Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Kerala
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2010)|
|Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Kerala|
|भारतीय सूचना प्रौद्योगिकी एवं प्रबंधन संस्थान, केरल|
|Motto||विद्धि परिप्रेशनेन सेवया|
|Director||Prof. Rajasree M.S.|
|Location||Technopark, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Kerala (IIITM-K) is an institution that offers courses in science, technology and management. It is situated in Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), Kerala, India.
About the Institute
IIITM-K is a premier institution of excellence in Science, Technology and Management related to Information that develops professionals and leaders of high calibre imbued with values of entrepreneurship, and is the premier institution of excellence in science in technology management.
The State of Kerala has excelled in the sphere of literacy and has been a guiding example and inspiration for the other states in India. The state enjoys excellent primary and secondary schooling systems that guarantee affordable education to its people. The state also enjoys many good science and arts colleges and is well known for its medical and nursing institutions. However, in the sphere of engineering and technology education, the state has somewhat lagged behind its neighbours, necessitating many local students to seek admissions in institutions outside the state.
With this background in view and the need for the state to take positive steps towards establishing leadership in the fast-growing information technology field, a high-power committee consisting of leading figures of industry, academia and government was constituted by the Government of Kerala, to initiate steps towards establishing a premier institute of information technology and management. Based on the deliberations of the committee, the Government of Kerala decided to set up the Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management-Kerala (IIITM-K).
The Honorable Governor of Kerala, Sri Sukhdev Singh Kang, formally inaugurated the institute on November 23, 2000. The first batch of students was admitted in the month of March 2001 for the coveted Postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology (PGDIT) of 18 months duration. The convocation of the first batch of students was held on April 7, 2003. Shri F C Kohli, a father figure for the IT industry in India, awarded the degrees to this pioneer batch of students. The leading Indian software giant, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is the creation of Sri Kohli who built the company virtually from scratch way back in 1960s when software was even not heard of.
The first batch PGDIT students were enthusiastically received by the software industries and almost all of them got excellent placements in reputed IT companies. The second and third batches of students also got excellent campus placements. The fourth batch of students were admitted in July 2004.
The Institute is currently offering the following academic programmes:
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Computer Science & Information Security
- Master of Science in Computational Sciences
- Master of Science in Geo Informatics
- M.Phil programme in Computer Science
- M.Phil programme in Eco-Informatics
- Post Graduate Diploma in E-Governance
for more logon to  The Institute has gained considerable expertise in offering advanced courses in both mainstream academic programmes, research, Projects and industry-specific training programmes.
For the first few years after its inception, the institute offered PGDIT and MS IT courses
Msc programmes are two-year postgraduate programmes with four semesters of structured and streamlined syllabus, summer projects and an internship. The courses include foundation courses in IT, soft skills, personality and leadership development programmes, employment oriented programmes, etc.
Students are trained to align closely with the competencies and skill-set as demanded by the industry. In addition to the extremely qualified core faculty, IIITM-K hires the services of eminent personalities from elite institutions in India and abroad and also from industry. The students enjoy an excellent learning environment, with streamed lectures and the digital library accessible round the clock.
Those with a B Tech or B.Sc degree in any discipline or a Master's degree in Computer Applications (MCA) with at least 60% aggregate marks in the final exam, +2 and 10th level are eligible to apply for admission to the MSc courses. Those with a valid GATE/CAT score will get exemption from the Entrance Test; however, they will have to complete all other requirements for securing admission. Candidates who are doing the final year degree courses may also apply. However, they must clear all backlogs by the time of the interview, in case they pass the entrance test and are called for interview. Admissions are open to all Indian nationals. IIITM-K shall adopt the pattern of communal reservations being followed for other similar professional courses in Kerala for those seats reserved for candidates from Kerala.
Two years full-time post graduate programme:
- 3 semesters of classes with 16 courses
- 1 semester internship in reputed IT industry, Research Organization or in the institute's R&D projects
- summer project for two months
Judicious blend of courses in IT and Management, including orientations to Entrepreneurship and Information Systems and Software Enterprise Management.
- Foundation courses in IT
- Management courses in IT
- Leadership and Self-Development
- Software Engineering and Design
- Elective courses in important areas like Embedded System, Geographic Information Systems, E-Commerce, Web Technology and more to be added.
Wide opportunities for latest skills-set updates as per the demands of industry.
- Concurrent Instructional and Learning support for courses
- Web Based Course Management System
- 1000+ hours of recorded streamed video-on-demand lectures
- Best-run Digital Library
- Group collaboration and message board interactions
- Seminars, Group discussions
- Case studies in live projects
IIITM-K has been a pioneer in conceptualizing, developing, implementing, commissioning and servicing some of India’s well recognized IT initiatives in Education, Agriculture and E-Governance. Some of these are;
• Implementing Agency for the Kerala Education Grid • Major technology partner to develop and implement various Agricultural information systems under National Agricultural innovation Project, along with IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Bombay, NAARM, GBPUAT, UAS-Dharwad, and ICRISAT. • Implementation of Karshaka Information Systems, Services and Networking (KISSAN Kerala) project in the entire state.
• Virtual University for Agricultural Trade (VUAT) project of Government of Kerala, as per the recommendations of the Commission on WTO Concerns in Agriculture headed by Prof. M.S. Swaminathan.
• Information Security by Department of Information Technology, Government of India. • INDIAN LANGUAGE CONSORTIA INITIATIVE (ILCI) by Department of Information Technology, Government of India. • High performance Computing areas Grid, Cluster and Cloud labs • Research mainly in Theoretical Computer Science, Computational Sciences, Information Systems, Software Engineering etc.in India
Board of directors
The Institute is driven with vision and direction by a Board of Directors constituted by the government of Kerala comprising a team of accomplished and eminent persons from academia, IT Industry, Research and Development and Administration. This ensures that the institute is established as a premier academic and research institution with speed and excellence. The team of Directors consists of:
- Shri.Madhavan Nambiar, IAS (Retd.)-Chairman
- Shri.S.Mahalingam, Former Chief Financial Officer, Tata Consultancy Services
- Padmashri Prof.N.Balakrishnan, Associate Director, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Dr. Ramachandarn Thekkedath,Vice Chancellor, CUSAT
- Dr. Ajay Kumar, IAS, Additional Secretary- Information Technology,DEITY, GoI
- Dr.K.M.Abraham, IAS, Principal Secretary, Higher Education, GoK
- Shri P.H.Kurian, IAS,Principal Secretary, Information Technology, GoK
- Shri Rajesh Kumar Sinha, IAS, Secretary, Finance (Expenditure), GoK
- Dr.J.Letha, Director, Directorate of Technical Education, GoK
- Dr.Rajasree M.S, Director, IIITM-K
- Mr. S. Gopalakrishnan, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Infosys, Bangalore
- Padmabhushan K.P.P. Nambiar (Former Chairman & MD, Keltron)
- Padmabhushan Shri. F.C.Kohli
- Padmabhushan Dr. V. Rajaraman, Honorary Professor, IISc, Bangalore
- Padmashri Dr. Vijay P. Bhatkar
- Shri.T.K.A Nair, IAS (Retd.), Former Principal Secretary, Prime Minister's Office
- Mr. V. Ramachandran,IAS (Retd.), Former Vice Chairman-Kerala State Planning Board
- Prof. Kamala Krithivasan, Dept of Computer Science IIT Madras
- Prof Debashis Chatterjee, Director, IIM Kozhikode
- Dr. Krishna Kumar, Director, IIM Kozhikode
- Valayalil Korath Mathews V.K Mathews, Managing Director, IBS Software services
- Dr. Kuncheria P. Isaac, Director (i/c), Technical Education, GoK
- Smt. Ishita Roy, IAS, Secretary, Finance(Expenditure), GoK.
- Prof. M.S. Ananth, Director IIT Madras
- Shri. Kuruvilla John, IAS, Principal Secretary - Higher Education, GoK
- Shri Vinod Rai, IAS (Ex Officio)
- Smt. Sudha Pillai, IAS (Ex Officio)
- Smt. Aruna Sundararajan, IAS, Principal Secretary, IT, GoK
- Dr. K.R. Srivathsan (Founder Director), Former Professor, IIT Kanpur
- Dr. R. Bhaskaran, Former Professor & Dean (Placement), IIT Kharagpur
- Dr. A.H. Kalro, Director, IIM Kozhikode
- Shri. K. Jose Cyriac, IAS (Ex Officio)
- Shri. K. Mohandas, IAS (Ex Officio)
- Shri. P.H. Kurien, IAS (Ex Officio)
- Shri. T.K. Manoj Kumar, IAS (Ex Officio)
- Shri. P.J. Thomas, IAS, Principal Secretary, Higher Education
- Shri. P.G. Tenzing, IAS, (Ex Officio)
- Dr. Aloksheel, IAS, (Ex Officio)
- Prof. S.K. Mohan, Director, Directorate of Technical Education, GoK
- Dr. Elizabeth Sherly, Director (i/c), IIITM-K