Indian Institute of Technology Indore
|Indian Institute of Technology
|Motto in English||Knowledge is for the well-being of everyone|
|Type||Education and Research Institution|
|Location||Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Campus||525 acres (2.1 km2)|
|Colours||Maroon, White and Black|
Indian Institute of Technology Indore (IIT Indore or IITI), located in Madhya Pradesh, is an institute of national importance established by the Government of India in 2009 . It is one of the eight new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India under The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011 which declares these eight IITs as well as the conversion of Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University to IIT. The Act was passed in the Lok Sabha on 24 March 2011 and by the Rajya Sabha on 30 April 2012.
Mr.Arjun Singh, the HRD minister of India laid the foundation stone of IIT Indore on 17 February 2009 in its permanent campus located in Simrol, Indore, Madhya Pradesh. The first batch of IIT Indore graduated in the year 2013, and the institute celebrated its first Convocation Day on 8 June 2013.
IIT Indore's permanent campus is spread over an area of about 510-acre (2.1 km2), on 17 February 2009 at Simrol, a location about 25 km from the city of Indore. However, construction was delayed for more than three years since a major portion of the land was not cleared by the forest department.IIT-Indore is still operating from the rented campus at IET building for which union ministry of human resources and development had sought extension till 2015. The reluctant Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya(DAVV) had permitted the institute to run from IET till December 2012 but had to consider letter of union ministry. In April 2012 it was announced that the land was transferred, along with funding, and so construction is soon to begin, expecting to be completed by 2015.
IIT Bombay is the mentor of IIT Indore. To coordinate various activities in connection with the establishment of the new IIT at Indore, Devang Khakhar, Director of IIT Bombay, mentor director of IIT Indore set up a Cell comprising Convener and several senior Faculty of IIT Bombay. Pradeep Mathur has been appointed as the first director of IIT Indore.
IIT Indore offers a 4-year Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) programmes in several engineering fields. Admission to these programmes is through the Indian Institute of Technology Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE), and students are admitted after completing 10+2 schooling.
The postgraduate programs at IIT Indore includes Ph.D. programmes in engineering, humanities and basic sciences.
IIT Indore has three schools with over seventy faculty members including regular, visiting, adjunct and other faculty members on deputation from IIT Bombay. The three schools are:
- School of Basic Sciences
- School of Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
IIT Indore plans to have world-class research programmes, as it evolves. The focus would also be on cutting-edge interdisciplinary research.Research Areas in the school of engineering are Algorithms and Theoretical Computer Science,Semiconductor Devices Physics and Technology, Si/SOI Technology Thin Film Technology, VLSI/ULSI Circuit and System Design, Biomedical Signal Processing, Manufacturing Process Selection and Process Parameters Optimization, Micro-machining and Nano-finishing Processes and so on.
The Nuclear Magnetic resonance spectrometer, Single crystal X-ray diffractometer, Time correlated single photon counting (TCSPC), Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence Microscopy, Dual ion beam sputtering deposition (DIBSD) system, Spin Coater, Optical Surface Metrology System Profiler,
Fluxus is the annual inter-collegiate cultural festival of IIT Indore, held in February. It consists of several competitions, informal events, workshops and showcases professional performances. It was started in 2011. A two-day workshop called Fluxus 2014, focusing on 'eyebotics', a branch of robotics, was held in October 2013. Famous Bollywood singers like Aditi Singh Sharma and Sona Mohapatra have performed at Fluxus. EDM artist Dualist Inquiry has also performed at Fluxus. Famous Rock band Indus Creed has also rocked the Fluxus crowd with their performance at Fluxus. Fluxus 2015 will be held in February,2015.
- "Arjun Singh lays foundation of IIT in Indore". Retrieved 2009-02-18.
- "The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2010" (PDF).
- "LS passes bill to provide IIT status to 8 institutes, BHU". deccanherald.com. March 24, 2021. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "Parliament passes IIT bill". ThetimesofIndia.com. April 30, 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Arjun Singh to lay foundation stone of IIT, Bhubaneswar today - News Oneindia. News.oneindia.in (2009-02-12). Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- CONVOCATION 2013. Iiti.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- IIT-I struggles, counterparts shift to permanent campus - Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- "Decks cleared for building IIT-I, new campus to come up in 3 years - Times Of India". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Sophisticated Instrumentation Center". Retrieved 15 December 15012.
- "Fluxus - Annual Techno-Cultural Festival of IIT Indore". Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Workshop on Robotics at IIT Indore - The Times of India". The Times Of India.