Indian Council of Historical Research
The Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR) is a fund-disbursing agency that supports the academic and empirical research of scholars using funds received from the Department of Higher Education in the Ministry of Human Resource Development. Based in Delhi, ICHR does not carry out any historical research of its own. Established in 1972, it is registered under the Societies Registration Act of 1860 with the Department of Industries of Delhi Government, Delhi.
The ICHR was formed as a Society by historians R.S.Sharma, who became the first chairman of the ICHR, Satish Chandra, J.S. Garewal and M.N. Prasad, who was then the Director of the National Archives of India.
- to bring historians together and provide a forum for exchange of views between them;
- to give a national direction to an objective and scientific writing of history and to have rational presentation and interpretation of history;
- to promote, accelerate and coordinate research in history with special emphasis on areas which have not received adequate attention so far;
- to promote and coordinated a balanced distribution of research effort over different areas;
- to elicit support and recognition for historical research from all concerned and ensure the necessary dissemination and use of results.
ICHR is fully funded by Grants-in-Aid from the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development. ICHR also receives funds from the various state governments of India, from other Ministries and from the private individuals.
ICHR received money for research on medieval Emperor Akbar and Guru Gobind Singh (Tenth Guru of the Sikh Community in India). ICHR also received funding for the research during the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the First War of Indian Independence of 1857.
Fellowships and grants
The following fellowships and grants are disbursed throughout the year.
- Junior Research Fellowship
- General (Post-Doctoral) Fellowship
- Senior Research Fellowship
- Research Project
- Contingency (Study- cum-Travel) Grant
- Foreign Travel Grant
- Publication Subsidy
- Seminar/Workshop/Conference Grant
- National Fellowship
- Senior Academic Fellowship
- Publication Subsidy
- Grant for holding Seminar and Conferences.
The ICHR has no office building of its own. It has been housed in a rented building since 1972.
ICHR has been reconstituted by the Department of Higher Education every three years. The Chairman is nominated for a period of three years by the Department of Higher Education. The members of the Council of ICHR are also nominated by the Department of Higher Education.
The Council of ICHR was last reconstituted in July 2014. The chairman of ICHR is Y.S.RAO
- R.S. Sharma, 1972 - 1977
- A.R. Kulkarni, 1978 - 1981
- Niharranjan Ray, 1981 - 1981
- Lokesh Chandra, 1982 - 1985
- Irfan Habib, 1986 - 1993
- Ravinder Kumar, 1993 - 1996
- S. Settar, 1996 - 1999
- K.S. Sarma (acting), 1999 - 1999
- B.R. Grover, 1999 - 2001
- K.S. Lal, 2001 - 2001
- M.G.S. Narayanan, 2001 - 2003
- Kumud Bansal (acting), 2003 - 2004
- D.N. Tripathi, 2004 - 2007
- K.M. Acharya (acting), 2007 - 2007
- Sabyasachi Bhattacharya, 4 March 2007 – 3 March 2010
- Sabyasachi Bhattacharya ("Acting") 4 April 2010 – 20 May 2011
- Basudev Chatterjee 20 May 2011-
- Yellapragada Sudershan Rao 2 July 2014 -
- Professor B.R. Grover (1975-1986)
- Dr. T.R. Sareen (1986-1997)
- Wing Commander Dr. Sushil Kumar (1997-2010)
- Professor M.G.S. Narayanan (1990-1991) (On Deputation from Calicut University)
- Professor T.K.V. Subramaniam (1998-1999) (On Deputation from Delhi University)
- Dr. R.C. Agrawal (2001-2003) (On Deputation from Archaeological Survey of India)
- Dr. P.K. Shukla (2004-2007)
- Dr. Ishrat Alam (2008-2011) ( On Deputation from Aligarh Muslim University)
The ICHR publishes two journals: the Indian Historical Review (bi-annually) and Itihas (in Hindi). In addition, it provides publication subsidies to seminars, books, congress proceedings and journals.
- ICHR Website
- Indian Council of Historical Research - Sudhir Chandra - Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 7, No. 28 (Jul. 8, 1972), pp. 1311-1313 - Published by: Economic and Political Weekly
- Society Name Search at www.delhi.gov.in