Indian Council of Agricultural Research
|Indian Council of Agricultural Research|
|Established||16 July 1929|
|Budget||Rs. 4957.60 crores|
|Location||New Delhi, Delhi, India|
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi, India is an autonomous organisation under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education, Ministry of Agriculture, government of India. Formerly known as the Imperial Council of Agricultural Research, it was established in 1929 as a registered society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 in pursuance of the report of the Royal Commission on Agriculture. ICAR has its headquarters at New Delhi.
The Council is the apex body for coordinating, guiding and managing research and education in agriculture including horticulture, fisheries and animal sciences in the country. It has 99 ICAR institutes and 53 agricultural universities spread across the country.
The ICAR has played a role in enabling the country to increase the production of foodgrains by four, horticultural crops by six, fish by nine (marine five and inland 17, milk six times and eggs 27 times since 1950..
- 1 Mandate
- 2 Organization
- 3 Milestones
- 4 ICAR institutions
- 5 ICAR Headquarters
- 6 All India Agriculture Entrance Examination
- 7 Agricultural Research Service
- 8 Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board
- 9 ICAR Merits & Awards
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
- To plan, undertake, aid, promote and co-ordinate education, research and its application in agriculture, agroforestry, animal husbandry, fisheries, home science and allied sciences.
- To act as clearing house of research and general information relating to agriculture, home science and fisheries through its publications and information system, and instituting and promoting transfer of technology programmes.
- To provide, undertake and promote consultancy services in the fields of education, research, training and dissemination of information in agriculture, agroforestry, animal husbandry, fisheries, home science and allied sciences.
- To look into problems relating to broader areas of rural development concerning agriculture, including post-harvest technology, by developing co-operative programmes with other organizations such as the Indian Council of Social Sciences Research, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, and universities.
The Committee to Advise on Renovation and Rejuvenation of Higher Education (Yashpal Committee, 2009) has recommended setting up of a constitutional body — the National Commission for Higher Education and Research — which would be a unified supreme body to regulate all branches of higher education including agricultural education. Presently, regulation of agricultural education is the mandate of ICAR, Veterinary Council of India (Veterinary sub-discipline) and Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (Forestry sub-discipline). The UPA government has included Yashpal Committee recommendations in its '100 days agenda'.
ICAR has the following organizational structure :
- Union Minister of Agriculture is the ex-officio President of the ICAR Society.
- Secretary, Department of Agricultural Research & Education Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India & Director-General, ICAR – the Principal Executive Officer of the Council.
- Governing Body is the policy-making authority
- Agricultural Scientists' Recruitment Board
- Deputy Directors-General (8)
- Additional Secretary (DARE) and Secretary (ICAR)
- Additional Secretary and Financial Advisor
- 24 Assistant Directors-General
- National Director, National Agricultural Innovation Project
- Directorate of Information and Publications of Agriculture
ICAR has two bodies:
- The General Body, the supreme authority of the ICAR, is headed by the Minister of Agriculture, Government of India
- The Governing Body which is the chief executive and decision making authority of the ICAR. It is headed by the Director-General.
- 1957: Initiation of the first All-India Co-ordinated Research Project on maize.
- 1958: Status of Deemed University accorded to IARI.
- 1960: Establishment of the first State Agricultural University on land grant pattern at Pantnagar.
- 1966: Placement of agricultural research institutes under the purview of ICAR.
- 1973: Creation of the Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE) in the Ministry of Agriculture.
- 1974: Opening of first Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) in Puducherry.
- 1975: Establishment of Agricultural Research Service and Agricultural Scientists' Recruitment Board.
- 1979: Launching of Lab-to-Land Programme and the National Agricultural Research Project (NARP).
- 1995: Initiation of institution-village linkage programme (IVLP).
- 1996: Establishment of National Gene Bank at New Delhi.
- 1989: The ICAR was bestowed with the King Baudouin Award for its contribution in ushering in the Green Revolution. Again awarded King Baudouin Award in 2004 for research and development efforts made under partnership in Rice Wheat Consortium.
- Launching of National Agricultural Technology Project (NATP) in 1998 and National Agricultural Innovation Project (NAIP) in 2005
- As of July, 2006 it has developed a vaccine against bird flu.The vaccine was developed at the High Security Animal Disease Laboratory, Bhopal, the only facility in the country to conduct tests for the H5N1 variant of bird flu.It was entrusted with the task of developing a vaccine by the ICAR after the Avian Influenza outbreak in February. The ICAR provided Rs. 8 crore for the purpose.
- 2009: In December 2009, it announced that it was considering a policy to provide open access to its research.
- ICAR scientists were the first in the world to sequence the pigeon pea genome. it was a purely indigenous effort by 31 scientists led by Nagendra Kumar Singh of NRCPB. The first draft of the sequence was published in J. Plant Biochem. Biotechnol
- Four Deemed Universities
- 45 ICAR Institutions
- Six National Bureaux
- 25 Project Directorates
- 18 National Research Centres
- 138 Substations of ICAR Institutes
- 61 AICRPs (All India Coordinated Research Projects)
- 10 Other Projects
- 17 Network Projects
- Eight Zonal Project Directorates
- 633 Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs)
- Zone I – 62 KVKs
- Zone II – 77 KVKs
- Zone III – 70 KVKs
- Zone IV – 79 KVKs
- Zone V – 55 KVKs
- Zone VI – 57 KVKs
- Zone VII – 93 KVKs
- Zone VIII – 76 KVKs
- The Krishi Vigyan Kendra Kannur located in the premises of the Pepper Research Station at Panniyur is a front-line agricultural extension institution. The compact area group approach (CAGA) against coconut mite, Paddy Task Force to combat labour shortage in rice farming, first ever Farmers' Science Congress, pioneering a new branch of agricultural extension called Creative Extension are a few of the contributions made by the Kendra. The subsurface dyke constructed at KVK as part of demonstrating rain water harvesting technologies has become an example of an effective method for ground water conservation.
- 45 State Agricultural Universities (SAUs)
- 1 Central Agricultural University and
- 4 Central Universities having faculty of agriculture
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
- Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute, New Delhi India
- National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Central Research Institute for Dryland Agriculture, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Central Soil Salinity Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana
- National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal
- National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal, Haryana
- Central Avian Research Institute, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
- Central Institute for Cotton Research, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Central Institute for Research on Buffalo (CIRB), Hisar
- Central Institute for Research on Cotton Technology, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai
- Central Institute for Research on Goats, Mathura, U.P.
- Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research, Lucknow, U.P.
- Central Institute for Subtropical Horticulture, Lucknow, U.P.
- Central Institute of Agricultural Engineering, Bhopal, M.P.
- Indian Institute of Soil Science, Bhopal, Madhaya Pradesh
- Central Institute of Arid Horticulture, Bikaner, Rajasthan
- Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture, Chennai
- Central Institute of Post Harvest Engineering & Technology, Ludhiana, Punjab
- Central Institute of Temperate Horticulture, Srinagar, J&K
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Cochin
- Central Institute of Fisheries Technology, Cochin
- Central Plantation Crops Research Institute, Kasaragod
- Central Arid Zone Research Institute, Jodhpur, Rajasthan
- Central Potato Research Institute, Shimla, H.P.
- Central Research Institute for Jute and Allied Fibres, Barrackpore, West Bengal 
- Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute, Barrackpore, West Bengal 
- Central Rice Research Institute, Cuttack, Orissa
- Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute, Avikanagar
- Central Soil and Water Conservation Research and Training Institute, Dehradun, Uttarakhand
- Central Tobacco Research Institute, Rajamundry
- Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- ICAR Research Complex for Eastern Region, Patna, Bihar
- ICAR Research Complex for Goa, Goa
- ICAR Research Complex for NEH Region, Ri Bhoi,
- Central Agricultural Research Institute, Port Blair
- Indian Grassland & Fodder Research Institute, Jhansi, U.P.
- Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bengaluru
- National Institute of Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Indian Institute of Natural Resins and Gums, Ranchi
- Indian Institute of Pulses Research, Kanpur, U.P.
- Indian Institute of Spices Research, Marikunnu, Kerala
- Indian Institute of Vegetable Research, Varanasi, U.P.
- National Institute of Research on Jute and Allied Fibre Technology, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Sugarcane Breeding Institute, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Vivekananda Parvatiya Krishi Anusandhan Sansthan, Almora, Uttarakhand
- Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture, Bhubaneshwar, Orissa
- National Bureau of Agriculturally Important Micro Organisms, Mau Nath Bhanjan, Uttar Pradesh
- National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources, Karnal, Haryana
- National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources, New Delhi
- National Bureau of Soil Survey & Land Use Planning, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- National Bureau of Agriculturally Important Insects, Bangalore
- Directorate of Groundnut Research, Junagarh, Gujarat
- Directorate of Maize Research, New Delhi
- Directorate of Rice Research, Hyderabad
- Directorate of Wheat Research, Karnal
- Directorate of Oilseed Research, Hyderabad
- Directorate of Seed Research, Mau
- Directorate of Sorghum Research, Hyderabad
- Directorate of Soybean Research, Indore
- Directorate of Rapeseed & Mustard Research, Bharatpur
- Directorate of Mushroom Research, Solan
- Directorate on Onion and Garlic Research, Pune
- Directorate of Cashew Research, Puttur
- Directorate of Oil Palm Research, Pedavegi, West Godawari
- Directorate of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Research, Anand 
- Directorate of Floriculture Research, Pusa, New Delhi
- Project Directorate for Farming Systems Research, Modipuram
- Directorate of Water Management Research, Bhubaneshwar
- Directorate of Weed Science Research, Jabalpur
- Project Directorate on Cattle, Meerut
- Project Directorate on Foot & Mouth Disease, Mukteshwar
- Project Directorate on Poultry, Hyderabad
- Project Directorate on Animal Disease Monitoring and Surveillance, Hebbal, Bangalore
- Directorate of Knowledge Management in Agriculture (DKMA), New Delhi
- Directorate of Cold Water Fisheries Research, Bhimtal, Nainital
- Directorate of Research on Women in Agriculture, Bhubaneshwar
National Research Centre
- National Centre for Agril. Economics & Policy Research, New Delhi
- National Centre for Integrated Pest Management, New Delhi
- National Research Centre for Agroforestry, Jhansi
- National Research Centre for Banana, Trichi
- National Research Centre for Citrus, Nagpur
- National Research Centre for Grapes, Pune
- National Research Centre for Litchi, Muzaffarpur
- National Research Centre for Pomegranate, Solapur
- National Research Centre on Camel, Bikaner
- National Research Centre for Makhana(foxnut), Darbhanga
- National Research Centre on Equines, Hisar
- National Research Centre on Meat, Hyderabad
- National Research Centre on Mithun, Medziphema, Nagaland
- National Research Centre on Orchids, Pakyong, Sikkim
- National Research Centre on Pig, Guwahati
- National Research Centre on Plant Biotechnology, New Delhi
- National Research Centre Seed Spices, Ajmer
- National Research Centre on Yak, West Kemang
- Krishi Vigyan Kendra – Mahabaleshwar, Maharashtra
- All India Coordinated Project of Micro and Secondary Nutrients and Pollutant Elements in Soils & Plants
- Krishi Bhavan,
- Dr Rajendra Prasad Road,
- New Delhi – 110114
- 91-11-25842787, 23388842
- www.icar.org.in 
All India Agriculture Entrance Examination
The ICAR conducts an entrance test for a reserved pool of 15% seats in all undergraduate courses in agriculture and allied fields in all agriculture universities of India. The syllabus is parallel to PMTs especially AIPMT. There is a rule aimed at increasing admissions from more number of states by allowing only 40% seats from a state.
Agricultural Research Service
The Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board (ASRB) conducts all India competitive examination Agricultural Research Service (ARS), to recruit posts in the ARS of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board
The Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board (ASRB) website) was established on 1 November 1973 as an independent recruitment agency for all the posts of ICAR in pursuance of the recommendations of the Gajendragadkar Committee.
- Recruitment to posts in the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) of the ICAR and to such other posts and services that the President, ICAR, may specify from time to time.
- Rendering such other assistances to the Council in personnel matters, including promotion, as may be required by the President, ICAR.
- Advising the Council on disciplinary matters relating to personnel recruited through ASRB or appointed by the Council in consultation with the Board.
- Recruitment to entry level scientific positions of the ARS through an All-India Competitive Examination.
- Induction of existing scientists of the ICAR to ARS under the initial constitution of ARS.
- Assessment for merit promotion and grant of advance increments to scientists of the ARS.
- To conduct National Eligibility Test, which is a prerequisite for the initial recruitment as Assistant Professor/Lecturer in the State Agricultural Universities.
- Recruitment to posts in the Combined cadres of Administrative Officers/Finance & Accounts Officers of the ICAR which are required to be filled by direct recruitment.
- Choudhary Devi Lal Outstanding All-India Coordinated Research Project Award
- Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Award
- Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed Award for Tribal Areas
- Hari Om Ashram Trust Award
- Jawaharlal Nehru Award for outstanding doctoral thesis research
- Vasantrao Naik Award
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Young Scientist Award
- Bharat Ratna Dr C Subramaniam Outstanding Teacher Award
- Punjab Rao Deshmukh Woman Agricultural Scientist Award
- Chaudhary Charan Singh Award for Excellence in Journalism in Agricultural Research and Development
- N.G. Ranga Farmer Award for Diversified Agriculture
- Jagjivan Ram Kisan Puruskar
- Swamy Sahajanand Saraswati Extension Scientist/ Worker Award
- ICAR Award for Outstanding Multidisciplinary Team Research in Agriculture and Allied Sciences
- National Krishi Vigyan Kendra Award
- Dr Rajendra Prasad Puruskar for Technical Books in Hindi in The Field of Agriculture and Allied Sciences
- Udyan Pandit Award for excellence in fruit growing
- Randhawa, MS (1979) A history of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research 1929-1979. ICAR, New Delhi.
- Electronic journals published by the ICAR
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneswar