Indian Idol (season 2)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014)|
|Broadcast from||November 21, 2005 – April 22, 2006|
|Host(s)||Aman Verma, Mini Mathur|
|Song||"Mere Saath Saara Jahaan"|
|◀ 2006 ►|
Agla Kaun ?
|(with dates of elimination)|
|N.C. Karunya||Runner up|
|Anuj Sharma||April 4|
|Amey Date||March 14|
|Antara Mitra||March 7|
|Meenal Jain||February 28|
|Ravi Tripathi||February 21|
|Panna Gill||February 14|
|Monali Thakur||February 7|
|Neha Kakkar||January 31|
|Jolly Das||Dropped out|
|Yashashree Bhave||January 24|
|Sagar Sawarkar||January 17|
The second season of Indian Idol began on November 21, 2005 and concluded on April 22, 2006. It was hosted by Mini Mathur and Aman Verma. Anu Malik, Farah Khan and Sonu Nigam returned to judge. Sandeep Acharya won the competition. It is the first and only season with a male fourth place finalist (Amey Date). The last standing female contestant Antara Mitra came in fifth place.
Thousands were rejected. Some of them were:
- Amarjeet Sing, "Pardesi jana nahin."
- Sunil Kumar Pandey, "Dilber mere".
- Kishore Kumar Kamila sang, “tune muhje bulaya sherawaliye”.
- Paramanand, a teacher, sang "Meeenaaa!"
- Chandrapaul was a kisan. He sang "Dard E Dil." and was rejected.
- Arun Roy performed in a clown fashion "Ha Pehli Bar". He was rejected.
- Mrinal had come against his parents' wishes. He sang "Tadap Tadap Ke" but was told that a musical career is not for him.
- Abhinav touched the feet of Anu Malik before singing "Aslam Bhai" and was rejected.
- Mohit had girly clothes, makeup and a candle in hand as he sang "Silsila Ye Chahat Ka."
- Shahrikh Khan sang "Aye Chand Teri", impressed Farah but not Anu and Sonu. He was rejected.
- Aloke wore a long orange wig which he talked about before singing "Sun Barsaane Wali" and "Tu Hi Re". He was rejected by three amused judges.
- Harshita Pathak was a young girl who entered the contest for her mother, and admitted to having no knowledge of music. She was rejected.
- Lopa was beautiful and stylish. Sang "Nahin Nayi Nahin Ye Baatein" and was rejected.
- Mohua Mukherjee quit her job for her childhood dream of fame. She sang "Nahin Nayi Nahin" and was rejected.
- A hippy wearing glitzy clothes and a wig turned up at the auditions and barged her way through to the audition room. She sang and then revealed that she was Usha Uthup.
- Manoj Kumar sang "Tanhai" and was out of melody completely. He was rejected.
- Swapan, a purohit, was rejected after singing "Tum Mile".
- Shravan sang "Aashiq Banaya Aapne" in a speaking voice. He was rejected.
The theater round is held in Mumbai. Many contestants were cut, including:
- Shekh Shakeel Aneez, a man who had lost a hand in a blast, was eliminated.
- Mohammad Rehan Khan, a man with only one leg, who sold T-shirts and was a student, was eliminated in the theater round.
- Mohammad Shoaib was eliminated in the theater round.
- Deepak Hela was a man with no electricity at home, who had become bald by choice. After singing two songs to try and impress all the judges he was in the theater round. But he was then eliminated.
In the Semi-Finals, or Piano Rounds (the contestants sang only to a piano accompaniment), the Top 28 were split into 4 groups of 7; two male and two female groups. One group performed each week. Then out of the 7, the top 4 were announced, and the remaining 3 were instantly eliminated. From the Top 4, only the three who received the most votes went on to the finals. However, in the first piano round, there was a tie between two contestants so they announced a Top 5 and the Top 3 from those five. The piano rounds began December 12 and ended January 3. During the Piano Rounds, 16 contestants were eliminated, 8 girls and 8 boys. However, Jolly Das had to be eliminated after making it to the finals due to chickenpox. Semi-finalist Anuj Sharma was brought back in her place, so the 16 contestants eliminated were 9 girls and 7 boys. A detailed profile of the semi-finalists follows after those of the Top 12 (in separate female/male parts.)
Top vote-getters: 1.N. C. Karunya, 2.Monali Thakur, 3.Sandeep Acharya, 4.Antara Mitra Second highest votes: 1.Sagar Sawarkar, 2.Neha Kakkar, 3.Panna Gill, 4.Meenal Jain Third highest votes: 1.Ravi Tripathi, 2.Yashashree Bhave, 3.Amey Date, 4.Jolly Das (who was eliminated, and Anuj Sharma brought back)
Semi-final women eliminated
- Jolly Das (born November 8, 1980) was born in West Bengal and lives in Kolkata. She graduated in Music from Rabindra Bharati University. Jolly's family consists of her parents and younger brother. Jolly received the third highest votes in the piano rounds and was in the finals - but she contracted chickenpox and was eliminated, but will be brought back next season.
- "Kabhi Neem Neem"
- Dilpreet (born September 13, 1985) was born in New Delhi and lives there. She is in her Final Year BA Honours in Music from Delhi University. Her family consists of her father, mother and younger sister. Dilpreet managed to reach the Top 4 in the piano round, but lost the spot in the galas to Yashashree Bhave by only 500 votes and fainted. The judges were all in shock.
- "Bekarar Kar Hi Dala" - Eliminated 20/12/2005
- Jyotsna Navandar was born in Pune and lives in Mumbai currently. She has a BSc in Geology from Fergusson College, Pune. Her family consists of her parents, three sisters and a brother. Jyotsna reached the Top 4. The judges thought she had the best performance of the night, but Jyotsna lost the spot in the galas to Jolly Das (who in turn lost it to Anuj Sharma due to chickenpox).
- "Ek Bagiya Main" - Eliminated 03/01/2006
- Lekha Desai was born in Mumbai and lives there currently. She has a graduate from Mithibai College, Mumbai. Her family consists of her parents. Lekha did not make the Top 4 and was eliminated.
- "Dil Ko Hazaar Baar" - Eliminated 03/01/2006
- Sandipa Dutta was born in Kolkata and lives there currently. She is pursuing her MCA. Her family consists of her parents. Sandipa, despite receiving rave reviews from the judges, did not make the Top 4 and was eliminated.
- "Mahi Ve" - Eliminated 03/01/2006
- Saberri Bhattacharya' was born in Kolkata and lives there currently. She has an MA in English from the University of Calcutta. Her family consists of her parents and younger sister. Saberri did not make the Top 4 and was eliminated.
- "Jadu Hai Nasha" - Eliminated 03/01/2006
- Aabha Hanjura (born November 8, 1987) was born in Kashmir and lives in Bangalore currently. She is in her first year of B.Com. Her family consists of her parents and a brother. Aabha was not in the Top 4 in the piano round results and was eliminated.
- "Margaye Ishq Main" - Eliminated 20/12/2005
- Ritu Pathak (born September 4, 1987) was born in Madhya Pradesh and lives there currently. She is pursuing her bachelor's degree. Her family consists of her parents, sister and a brother. Ritu had a huge crush on Sonu Nigam. Ritu was not in the Top 4 in the piano round results and was eliminated. Ritu is the singer of the song Gandi Baat from the film R... Rajkumar.
- "I Wanna Love" - Eliminated 20/12/2005
- Renuka Deshpande (born June 3, 1989) was born in Madhya Pradesh and lives there currently. She is still in school; in Class XI. Her family consists of her parents and a brother. Renuka was not in the Top 4 in the piano round results despite rave reviews and was eliminated.
- "Man Sat Samandar Dol Gaya" - Eliminated 20/12/2005
Semi-final men eliminated
- Kshitij Wagh (born October 21, 1977) in Gwalior. He resides in Mumbai and has a B.Sc. in Electronics from Delhi University & Advanced Diploma in Software Engineering from CDAC, New Delhi. His family consists of his parents, sister and wife Neeti. He made the Top Five in the first piano round but was eliminated despite rave reviews. She later sang a song named Mehki Mehki with Shreya Ghoshal for the film Game starring Abhishek Bachchan, Kangana Ranaut and Sarah Jane Dias.
- "Dilbar mere" - Eliminated 13/12/2006
- Mukesh Tomar (born May 15, 1984) was born in Delhi and lives there currently. He has an MA in Music. His family consists of his parents, sister and a brother. Mukesh was in the Top 5 in the piano round results but was eliminated.
- "Tera Milna Pal Do Pal Ka" - Eliminated 13/12/2006
- Nakash Aziz (born February 24, 1985) was born in Karnataka and lives in Mumbai currently. He has a TYBA from Patkar College, Mumbai. His family consists of his parents. Nakash was not in the Top 4 in the piano round results (on his father's birthday) and was eliminated. He is the singer of the song Gandi baat for Shahid Kapoor starrer R.. Rajkumar in 2013.
- "Bheegi Bheegi Raaton Mein" - Eliminated 27/12/2006
- Javed Khan (born April 26, 1986) was born in New Delhi and lives there currently. He has a BA from Hindu College, Delhi. His family consists of his parents and three brothers. Javed was not in the Top 4 in the piano round results and was eliminated.
- "Saathiya Tere Bina" - Eliminated 27/12/2006
- Desh Gaurav Singh (born December 5, 1985) was born in Uttar Pradesh and lives in New Delhi currently. He has an MA in Vocal Music from Delhi University. His family consists of his parents, brother and sister. Desh Gaurav was not in the Top 4 in the piano round results and was eliminated.
- "Tera Jadoo Chal Gaya" - Eliminated 27/12/2006
- Rohit Raj Sinha (born September 18, 1982) was born in Allahabad and lives there currently. He has a Business Graduate from AIDU. His family consists of his parents and a brother. Rohit was not in the Top 5 in the piano round results and was eliminated.
- "Tu Mile Dil Khile" - Eliminated 13/12/2006
- Shreekumar (born May 28, 1982) in Kerala. He resides in Mumbai and has a B.Com from Delhi University. His family consists of his parents and younger brother. He did not make the Top Five in the first piano round but was eliminated despite rave reviews.
- "Ae Ajnabi" - Eliminated 13/12/2006
It is written next to the contestant's performance if they were in the Bottom 3 or 2, or won, or were the runnerup, or received the highest votes then. If there is nothing written, then they were safe. Also, the majority of the Top 3 performances were in live concerts, and only 2 each were performed in the studio.
- Sandeep Acharya was born on Febary 4, 1985 in Bikaner and was living in Mumbai until his death. He had a Bachelor of Science. His family consists of his parents, two sisters and a brother. Sandeep Acharya had the classic Indian playback singer's voice and has often been compared to the great Udit Narayan of Indian playback. He found a keen interest and love in Indian music from a tender age and has been training for a career in the same since then.
- Nasha Pyaar Ka - Highest Votes
- Janam Dekh Lo
- Papa Kehte Hain
- Kaun Hai Jo Sapnon Mein Aaya
- Tere Naam - Bottom 3 14/02/2006
- Main Nikla Gaddi Leke
- Mehndi Laga Ke Rakhna - Bottom 2 07/03/2006
- Holi Khele Raghuveera
- Rut Aa Gayi Re
- Kaho Na Pyaar Hai - 27/03/2006
- Jhalak Dikhlaja - Highest votes 04/04/2006
- Is Pyaar Ko Mai - Highest votes 04/04/2006
- Zindagi - Highest votes 04/04/2006
- Dekha Na Haye Re - Winner 22/04/06
- Mere Jaisa Koi Kahaan
- Hawao Ne Yeh Kaha -
- Eena Meena Deeka - Sandeep special
- Aye Dilruba kitna hasi mela - Sandeep special
- Aye Watan - Sandeep special
- Sitaron ki mehfil - Winner 22/04/06
- Raja miya chdtho yaari - Winner 22/04/06
- Gulaabi ankhen yeh tera dekhe - Winner 22/04/06
- Rukh jaa woh dil deewani - Winner 22/04/06
- Tumse milke dil ka - Winner 22/04/06
- N. C. Karunya was born on March 1, 1986 in Hyderabad and currently lives in Hyderabad. He is in B-Tech (Third Year) in Electronics & Communications. His family consists of his parents and younger sister. Audiences across the country have fallen in love with his voice and the change in his personality and appearance they've seen through the show.
- Layi Vi Na Gayi - Highest votes
- Chak De - Bottom 3 17/01/2006
- Kaava Kaava
- Aye Meri Zohra Jabeen - Bottom 3 7/02/2006
- Hum Tum - Bottom 2 14/02/2006
- Piya Re
- Lagan Lagi - Bottom 3 01/03/2006
- Koi Jane Koi Na Jane
- Arre Ja Re Natkhat
- Ramta Jogi
- Bunty aur Babli - Bottom 2 04/04/2006
- Mamu - Bottom 2 04/04/2006
- Chote Chote Shehro Se - 27/03/2006
- Tumse Milke - Bottom 2 04/04/2006
- Shava Shava - Bottom 2 04/04/2006
- Ek Suraj Nikla Tha - Bottom 2 04/04/2006
- Jahan Teri Yeh Nazar Hai - Runner-up 22/04/2006
- Mere Jaisa Koi Kahaan - Runner-up 22/04/2006
- Janak Janak - Runner-up 22/04/2006
- Ab Mujhe Raat Din - Runner-up 22/04/2006
- Afreen Afreen - 'Karunya special'
- Abh meje raath din - 'Karunya special'
- Ab Tumhaare Hawale Watan - 'Karunya special'
- Prem Jaal - Runner-up 22/04/2006
- Rind posh maal - "Final 22/04/2006"
- Badan pe sitaare - "Final 22/04/2006"
- Sayyoni - "Final 22/04/2006"
- One love - "Final 22/04/2006"
- Right now right here - "Final 22/04/2006"
- Anuj Sharma was born on March 6, 1975 in Himachal Pradesh and currently lives in Delhi. He has an MA in vocal music from Amritsar University. His family consists of his parents, brother and sister. He was eliminated in the piano rounds but after Jolly's elimination due to chicken pox he was brought back in the fourth gala round. "Tumhari aawaz Himachali seb ki tarah meethi hai," said Anu Malik when he heard Anuj Sharma sing in the audition round. That's when this contestant from Himachal Pradesh was reassured that his Indian Idol dream could turn reality.
- Tujhe Dil Mein Basa Toh Lu - Eliminated 27/12/2005
- Bachna Ae Haseeno
- Dil Kya Kare
- Ek Munda Punjabi
- Solah Baras Ki
- Sajan Ji Ghar Aaye
- Rang Barse - Bottom 2 14/03/2006
- Chaiya Chaiya - Bottom 2 14/03/2006
- Tu Hawa Hai - Eliminated 04/04/2006
- Chala Jaata Hoon - Eliminated 04/04/2006
- Hum Logon Ko - 27/03/2006
- Kab Tak Jawani - 27/03/2006
- Ye Dil Diwana - 27/03/2006
- Gori Naal Ishq - Eliminated 04/04/2006
- Pretty Woman - Eliminated 04/04/2006
- Amey Date was born on March 31, 1979 in Mumbai and currently lives there. His parents are divorced, Amey lives with his mother. He has an older sister as well. He is an undergraduate from Ruperal College, Mumbai. Amey Date has a musical lineage of his own as his grandfather was part of R.D. Burman's orchestra, his sister a trained classical singer. He himself was trained under the tutelage of Suresh Wadkar. He teaches students in his academy and sings on stage with his guru.
- Tu Hi Re
- Juda Hoke Bhi
- Tum Jo Mil Gaye Ho - Bottom 2 31/01/2006
- Laaga Chunri Mein Daag
- Dil Ne Tumko
- Rang De Basanti - Bottom 2 21/02/2006
- Tarap Tarap Ke
- Mahi Ve
- Chalo Re - Eliminated 14/03/2006
- Satrangi Re - Eliminated 14/03/2006
- Antara Mitra was born on July 10, 1987 in West Bengal and currently lives in Mumbai. She is in her first year of English Honours. Her family consists of her parents. Antara epitomises all that Indian Idol stands for. Belonging to a small village on the Indo-Bangladesh border, Antara represents talent that has been unearthed from the interiors of India and that has bloomed in the glitz and glamour of Mumbai.
- Rangeela Re - Highest votes
- Ruki Ruki
- Tu Rutha To
- Tere Bina
- Zara Zara
- Morni Baga Ma
- Bairi Piya - Bottom 2 28/02/2006
- Mere Haathon - Eliminated 07/03/2006
- Meenal Jain was born on June 14, 1985 in Indore and currently lives in Mumbai. She is a graduate from Mithibai College, Mumbai. Her family consists of her parents and elder sister. Meenal Jain came to Mumbai from the small town of Indore to build a career as a professional singer. From then on, her passion for music has kept her in high spirits and she went on to learn music from various people, including a short stint with Suresh Wadkar.
- Aao Na
- Ishq Samundar - Bottom 2 24/01/2006
- Lambi Judaai - Bottom 3 31/01/2006
- Nigahein Milane - Bottom 2 07/02/2006
- Kuch Na Kaho
- Mera Piya Ghar Aaya - Bottom 3 21/02/2006
- Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam - Eliminated 28/02/2006
- Ravi Tripathi was born on February 4, 1978 in Uttar Pradesh and currently lives in Mumbai. He has a graduate in social work from Lucknow University. His family consists of his parents, two sisters, brother and dog. A disciple of the great Suresh Wadkar, Ravi believes in sharing knowledge and is thus teaching young children Indian classical music. He is involved with children for social causes too, teaching them about our country's rich heritage and showing them the right path to make a better nation.
- Tumse Milke
- Jeeya Dhadak Dhadak - Bottom 2 17/01/2006
- Har Kisiko Nahin Milta
- Nain Lar Gayi
- Pretty Woman
- Teri Did Ko - Eliminated 21/02/2006
- Panna Gill was born on June 26, 1981 in Jharkhand and currently lives in Mumbai. He has completed schooling. His family consists of his parents, sister and brother. "I can't choose any one type of music. I get influenced by western sounds as much as traditional Indian music. Whenever I sing, I give the song my 100 per cent and fall in love with it,' said Panna, when asked about his favourite type of music. Panna was never in the bottom three until his elimination.
- Dil Ne Yeh Kaha
- Jhalak Dikhlaja
- Jaanu Meri Jaan
- Aaja Aaja
- Agar Tum Na Hote - Eliminated 14/02/2006
- Monali Thakur was born on November 3, 1985 in Kolkata and currently lives in Mumbai. She is pursuing her BA in English Honours from St. Xavier's College, Kolkata. Her family consists of her parents and sister. Bengali beauty Monali has music flowing in her bloodstream. Her father Shakti Thakur is a professional singer and actor in Bengali film industry, her sister Mehuli Thakur-Goswami is a playback singer in Bengal and Monali herself has received classical training from Pandit Jagdish Prasad in Kolkata. Was never in Bottom 3 until her elimination.
- Oh Mere Sona Re - Highest Votes
- Sandeshe Aate Hai
- Yaar Bina Chain Kaha Re
- Piya Tohse Naina Lage Re - Eliminated 07/02/2006
- Neha Kakkar was born on June 6, 1988 in Uttarakhand and currently lives in Delhi. She is studying in Class XI in New Holy Public School, Delhi. Her family consists of her parents, two brothers and sister.
- Seekh Le
- Mehboob Mere - Bottom 3 24/01/2006
- Zubi Zubi - Eliminated 31/01/2006
- Yashashree Bhave was born on August 5, 1981 in Maharashtra and currently lives in Nagpur. She has an MA in Sanskrit from Nagpur University. Her family has her husband and in-laws, parents and elder sister. Someone who does not believe in taking shortcuts in life, Yashashree spends a lot of time listening to classical and semi-classical music and is eagerly awaiting the day when she can listen to her own recordings.
- Ayiye Aajayiye
- Jiya Jale - Eliminated 24/01/2006
- Sagar Sawarkar was born on October 30, 1985 in Nagpur and currently lives in Mumbai. He is pursuing mass media from Bhavan's College, Mumbai. His family consists of his parents, brother and sister. For Sagar, music is the beginning and end of life. This 20-year old student from Mumbai has been singing since the age of eight and has been undergoing formal musical training for the last ten years.
- Kisi Roz Tumse
- Chote Chote Shehro Se - Eliminated 17/01/2006
- Top 12: Boys' Night.
- Top 11: Girls' Night.
- Top 10: Woh Pehli Baar album songs
- Top 9: Retro songs.
- Top 8: Valentine's.
- Top 7: Folk
- Top 6: Songs from Bollywood blockbusters
- Top 5: Wedding
- Top 4: Holi
- Top 3:
- Cafe Round (Live concerts by Top 3 in various cities)
- Judges' Choice
- Kishore Kumar
- Top 2: Finale
- Gala of Sandeep & Karunya:
- Judges' Choice
- Original song - Mere Saath Saara Jahaan
- Contestants' Choice
- Homecoming - separate concerts
- Karunya's own gala
- Sandeep's own gala
- Priyanka Chopra
- Karan Johar
- Kajol for the finals.
- Preity Zinta
- Will Smith
- Abhijeet Sawant
- Sohail Khan
- Dino Morea
- Kareena Kapoor
- Amisha Patel
- Diya Mirza
- Mallika Sherawat
- Isha Koppikar
- Alisha Chinai
In the grand finale, Abhijeet Sawant performed Rang De Basanti. The entire top 12 came back and sang Woh Pehli Baar. The girls sang Saaki Saaki and then their individual songs. Antara Mitra - Jawaani Jaaneman. Meenal Jain - Baras Ja E Badal. Neha Kakkar - Babuji Zara Dheere Chalo. Monali Thakur - Deedar De. Yashashree Bhave - Piya Tu. Sandeep Acharya sang Ruk Ja O Dil Deewana, then sang Tumse Milke with Monali Thakur, Neha Kakkar and Yashashree Bhave. N. C. Karunya sang One Love, and then Right Here Right Now with Antara Mitra and Meenal Jain. Sandeep sang Sitaron Ki Mehfil and Gulabi Aankhen, and Karunya sang Rind Posh Maar, Badan Pe Sitare and Sayonee. Sandeep and Karunya sang Kajra Re with Alisha Chinoy. Then Sandeep sang Chori with Isha Koppikar and Karunya sang Khallas with her. Following the performances, the results were announced, Sandeep won the competition.
Age record holders
This is to show the oldest (above 26) and the youngest (below 20) contestants, while the season was on.
|Oldest, over the age of 26|
|1975||March 6||Anuj Sharma|
|1976||February 4||Ravi Tripathi|
|1979||March 31||Amey Date|
|Youngest (Under the age of 20)|
|1988||June 6||Neha Kakkar|
|1987||July 10||Antara Mitra|
|1986||March 1||N. C. Karunya|
Danger Zone Statistics
|January 17||Sagar Sawarkar||Ravi Tripathi||Anuj Sharma|
|January 24||Yashashree Bhave||Meenal Jain||Neha Kakkar|
|January 31||Neha Kakkar (2)||Amey Date||Meenal Jain (2)|
|February 7||Monali Thakur||Meenal Jain (3)||N. C. Karunya|
|February 14||Panna Gill||N. C. Karunya (2)||Sandeep Acharya|
|February 21||Ravi Tripathi||Amey Date (2)||Meenal Jain (4)|
|February 28||Meenal Jain (5)||Antara Mitra||Anuj Sharma|
|March 7||Antara Mitra (2)||Sandeep Acharya (2)|
|March 14||Amey Date (3)||Anuj Sharma (2)|
|April 4||Anuj Sharma (3)|
|April 22||N. C. Karunya (3)||Sandeep Acharya (3)|
|Did Not Perform||Top 28||Top 12||Winner|
|Safe||Safe First||Safe Second||Eliminated|
|1||Sandeep Acharya||Bottom 3||Bottom 2||Winner|
|2||N. C. Karunya||Bottom 3||Bottom 3||Bottom 2||Bottom 3||Bottom 2||Elim|
|3||Anuj Sharma *||Elim||Adv||Bottom 2||Elim|
|4||Amey Date||Bottom 2||Bottom 2||Elim|
|5||Antara Mitra||Bottom 2||Elim|
|6||Meenal Jain||Bottom 2||Bottom 3||Bottom 2||Bottom 3||Elim|
|7||Ravi Tripathi||Bottom 2||Elim|
|10||Neha Kakkar||Bottom 3||Elim|
|13||Jolly Das *||Dropped-Out|
* Anuj was eliminated on the 27th of December, but when Jolly Das dropped out from the finals due to chickenpox, Anuj was brought back by the judges and participated from 7 February till his elimination. Jolly Das returned on season 3.
Season 1 (2005)
Season 2 (2006)
Season 3 (2007)