Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
|Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati|
|Motto||"ज्ञान ही शक्ति है"|
|Motto in English||"Knowledge Is Power"|
|Type||Education and Research Institute|
|Location||Guwahati, Assam, India
|Campus||Suburban,703.95 acres (2.8 km2)|
|Colors||Red (Power), Blue (Peace), Yellow (Perseverance)
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IIT Guwahati, IITG) is an autonomous engineering and technology-oriented institute of higher education established by the Government of India, located in Guwahati, in the state of Assam in India. It is the sixth Indian Institute of Technology established in India.
The history of IIT Guwahati traces its roots to the 1985 Assam Accord signed between the All Assam Students Union and the Government of India, which mentions the general improvement in education facilities in Assam and specifically the setting up of an IIT.
IITG was established in 1994 by an act of parliament and its academic programme commenced in 1995. IITG admitted its first batch of students into its Bachelor of Technology programme in 1995. The selection process was the same as that of all IITs, i.e., through the Joint Entrance Examination. In 1998, the first batch of students were accepted into the Master of Technology program through the GATE.
Campus and geography
The campus is on a 700 acres (2.8 km2) plot of land around 20 km from the heart of the city. It has the majestic Brahmaputra on one side and hills and vast open spaces on others.
IIT Guwahati houses the following departments:
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Civil Engineering(CE)
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Design
- Department of Electronics & Electrical Engineering (previously known as Department of Electronics and Communication)
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Department of Physics
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
|University and college rankings|
|General – International|
|Engineering – India|
Internationally, IIT Guwahati was ranked 551–600 in the QS World University Rankings of 2011 and 89 in the QS Asian University Rankings of 2012. In India, among engineering colleges, it ranked 10 by India Today in 2012, 8 by Outlook India in 2012 and 7 by Dataquest in 2011. In the Mint Government Colleges survey of 2009 it ranked 6. The Chemical Engineering department was ranked 101-150 in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2012.
IITG is home to six centres of research.
- Centre for Educational Technology
- Centre for Nanotechnology
- Centre for Mass Media Communication
- Central Instruments Facility
- Centre for Energy
- Centre for the Environment
Student life and hostels
IIT Guwahati is a fully residential campus. The Gymhkana Club promotes the objectives of fostering extracurricular and co-curricular activities, welfare of students and their stay on the campus.
All the students live in hostels on the campus. The hostels are named after rivers and tributaries of North-East India: Manas, Dihing, Kapili, Siang, Kameng, Barak, Subansiri (girl's hostel), Umiam, Dibang and Brahmaputra. Apart from these, there is a married scholars hostel for married postgraduates. Among these hostels Manas, Dihing, Kapili and Siang are the old hostels and are of unique infrastructure compared to fairly new ones Kameng, Barak, Umiam and Dibang which can accommodate more people compared to the old ones. Every hostel has its own mess and canteen(s).
IIT Guwahati has numerous sports facilities thanks to Student Activity Center(SAC) maintained by students Gymkhana. That include athletic ground, football ground, hockey ground, cricket ground, lawn tennis courts, badminton courts etc.. and a gym. Every year a set of students are selected from each sports category for 'Inter IIT Sports Meet', a set of sporting events occur in the winter at any one of the IIT's.
Students' Gymkhana Council
Students' Gymkhana Council is democratic student body that acts as the link between the students and the administration. The Gymhkana Club promotes the objectives of fostering extra-curricular and co-curricular activities, welfare of students and their stay on the campus. It comprises five boards, Cultural Board, Technical Board, Sports Board, Welfare Board, and Hostel Affairs Board. All the members of the Students' Gymkhana are elected for the students, by the students and from the students. Elections are held mid-March.
Every year the students and administration of IIT Guwahati together organize and number of festivals and competitions. Techniche, Alcheringa and IIT-Guwahati Entrepreneurship Summit are the conducted on a very large scale and are growing in terms of participation and sponsors.
Techniche is the annual techno-management festival of IIT Guwahati. Techniche is held in September every year over three days. Techniche provides students from schools and colleges across India a platform to interact with many experts in subject areas through its lecture series. It has been attended by R. Chidambaram, Kiran Bedi, H. C. Verma, Mike Fincke, John C. Mather and others.
Alcheringa is the annual cultural festival of the IITG. It is held for 4 nights and 3 days generally on the first weekend of February. Started in 1996 by a bunch of IITG students, Alcheringa has a footfall of more than 40,000 and a participation from 150 colleges from across the country.
IIT Guwahati Entrepreneurship Summit
The IIT Guwahati Entrepreneurship Summit (IES) is conducted by the Entrepreneurial Development Cell (EDC), IIT Guwahati to inspire young students in North-East India to become Entrepreneurs. It is held annually as a 3 day summit in March. Apart from a series of talks by eminent speakers there are a host of workshops & networking sessions.
- Manthan, the annual inter-hostel cultural festival
- Alfaaz, the annual literary festival
- Kriti, the annual inter-hostel technical festival
- Spardha, the annual inter-hostel sports fest
- Performing Arts Festival (PAF), the annual performing arts festival
- AdvayaPG the PG fest.
Besides these, Inter-IIT Sports Meet is held annually every winter among the Indian Institutes of Technology. The Meet is hosted by each of the IITs in turn. In 2006, IIT Guwahati hosted the 42nd Inter-IIT Sports Meet for the first time. It will host the meet for the second time in December 2013.
On August 31, it was reported that a Senior Professor of Biotechnology Department at IIT Guwahati was suspended for sending vulgar SMS to one of Female Students.
- "About - Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati". IIT Guwahati. 2011-01-05. Retrieved 2011-01-05.
- "Gautam Biswas takes over as IIT-Guwahati director". IIT Guwahati. Retrieved Sep 7, 2013.
- "Director's message, IIT Guwahati". IIT Guwahati. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "Institutes of National Importance". The Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID). Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- "Impact of IIT Guwahati on India's North East Region". The World Reporter. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "JEE 2009". IIT Guwahati. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- "FAQs regarding Faculty Positions". IIT Guwahati. Retrieved 2009-01-20.[dead link]
- "QS World University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2011. Retrieved September 30, 2011.
- "QS Asian University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2012. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- "Best Engineering colleges 2013". India Today. 24 June 2013. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "India's Top Engineering Colleges 2012 (DQ-CMR T-Schools Survey 2012)". archive.dqindia.com/. Dataquest. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Top 50 Government Engineering Colleges of 2009" (PDF). Mint. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Alcheringa 2011:The Dream Gets Closer". The Meghalaya Guardian,Page 3. 17 January 2011.
- Impact of IIT Guwahati on India's North East Region | The World Reporter: News Opinion and Analysis. The World Reporter (2013-06-05). Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- IIT GUWAHATI Entrepreneurship Summit 2013 Kickstarts | StudentStory. Student.yourstory.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- NEN 360. Nen360.nenonline.org (2011-02-05). Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- "IIT Guwahati Professor suspended for sending Vulgar SMS to Girl". Retrieved 31 August 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to IIT Guwahati.|