Indian Institute of Management Indore
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
|Indian Institute of Management Indore|
|Motto||Sanskrit: सिद्धिमूलं प्रबंधनम्|
|Motto in English||Achievement is Rooted in Management|
|Type||Public Business School|
|Director||Dr. Rishikesha T Krishnan|
|Academic staff||66 full time, 45 visiting|
|Students||1050 Two Year Full Time MBA (PGP), 60 One Year Full Time MBA (EPGP), 50 PhD, 480 IPM|
|Location||Indore, Dubai (UAE), Mumbai|
|Campus||Suburban, 193 acres (0.8 km2)|
|Affiliations||Indian Institutes of Management|
The Indian Institute of Management Indore (often abbreviated as IIM-I) is an autonomous public business school located in Indore, Madhya Pradesh in India. Instituted in 1996, IIM Indore is the sixth addition to the prestigious Indian Institute of Management (IIM) family of management schools.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Placements
- 4 Faculty
- 5 Location and campus
- 6 Student activities
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
IIM Indore, which came into existence in 1996, was established as the sixth Indian Institute of Management after IIM Calcutta (1961), IIM Ahmedabad (1963), IIM Bangalore (1972), IIM Lucknow (1984) and IIM Kozhikode (1996). The institute was the youngest among the IIM's until 2008, when IIM Shillong was instituted.
IIM Indore started offering its flagship two-year full-time (residential) Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) at Ras al-Khaimah (UAE) in 2011. It is the first IIM to have started operations outside India. This is a crucial step with IIM Indore's Philosophy to transform itself into a truly Global B-School. In 2013, IIM Indore shifted it's Ras-Al-Khaima operations to Dubai. However, in 2014, it shut down its operations at its UAE campus. 
The institute also offers its flagship two-year full-time (non-residential) Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) in Mumbai, from 2012. Till date, no IIM had a presence in the financial capital of India (Mumbai). 
IIM Indore offers the following academic programmes -
- Integrated Programme in Management (IPM) - IIM Indore, a five-year integrated course in management
- Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP), a two-year full-time residential programme equivalent to an MBA.
- Executive Post-Graduate Programme in Management (EPGP), a one-year full-time residential programme equivalent to an MBA.
- Post Graduate Programme in Management for Executives (PGPMX), a two-year alternate-weekend programme.
- Fellow Programme in Management (FPM).
Options to specialise in various fields such as Finance, Operations, Marketing, Systems etc. are available and students are encouraged to choose a specialisation of their choice.
A five-year Integrated Program in Management, for students passing out from Class XII, was started in 2011. The institute also offers various certificate programmes and Management Development Programmes (MDPs).
Like all IIMs, IIM Indore awards diplomas, and not degrees.
Admissions to the flagship Post Graduate Programmes in Management (PGP) at Indore, Dubai(UAE) and Mumbai, is through the Common Admission Test (CAT) conducted by the IIMs. Non Resident Indian (NRI) candidates are also eligible to apply and should have scored a minimum GMAT score of 650 to be shortlisted for further evaluations. Admissions to the Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management (EPGP), a programme for executives with a minimum of 5 years work experience, is through the globally accepted GMAT. The candidates are shortlisted on the basis of their GMAT score, which on average has been 700 for the past batches, quality of work experience, extra-curricular record and future managerial potential. The five-year integrated programme in management(IPM) Integrated Programme in Management (IPM) - IIM Indore, the first of its kind in India launched by IIM Indore, is a unique and creative programme to meet the aspirations of young students to become management professionals, change agents and societal leaders.
Foreign Student Exchange Program
There are over 90 student exchange seats, which means that 20% of the PGP batch can spend an academic term in a foreign university. It is the 3rd highest number of seats across all IIMs. There are over 20 schools with whom IIM Indore has an exchange programme MOU - Germany, France, Belgium, Austria, US, UK, Australia, Malaysia, Philippines. It is one of the few IIMs to have a programme in Latin America (Brazil). On an average 50 students from foreign universities spend a term at IIM Indore.
The Student Exchange Programme ensures that the students are exposed to the latest trends in management across the best business schools in the world. Apart from providing a chance for students to interact and really be a part of some of the world's top universities for a term, the programme also enables the rest of the batch here to benefit from the foreign students who travel here in their place. The Student Exchange Programme Committee (see below under Student Activities) handles the logistics of the programme. The institute had its first student exchange of six students with Ecole de Management de Lyon (EM Lyon), a premier business school based in Lyon, France, in 2005.
The One Year Full Time MBA (EPGP) has a tie-up with the McCombs School of Business at The University of Texas at Austin, US, where the entire batch shifts for a five-week module to get a global perspective on management.
|Business – India|
IIMI was ranked #5 by the Business Today 50 best business schools of 2011, #6 by the Hindustan Times India's top 50 business schools of 2011 and #8 by the 2012 edition of CNBC-TV18's Top B-Schools in India.
IIM Indore is considered as one of the top destinations for searching high quality managerial talent. Some of the top regular recruiters at IIM Indore are Goldman Sachs, Boston Consulting Group, Deutsche Bank, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Tata Administrative Services, Standard Chartered Bank, HSBC, Edelweiss, JPMC, Hindustan Unilever, Procter & Gamble, Reckitt Benckiser, Marico, Reliance Industries, Airtel, eBay, Amazon. It is one of the 8 campuses in India visited by the Boston Cosulting Group (IIM ABCL, ISB, XLRI and MDI being others) since 2011. Mckinsey & Co. recruited IIM Indore graduates within 10 years after the institution was set up (However, it is not a regular recruiter though it conducts a batch day process each year). Despite the fact that only 14 PGP batches have graduated, IIM Indore has a stellar reputation among recruiters. After the batch size was increased from 240 to 450 for the Class of 2012, there were concerns about placements but in 2012 the batch graduated with over 430 students getting top offers. IIM Indore hopes to move to a career services system followed at US Business Schools.
Location and campus
The institute operated out of a temporary campus in Rajendranagar in Indore till 2003, before moving to its current campus. On October 3, 1998, the foundation stone of the Indore campus was laid by Mukesh Ambani. The 193 acres (0.78 km2) campus is located at Prabandh Shikhar, on Rau-Pithampur Road, close to the Pithampur Special Economic Zone, off Agra-Bombay Highway. Expansion plans include building more hostels to accommodate the growing number of post graduate and executive students, a state of the art sports complex and residential quarters for doctoral students.
The present campus started with 4 hostels each housing 60 students. As the intake has gradually increased, today, there are 14 hostels. Rooms in all the hostels have direct computer connectivity to the main LAN that provides an 8 Mbit/s internet connectivity. For the One Year Full Time MBA (EPGP) students, a separate air conditioned hostel has been set up that offers super-luxury accommodation and can house almost 200 students – future proof for the substantial increase in intake planned. In addition to these, IIM Indore also has a Management Development Centre (MDC) which houses the MDP participants. A hostel dedicated to participants of Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) has been constructed recently. Massive constructions are under way to create living space for the students of the new started exclusive IIM Indore initiative - The IPM program. Refurbishment and renovation work also encompasses the main gate and several other buildings in the IIM campus such as staff quarters for the visiting faculty. Dedicated mess facilities and round the clock canteen facilities are available in between the hostels. Photocopy, laundry and tailor facilities are also available. The common rooms at the Hostels have a 32" LCD TV with satellite cable, in addition to the facilities for the indoor games like Table Tennis and Carom. It is also the scene of action for get-togethers, parties and informal discussions. Currently, as part of the expansion plan, new hostel wings are being constructed along with a full-fledged cricket stadium, football stadium and a tennis court.
There are several eating joints in & around the Hostels. There is the student run JAM which offers juices, shakes, maggi, corn-chat, sandwiches, etc. In 2012, a Dosa point started, which gained popularity as an alternative to the hostel mess and had almost everything on the menu from idli, dosa, wada to chapatis, pav Bhaji, Chhole Bhature and Paranthas. However, due to hygiene issues, it closed down in 2014. Samosa Corner offers Samosa, Kachodi, Poha, Jalebi, Rabri, Dhokla etc. Then there is again a student run Pi-shop which provides burgers, patty, veg rolls etc. apart from all the stuff a general store has. A fruit shop and another general store have also opened in the campus, in 2013. In 2014, two new vendors were established in the campus, in one of the Mess halls, to offer more choice to students.
The IIMI Library holds knowledge resources predominantly related to management and allied subjects. The entire Library collection including the CD-ROM databases and the online databases are made available through Institute’s network. Users can access the online databases, video library and also find out the real-time availability of library materials from their own computer terminals. The Library offers a range of information services set to the highest professional standards.
The Library resource includes over 15000 books in the area of Management and related subjects, 425 journals (350 Foreign and 75 Indian) specific to the academic and research needs of the academic community and over 1000 selective e-journals available in full-text.
The new sports complex which has a gymnasium, a swimming pool, a squash court and an auditorium was inaugurated on October 2011 by Shri L.N. Jhunjhunwala, Chairman, Board of Governors, IIM Indore and has become operational since then. During his inaugural speech, Shri Jhunjhunwala congratulated the IIM community for state-of-the-art sports complex which is home to a world-class swimming pool and other excellent facilities. He further said that this will be an excellent opportunity for the students of IIM Indore to sharpen their athletic skills and bring the glory to the country. Apart from this, the hostels have badminton, volleyball and Basketball courts.
The activities of the students are coordinated by the Students Activities Council (SAC), an elected body of student representatives. The SAC follows a Constitution document in its activities and initiatives. The SAC comprises 9 committees, 9 Activity clubs, 8 Interest clubs, an Editorial team of a quarterly publication and co-ordinators of various national level events.
The student committees are as follows:
- Academic Affairs Committee
- Alumni Committee
- Cultural Committee
- Industry Interaction Cell
- Infrastructure Committee
- Media & Public Relations Committee
- Placement Committee
- Sports Committee
- Student Exchange Programme Committee
The secretary of each committee along with the SAC Co-ordinator (SAC-C) and the SAC Financial Advisor (SAC-FA) form the 10-member SAC Executive Council which advises the institute administration.
There are various Activity Clubs at IIM Indore, the notable among them being:
- Anustha (IPM Activities Committee)
- Consulting Club
- Currenc-I (Economics and International Business Club)
- Entrepreneurship Cell
- Equit-I (Finance Club)
- Humain-I (HR Club)
- Infinit-I (Technology and Systems Club)
- Mirage(Creative Club)
- Kaizen (Operations Club)
- Merchand-I (Merchandising Club)
- Mercur-I sa(Marketing Club)
- Voyage Capital Investment Club
IIM Indore also hosts several clubs catering to varied interest groups:
- FIC-I (IPM Finance and Investment Club)
- AaRoHan (IPM Social and Corporate Sensitivity Cell)
- Aperture (Photography Club)
- Arena (Gaming Club)
- Debsoc (Debating Society)
- Drishti (IPM Photography Club)
- Harmon-I (Music Society)
- idAnIm (Film and Theatre Fraternity)
- Pragat-I (Social Sensitivity Cell)
- Quiz Club
- Vibes (Dance Club)
The students of IIM Indore publish a quarterly business magazine, Management Canvas.
Various contests, events and tournaments are held throughout the year, giving students a chance to compete among themselves. Major among them include:
- IRIS (Annual Management and Cultural Fest)
- Utsaha (Annual Rural Marketing Fest)
- Indore Marathon
- Indian B-School League [IBL] (Annual Socio-Management Festival)
- Foot Prints (Annual Alumni Reunion)
- Rendezvous (Annual Alumni-Fresher Meet)
āhvān (previously known as IRIS) is the annual management festival of IIM Indore, first held in 2000. Participation, both from students and corporate India, has been on the rise each year. With a gamut of events ranging from the leadership event 'Ashwamedha' to a host of other events targeted at every functional sphere of management, āhvān is successful in pulling in the best management students across India. Among the most popular events are Chanakya (Consulting), Kalpavriksha (Social Business plan), Fin League (Finance) and Gordian Knot (cross functional). The event ends with a live concert, Livewire, in which popular singers and bands like Euphoria, Mohit Chauhan, Indian Ocean and Parikrama have performed.
Mridang is the annual three-day cultural festival of IIM Indore. The 2012 edition took place on 10–12 February. and was focused on the importance of education, including lectures and workshops for children of the city. The cultural program included a santoor performance by Tarun Bhattacharya and an Odissi dance performance by Sanchita Bhattyacharya, followed by Lasya group dancing. The 2014 edition took place on 21–23 February. The Band Odyssey performed on 23 February.
Utsaha is the annual rural marketing fair of IIM Indore, established in 2009. The 2011 edition was held at Janapao Kuti village in Mhow tehsil and was focused on "contemporary issues being faced by companies targeting rural markets."
In line with IIM Indore’s focus on creating a positive impact on the social and cultural environment in which it functions, Indore Marathon, an initiative taken by the community of IIM Indore, made a successful debut in 2008 with more than 5000 citizens running for peace on 2 October i.e. Gandhi Jayanti. The Indore Marathon is the true test of endurance and character and sends out a statement of unity and support for a cause.
Themes for Indore Marathon:
- 2010: “Run for an Educated India"
- 2011: "Run for a Healthy India"
- 2012: "Run for Gender Equality."
- 2013: "Run against Rape and Discrimination"
- 2014: "Run for the Homeless"
Indian B School League
Rendezvous is an Annual Alumni- Fresher’s meet, held across various cities in India in an effort to enable the new batch to interact with the Alumnus, and the PGP-2 participants, who began their journey of success through IIM Indore.
- List of universities in India
- Universities and colleges in India
- Education in India
- Distance Education Council
- University Grants Commission (India)
- "Current Students". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "About Indian Institute of Management Indore". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore - PGP at Dubai (UAE)". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "IIM Indore goes to Dubai". The Telegraph (Calcutta). 12 November 2011.
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore – PGP at Mumbai". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "IIM Indore Launches PGP Course At Mumbai". www.careermitra.com.
- "IIM Indore launches PG programme in Mumbai". Hindustan Times (Indore).
- "IIM-Indore launches course from Mumbai". The Times Of India (Indore).
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore – PGP". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore – EPGP". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore – PGPMX at Mumbai". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore – PGPMX at Dubai". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore – FPM". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore – FPMI". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore – IPM". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore – MDP". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore – MEP". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "IIMs give diplomas not degrees". Times of India.
- "Admission Process". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "Student Exchange Programmes in Top business Schools in India - A primer". InsideIIM. InsideIIM.com. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "The 50 best business schools". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "India's top 50 business schools" (jpg). Hindustan Times. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- "Top B-Schools in India". CNBC-TV18. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Placements at IIMs - Report on InsideIIM". InsideIIM. InsideIIM.com. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "XLRI Final Placement Report which talks about BCG, XLRI and IIM Indore". InsideIIM.com. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "IIM Indore Placements - Class of 2008". mbauniverse.com.
- "IIM Indore Director's Interview with InsideIIM.com". InsideIIM. InsideIIM.com. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore - Department and faculty". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "Indian Institute of Management Indore - Visiting Faculty". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "A Chronology, First Ten Years" (PDF).
- "Library". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- "Sports Complex". www.iimidr.ac.in.
- Management Canvas ISSN 0975-5012
- "Euphoria Rock Show Scheduled to be Held at IIM Indore". www.coolavenues.com.
- "Parikrama - List of Performances(2011)". www.parikrama.com.
- "Mridang". iimi-mridang.com.
- "Mridang gets off to a wonderful start.". Times of India.
- "Utsaha: IIM-I tryst with rural India". daily11.bhaskar.com.
- "Indore Marathon in News". Hindustan Times.
- "Indore Marathon". www.indoremarathon.com.
- http://www.indoremarathon.com/marathon13/index.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.iimidr.ac.in/iimi/index.php/students-corner/events/91-indore-marathon. Missing or empty
- "Indore B-School League, Indian Institute of Management Indore". www.collegekhabar.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Management Indore.|