Indian Hill High School
|Indian Hill High School|
|6865 Drake Road
Indian Hill, Ohio, (Hamilton County), 45243
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Indian Hill Exempted Village School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Mark Miles|
|Principal||Dr. Antonio Shelton|
|Asst. Principal||Jennifer Ulland|
|Color(s)||Red and White|
|Athletics conference||Cincinnati Hills League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|USNWR ranking||116 (2009, Newsweek)|
|Athletic Director||Jeff Zidron|
Indian Hill High School is a public high school near Cincinnati, Ohio. It is the only high school in the Indian Hill Exempted Village School District. In 2007, Indian Hill High School was ranked 48th in the nation in U.S. News and World Report Top 100 High Schools, placing it ahead of Walnut Hills High School and Wyoming High School as the top public high school in the Tri-State area, though Wyoming High School overtook Indian Hill once again in the most recent state rankings. In addition, it placed 116th on Newsweek Magazine's 2009 Top 1500 High School Rankings and was named a 2007 U.S. Blue Ribbon School.
Indian Hill High School offers a very vigorous college-prep curriculum, mainly in the honors and AP courses. The school offers a total of 21 AP courses. Students are required to take the AP exam if they take the AP course. In the spring of 2007, 266 students took 682 Advanced Placement exams. 83 percent of these students received a 3 or better on the exams. In the class of 2007, Indian Hill also boasted 73 AP Scholars and 20 National Merit Semi-Finalists/Commended Students, representing 36 percent and 10 percent of the class, respectively. The school also offers a very prestigious, nationally recognized Latin program; the Latin Club functions as a local chapter of both the Ohio Junior Classical League (OJCL) and National Junior Classical League (NJCL), and Indian Hill's Latin chair recently served as president of the American Classical League (ACL).
Indian Hill plays in the Cincinnati Hills League.
Indian Hill is known for its excellent tennis program. The girls team has won the CHL for the last 13 years and in fall of 2008, they made it to the elite eight in the state tournament. In fall of 2009, the girls varsity team placed 4th in the state after close matches against Lexington and Columbus Academy.
Mock Trial Program
Indian Hill's Mock Trial program fielded the winning team and 6th place team of the Ohio Mock Trial state competition in 2009. In 2009, the Indian Hill Mock Trial Program won 1st place at the District competition, 1st and 2nd place at the Regional competition and, after winning state, they then went on to place 11th at the national competition. Indian Hill has repeatedly ranked multiple teams in the top ten in years prior. In 2010 they fielded 6 teams. Indian Hill won 1st place at the District competition and had 5/6 of their teams advance to the Regional level. Indian Hill went on to win 1st and 2nd place at the regional competition and took two teams to the state competition. At the state competition, Indian Hill won 1st place for the second year in a row. The program's State Champion finish earned them their second consecutive bid to the National High School Mock Trial Championship, which was held in Philadelphia, PA. Indian Hill's team placed 8th in the national competition. In 2012, the Indian Hill Red Team won the school's third state championship and earned a bid to the National Championship in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where they placed 35th. In 2013, Indian Hill once again took 1st place in the State Championship. The program is run by faculty advisor Steve Reger.
- Michael Gruber - Broadway actor
- Julie Hagerty - actress
- Paul Hackett - Democratic politician, Iraqi War Veteran
- Tom Tsuchiya - sculptor
- Ted Bolser - TE drafted by the Redskins in 2014
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2010-02-17.[dead link]
- "Three high schools make U.S. News' 'best' ranking". 30 November 2007.
- High School Named Blue Ribbon Aw
- "2009 Convention – Club Point Summary" (PDF). Ohio Junior Classical League. 2009. Retrieved 10 August 2009.
- "2010 State Convention – Club Point Summary" (PDF). OJCL.org. Ohio Junior Classical League. 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2010.
- "Constitution of the Ohio Junior Classical League" (PDF). Ohio Junior Classical League. March 2008. Retrieved 18 September 2009. "...by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL."
- "ACL Officers". ACL official website. American Classical League. 2010. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- "2009 Championship Results". National High School Mock Trial Championship. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- "2010 Championship Results". National High School Mock Trial Championship. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- "2012 Championship Results". National High School Mock Trial Championship. Retrieved 5 August 2012.