on Avalon by Roxy Music
- "India", a track on Virtuoso by Edvin Marton
- India (given name), a personal name
- India (entertainer) (born 1977), pornographic actress, singer and rap artist
- India (cat) (1990–2009), George W. Bush's pet cat
- India (Battle honour), a battle honour awarded to regiments of the British Army between 1787 and 1826
- India class submarine, a military submarine design of the Soviet Union
- India tag, an item of stationery
- Inđija, a town in Serbia whose name means "India" in archaic Serbian
- India, a village in Butor Commune, Transnistria
- The letter "I" in the NATO phonetic alphabet and the Federal Aviation Administration aviation phonetic letters
- Pakistan,Burma/Myanmar and Bangladesh, historically parts of British India.
- Names of India
- Indian (disambiguation)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title India.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.