Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
|Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad|
|भारतीय प्रबंधन संस्थान अहमदाबाद|
|Motto in English||Progress Through Knowledge|
|Type||Public business school|
|Chairman||A. M. Naik (2012–present)|
|Dean||Ajay Pandey (Programmes),G Raghuram (Faculty), Arvind Sahay (Alumni & External Relations)|
|Students||364: PGP (2013–15)
45: PGP – ABM (2013–15)
85: PGPX (2013–14)
|Location||Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
|Campus||Urban, 106 acres (0.43 km2)|
The Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIM Ahmedabad or IIM-A) is a public business school located in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. It was the second Indian Institute of Management (IIM) to be established, after IIM Calcutta. It is consistently ranked as one of the best business schools in India and in the Asia-Pacific region.
Established in 1961, the institute offers Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Management and Agri-Business Management, a Doctoral (Fellowship) Programme and a number of Executive Training Programmes.
The Indian Institutes of Management were established in response to the growing need that was felt for nurturing professional managers who could efficiently manage India’s growing industries. They were established with the objectives of providing high quality management education and assisting the industry through research and consulting services.
IIM Ahmedabad was the second IIM to be set up in the country. It was established on 16 December 1961 with the active support of the Government of India, the Government of Gujarat and the industry. Eminent physicist Dr. Vikram Sarabhai and businessman Kasturbhai Lalbhai, both natives of Ahmedabad, played a pivotal role in setting up the Institute. Later on he went on to serve as the Institute’s Honorary Director for the first 3 years of its existence. Prominent management educator Ravi J. Matthai and several other Ahmedabad-based industrialists also played a major role in its creation.
The building is a major icon of modernism architecture, designed by American architect Louis Kahn.
Like other IIMs, IIM Ahmedabad currently offers diplomas in management, not degrees. IIMs have not been set up as universities through an act of Parliament but as charitable societies. IIMs lack regular peer-based academic review of their departments/areas, an oversight proposed to be corrected by legislation governing all 13 IIMs after the Ministry of Human Resource Development rejected IIM Bangalore's plans to award degrees. It offers the following full-time academic programmes:
Post-Graduate Programme in Agribusiness Management
The Post-Graduate Programme in Agribusiness Management (PGP-ABM) is a two-year fully residential management programme. This programme has been designed specifically to cater to the requirement of management professionals in that sector.
In the 1960s the institute's first faculty dismissal took place for plagiarising verbatim an article from a German journal which that faculty member had access to. On 29 June 1992 a student complained to the Director IIM-A that a textbook authored by Institute professors had been simply lifted from three other books. On enquiry a Committee found copying without acknowledgment of the source from least 5 foreign books and some other Indian books. In the 3rd such instance of alleged plagiarism, around 21 March 2012, 5 IIM-A professors were accused of plagiarism a fortnight after the Gujarat High Court had directed a fresh inquiry into earlier plagiarism allegations. Two of the professors holding key posts had offered to step down until the enquiry was completed. In July 2012 IIM sources claimed the inquiry report exonerating some of these professors was deliberately withheld (and not formally placed on the Institute records) since three of the four professors who were accused of plagiarism were potential candidates for the director’s post and could be considered only after the allegations are found to be baseless. In 2005-06 five students were found to have used the work of others without giving credit. They were caught and made to repeat a year.
|Business – International|
|Financial Times (MBA)||26|
|Business – India|
IIM-A is the only Indian institute listed by The Economist in its 2012 Full-time B-school ranking, at #56, rising 22 ranks from 2011 when the institute was ranked at #78. The Financial Times Global B-School Rankings ranked IIM Ahmedabad's PGPX programme at No. 11, whereas its Global MBA rankings also ranked the institute at #11. In the QS Global 200 Business Schools Report it was ranked No. 2 in the Asia-Pacific region for 2012 In India, it was ranked first by the Hindustan Times India's top 50 business schools of 2011, by the 2012 edition of CNBC-TV18's Top B-Schools in India and by the Business Today 50 best business schools of 2012.
Student events include Confluence, an annual business summit organised in the month of November, and ConneXion, an annual event organized by the one year Post-Graduate Program in Management for Executives (PGPX) students. Other events include Chaos, an annual culfest, Sangharsh, an inter-IIM sports tournament and Insight, a market research event. Its Finance & Investments Club, BETA organises a financial services focused event titled 'Exchequer' which in its 2011 edition saw Nilesh Shah, President of Corporate Banking at Axis Bank speaking with the students. It is also responsible for IIM Ahmedabad's annual flagship publication, 'The Efficient Frontier'.
Confluence is the annual international Business school summit hosted by IIM Ahmedabad. This flagship event was started in 1999.
The flagship events at Confluence include Masterplan, the business plan competition; Bizquizzitive, a business quiz event; Mouse Trap, a business simulation event and Corporate Combat, a business strategy simulation event The speaker series at Confluence has seen eminent speakers in the past including Ratan Tata, Vijay Mallya, Mukesh Ambani, Kiran Bedi, Sunil Bharti Mittal, Chandrababu Naidu, Rakesh Sharma etc.
Chaos is the annual cultural festival of IIMA and one of the biggest in the region. Its yearly editions have been centred around themes like diversity, colour or going green. The cultural festivities draws footfalls of around 50,000 visitors in the four days of revelry and participation from institutes across the country. ProNites are especially a huge success with a large number of top class artists coming and performing on one stage.
In the past, Chaos has witnessed musical performances by Jagjit Singh, Amaan and Ayaan Ali, Shankar Ehsaan Loy to name a few. The 2012 edition hosted a variety of events including an online treasure hunt, fashion shows, rock competitions, and contests of dance, drama, fine arts and quizzing.
Insight is the annual Market research festival of IIM A and is one of the oldest events organised by the institute. The festival began in 1987 as a project by Kapil Kappor and his PGP colleagues under the supervision of Prof. Labdhi Bhandari. Insight is known for its application of innovative marketing research tools.
- "L&T's AM Naik to be the new IIM-Ahmedabad chairman". Economic Times. 28 February 2012.
- "IIMA dean Prof Jajoo to step down". DNA. 26 September 2012. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "Announcement of appointment – Director, IIMA". www.iima.ac.in. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "IIMA welcomes PGP’s golden jubilee batch, PGP-ABM and FPM batches". 24 June 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "IIMA’s Eighth batch of PGPX inaugurated". 8 April 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "Heritage Campus-Louis Kahn". Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- "New Campus". Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- Swati Garg (12 May 2011). "Q&A: Shekhar Chaudhury, Director, IIM Calcutta". Business Standard (Kolkata: Business Standard Limited).
- "IIM Ahmedabad ranked 2nd best school". Indian Express. 9 December 2011. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "ISB slips in FT rankings, IIM-A retains ground at 11th". Business Standard. 31 January 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "IIM-A ranked 2nd best biz school in Asia-Pacific". Business Line. 9 December 2011. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Programmes-IIMA". iima.ac.in. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- RC Bhargava, Ajit Balakrishnan, Anusua Basu, Ram S Tarneja, Ashok Thakur (25 September 2008). "Report of IIM Review Committee". GOVERNMENT OF INDIA: MINISTRY OF HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- The IIM-A Story by Praful Anubhai, page
- "Key facts-IIMA". iima.ac.in. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Ravi Matthai: a rank outsider who became a pillar at IIM-A". Indian Express. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "How India's best-known B-school got built". Business Line. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- IIMs give diplomas not degrees
- The IIMA Story - Prafull Anubhai - Google Books. Books.google.co.in. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Indian Institute Of Management vs Ukakant Shrivastva on 16 March, 2001". Indiankanoon.org. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Niyati Rana (12 March 2012). "Ahmedabad institutes find it tough to fight plagiarism | Latest News & Updates at". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "5 more IIMA profs accused of plagiarism, News - Latest - Ahmedabad Mirror,Ahmedabad Mirror". Ahmedabadmirror.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Accused IIMA profs deny allegations, News - City - Ahmedabad Mirror,Ahmedabad Mirror". Ahmedabadmirror.com. 22 March 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Dayananda Yumlembam, TNN 29 March 2012, 02.41AM IST (29 March 2012). "IIM-A profs offer to give up key posts - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Niyati Rana (21 July 2012). "Is plagiarism charge aimed at IIMA’s director hopefuls? | Latest News & Updates at". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Niyati Rana (30 January 2012). "Plagiarism plagues Ahmedabad’s institutes | Latest News & Updates at". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Global MBA Rankings 2013". Financial Times. 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "2012 Full time MBA ranking". The Economist. 2012. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "QS World University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2011. Retrieved February 12, 2012.
- "The 50 best business schools". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "India's top 50 business schools" (jpg). Hindustan Times. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- "Top B-Schools in India". CNBC-TV18. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "The Economist Which MBA? 2011 Full time MBA ranking". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Leadership lessons at IIMA". Times of India. 26 November 2011. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "IIMA ConneXion Website".
- Iron Maiden show to intensify IIM-A Chaos, Dayananda Yumlembam, The Times of India, 15 December 2011, accessed on 6 January 2012
- IIMA’s Insight to rock for first time this year, Dayananda Meitei, Daily News and Analysis, 7 October 2009, accessed on 6 January 2012
- Exchequer, BETA – The Finance & Investments Club of IIM-A, accessed on 11 February 2012
- The Efficient Frontier, BETA – The Finance & Investments Club of IIM-A, accessed on 11 February 2012
- Students get investment tips at IIM-A, Times of India, accessed on 11 February 2012
- "Course, Fees & Profile, IIM Ahemdabad". Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "Leadership lessons at IIM-A's 13th Confluence". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "IIM-Lucknow wins 1st prize at 'Confluence 2011'". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Babu demanded bribe for Delhi posting: Kiran Bedi". Times of India. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Confluence: Stars touch down at IIM-A campus". Economic Times. 26 November 2005. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "IIM-Ahmedabad all set to rock with ‘Colourful Chaos 2012’". Ahmedabad Mirror. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Chaos ends at IIM-A". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Iron Maiden show to intensify IIM-A Chaos". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "IIMA’s Insight to rock for first time this year". Daily News & Analysis. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- Bhandari, Apoorva (26 November 2012). "Reconstructing LRB: Kapil Kapoor remembers". Labdhibhandari.org. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "About Founders". IIMA Insight. 1 April 2008. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "IIM-A to gauge consumers reaction on BRTS". Times of India. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad.|