The Indian Century or India as an emerging superpower is a neologism referring to the possibility that the 21st century will be dominated by India, similarly to how the 20th century is often called the American Century, and the 19th century the British Century.[disputed ] It is used particularly in the assertion that the Indian economy shall grow and overtake the economy of the United States as the largest economy in the world, although the PRC is often labelled as the worlds future largest economy as well.
According to economic historian Angus Maddison in his book The World Economy: A Millennial Perspective, India was the richest country in the world and had the world's largest economy during 0 BCE and 1000 BCE. Also for most of the period when China was the dominant economy in the world, India held the second position of the largest economy.
Many industries are established in the country due to investments in technology and in the professionalisation of manpower, in addition to its tradition of Exact Sciences.[clarification needed] However, several problems such as economic, political, and social problems need to be overcome to be considered a superpower. It also does not[dubious ] have much global influence as compared to other countries like the United States[dubious ].
See also 
- O Status da Rússia na Política Internacional: de Superpotência a Emergente? - Universidade Estadual de São Paulo Júlio Mesquita
- "21st century is going to be Indian century: Alagappan." December 1, 2007. OneIndia News/(UNI).
- Halliwell, Martin; Catherine Morley (2008). American Thought and Culture in the 21st Century. Edinburgh University Press. pp. 9–10. ISBN 978-0748626021.
- "'India will be the biggest superpower'".
- "The World Economy (GDP) : Historical Statistics by Professor Angus Maddison". World Economy. Retrieved 21 May, 2013.
- Maddison, Angus (2006). The World Economy - Volume 1: A Millennial Perspective and Volume 2: Historical Statistics. OECD Publishing by Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. p. 656. ISBN 9789264022621.
- A Índia como economia emergente: a importância das energias renováveis na estratégia de sustentabilidade energética - Universidade Tecnológica de Lisboa
- O outro Vale do Silício - Veja Online
- A Índia e a nova ordem mundial Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
- "India 2025: What kind of superpower?". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2011-01-09. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Meredith, R (2008) The Elephant and the Dragon: The Rise of India and China and What it Means for All of Us, "W.W Norton and Company" ISBN 9780393331936
Additional sources 
- "‘India’s decade could pave way for an Indian century’." Hindustan Times.
- "Real India: A Historian's Cautions on "The Indian Century" (AUDIO)." Huffington Post.
- "Is this the Indian century?" The Guardian.
|This India-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This economics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|