Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
|Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati|
|Motto||"ज्ञान ही शक्ति है"|
|Motto in English||"Knowledge Is Power"|
|Location||Guwahati, Assam, India
|Campus||Suburban,703.95 acres (2.8 km2)|
|Colors||Red (Power), Blue (Peace), Yellow (Perseverance)
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IIT Guwahati, IITG) is a public institution established by the Government of India, located in Guwahati, in the state of Assam in India. It is the sixth Indian Institute of Technology established in India.
The history of IIT Guwahati traces its roots to the 1985 Assam Accord signed between the All Assam Students Union and the Government of India, which mentions the general improvement in education facilities in Assam and specifically the setting up of an IIT.
IITG was established in 1994 by an act of parliament and its academic programme commenced in 1995. IITG admitted its first batch of students into its Bachelor of Technology programme in 1995. The selection process was the same as that of all IITs, i.e., through the Joint Entrance Examination. In 1998, the first batch of students were accepted into the Master of Technology program through the GATE.
Campus and geography
The campus is on a 700 acres (2.8 km2) plot of land around 20 km from the heart of the city. It has the Brahmaputra on one side and hills and vast open spaces on others.
Situated in the placid terrain of North Guwahati, the institute has a top-notch campus, with methodical patches of greenery and well-organized lanes. All the sectors of the institute are conveniently located, which can be commuted by bicycles or other vehicles. Adequate and orderly places of parking for the vehicles are handy inside the campus. Free from any kind of laxity and irregularity, the campus of IIT Guwahati provides an appropriate and ideal academic atmosphere for its students and staff.
IIT Guwahati houses the following departments:
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Civil Engineering(CE)
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Design
- Department of Electronics & Electrical Engineering (previously known as Department of Electronics and Communication)
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Department of Physics
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
|University and college Rankings|
|General – International|
|Engineering – India|
Internationally, IIT Guwahati was ranked 551–600 in the QS World University Rankings of 2011 and 89 in the QS Asian University Rankings of 2012. In India, among engineering colleges, it ranked 10 by India Today in 2012, 8 by Outlook India in 2012 and 7 by Dataquest in 2011. In the Mint Government Colleges survey of 2009 it ranked 6. The Chemical Engineering department was ranked 101-150 in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2012. In 2014, IIT Guwahati has been ranked 87 in '100 Top Global Universities Under 50 Years' by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, bringing India in the list for the very first time.
IITG is home to six centres of research.
- Centre for Educational Technology
- Centre for Nanotechnology
- Centre for Mass Media Communication
- Central Instruments Facility
- Centre for Energy
- Centre for the Environment
Student life and hostels
IIT Guwahati is a fully residential campus. All the students live in hostels on the campus. The hostels are named after rivers and tributaries of North-East India: Manas, Dihing, Kapili, Siang, Kameng, Barak, Subansiri (girl's hostel), Umiam, Dibang and Brahmaputra. Apart from these, there is a married scholars hostel for married postgraduates.
Every year the students and administration of IIT Guwahati together organize and number of festivals and competitions. Techniche, Alcheringa and IIT-Guwahati Entrepreneurship Summit are the conducted on a very large scale. Students of IIT Guwahati participate in the annually held Inter IIT Sports Meet. IIT Guwahati also hosted the 49th Inter IIT Sports Meet in 2013.
Alcheringa, popularly known as "Alcher" is the annual cultural extravaganza of the Indian Institute of Technology(IIT),Guwahati. Started in 1996 by a group of students of IIT Guwahati, the festival is in its 19th incarnation. Generally a four-nights and three-days festival, Alcheringa witnessed an estimated footfall of 50000 people in its last edition. Alcheringa is a student-run non-profit organisation catering primarily to the youth of the nation.
Alcheringa has a history of having witnessed famous Indian and International artists. The List includes world's fastest guitar shredder Michael Angelo Batio, Swiss folk metal band Eluveitie, Israeli progressive metal band - Orphaned Land, Portuguese beat boxer Rizumik, Irish metal band - Frantic Jack, Pakistani pop rock band - Strings, Villalobos Brothers - the Mexican trio and an alternative rock group from New York City - Betty in the international section.
Renowned Indian artists like Mohit Chauhan, Sonu Nigam, Javed Ali, Shaan, K.K, Shankar Ehsaan Loy, Shilpa Rao, RDB, Anoushka Shankar, Pt.Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Rock band Euphoria, Vir Das and Kalki Koechlin add stature to the list.
Techniche is the annual techno-management festival of IIT Guwahati. Techniche is held in September every year over three days. Techniche provides students from schools and colleges across India a platform to interact with many experts in subject areas through its lecture series. It has been attended by R. Chidambaram, Kiran Bedi, H. C. Verma, Mike Fincke, John C. Mather and others.
Cleverbot Turing Test
Cleverbot, a learning Artificial Intelligence program participated in a formal Turing Test at the 2011 Techniche festival at the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati on September 3, 2011. Out of the 334 votes cast, Cleverbot was judged to be 59.3% human, compared to the rating of 63.3% human achieved by human participants. A score of 50.05% or higher is often considered to be a passing grade. The software running for the event had to handle just 1 or 2 simultaneous requests, whereas online Cleverbot is usually talking to around 10,000 people at once.
IIT Guwahati Entrepreneurship Summit
The IIT Guwahati Entrepreneurship Summit (IES) is conducted by the Entrepreneurial Development Cell (EDC), IIT Guwahati to inspire young students in North-East India to become Entrepreneurs. It is held annually as a 3 day summit in March. Apart from a series of talks by eminent speakers there are a host of workshops & networking sessions.
- "About - Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati". IIT Guwahati. 2011-01-05. Retrieved 2011-01-05.
- "Gautam Biswas takes over as IIT-Guwahati director". IIT Guwahati. Retrieved Sep 7, 2013.
- "Director's message, IIT Guwahati". IIT Guwahati. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "Institutes of National Importance". The Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID). Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- "Impact of IIT Guwahati on India's North East Region". The World Reporter. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "JEE 2009". IIT Guwahati. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- "FAQs regarding Faculty Positions". IIT Guwahati. Retrieved 2009-01-20.[dead link]
- "QS World University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2011. Retrieved September 30, 2011.
- "QS Asian University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2012. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- "Top 400 - The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2011-2012". The Times Higher Education. 2011. Retrieved October 6, 2011.
- "Best Engineering colleges 2014". India Today. 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "India's Top Engineering Colleges 2012 (DQ-CMR T-Schools Survey 2012)". archive.dqindia.com/. Dataquest. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Top 50 Government Engineering Colleges of 2009" (PDF). Mint. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- Article, The Hindu (3/2/2014). "Alcheringa 2014 draws huge participation of cultural enthusiasts". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- Impact of IIT Guwahati on India's North East Region | The World Reporter: News Opinion and Analysis. The World Reporter (2013-06-05). Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- IIT GUWAHATI Entrepreneurship Summit 2013 Kickstarts | StudentStory. Student.yourstory.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- NEN 360. Nen360.nenonline.org (2011-02-05). Retrieved on 2013-10-09.