Indian Institute of Technology Mandi
|Indian Institute of Technology
|भारतीय प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान मण्डी|
|Type||Education and Research Institution|
|Director||Timothy A. Gonsalves|
|Location||Mandi, Himachal Pradesh, India
|Campus||Spread over 520 acres (2.1 km2) along river Uhl in Kamand, Mandi, Himachal Pradesh|
Indian Institute of Technology Mandi (IIT Mandi) is an engineering and technology higher education institute located in Mandi. It is one of the eight new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India under The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011 which declares these eight IITs as well as the conversion of Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University to IIT. The Act was passed in the Lok Sabha on 24 March 2011 and by the Rajya Sabha on 30 April 2012.
IIT Mandi was mentored by IIT Roorkee, which hosted the first batch of students. IIT Mandi's permanent campus (about 12 km from historic city of Mandi) is under construction along Uhl River (a tributary of River Beas) at Kamand, Mandi. The institute admits students into various B.Tech., M.S, and Ph.D. programs (as of 2012). Timothy A. Gonsalves joined as the first Director of IIT Mandi on 15 January 2010 and R. C. Sawhney served as the first Registrar of IIT Mandi.
The laying of the foundation stone at Kamand, the site for the permanent campus of IIT Mandi, took place on 24 February 2009. IIT Mandi was registered as a society in Uttarakhand on 20 June 2009. Admission of the first batch of students took place in July 2009, and classes started in IIT Roorkee, the mentoring IIT, in 27 July 2009. The transit campus at Government Post graduate College, Mandi was handed over by the Himachal Pradesh Government 16 November 2009.
The permanent campus is about 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) from Mandi town. The campus is located in the forested hills of Kamand on the banks of the Uhl, a tributary of River Beas. A total of 565 acres (229 ha) of land has been allocated for the campus by the government of Himachal Pradesh.
The sites allocated for the use of IIT Mandi transit campus are located within the Mandi town, They are:.
- IIT Mandi Academic Block: Vallabh Degree College campus, Mandi for academic activities
- IIT Mandi Administrative Block: Mandav Hotel for Administration, staff residences
- Renuka Hall: IIT Mandi girls hostel, adjacent to the Administration Block.
- Beas Kund Hall: IIT Mandi research scholar boys hostel, adjacent to the Administration Block.
IIT Mandi, the youngest of all IITs, has shifted residential and academic facilities on the main campus. On September 23, 2012, a batch of 108 B.Tech 2nd year students, along with few research scholars shifted to the main campus. About 20 faculty members, staff and their families, besides a few research scholars, have accompanied them to the Kamand Campus. The permanent campus of IIT Mandi in Kamand is operational and some sites in Kamand are:
- Prashar: Boys hostel of IIT Mandi, situated in south campus, Kamand.
- Chandra Taal: Girls Hostel of IIT Mandi, in south campus, Kamand.
- Nako: Boys hostel of IIT Mandi, in south campus, Kamand.
- Faculty/ Staff Quarters: Residence for some of the faculty and staff in the south campus.
- Renovated Stable Complex: Houses a few laboratories, NKN classroom and conference rooms.
- Academic Block: In south campus, it houses academic building, faculty offices and dean office.
- AMRC: Advanced Material Research Centre.
With a vision, to be a leader in science and technology education, knowledge creation and innovation, in an India marching towards a just, inclusive and sustainable society. IIT Mandi like all other Indian Institutes of Technology, conducts various programs including Bachelor's degree in Technology (B.Tech.). It also offers postgraduate level programs like Master of Science and Master of Science(Research). Further, it also offers a Ph.D. program for cutting edge research  in basics sciences such as chemical sciences, physical sciences as well as in disciplines of engineering. The academic year is organized between two semester a year. IIT Mandi follows a 10 point CGPA scale, with a rigorous examination procedure consisting of two mid-semester examinations called Quizzes and an end-semester exam. Apart from that, the courses may involve short projects, term-papers, self-study assignments, tutorials and regular surprise quizzes.
Currently, IIT Mandi offers Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) programs in three disciplines namely:
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
Like all the other IITs, admissions to these programs are done on the basis of merit list of JEE-Advanced, the second phase examination of Joint Entrance Examination (JEE), which is an all India engineering entrance examination.
IIT Mandi also offers postgraduate programs like M.S.(by Research), M.Sc. and M.Tech. under various departments. Currently, IIT Mandi offers M.S. program in fields of basic sciences and engineering, M.Sc. program in Chemistry and M.Tech. in Energy Materials. For any candidate to be eligible for admission, he/she must have a Bachelor degree in Engineering / Technology or Masters degree in appropriate Sciences with valid score in GATE or equivalent national level examination or GRE in appropriate discipline. Shortlisted candidates are called for personal interview and based on which admission is offered.
IIT Mandi also offers Ph.D. program in the field of engineering and basic sciences. To be eligible for admission process, the candidate must have a Master’s degree in sciences with a good academic record and a valid GATE score or UGC/CSIR NET/ Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record/ B. Tech degree of any IIT with a minimum of CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE Score or B. Tech. / B.E degree of any recognized University in India with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or equivalent with valid GATE score.
Collaboration with TU9, Germany and WPI, USA
IIT Mandi has collaboration program with many foreign universities. Students from WPI, USA come at IIT Mandi to work with IIT Mandi students on 'Interdisciplinary Socio-technical Practicum (ISTP)'. Through the ISTP, students will explore the various issues/problems of society, they will propose technology-based solutions for these, and they will evaluate the proposed solutions from social, technical, economical, environmental and other aspects.
The Institute primarily consists of Faculty, Project Associates and Students divided across several schools. Currently there are four schools operational in IIT Mandi.
- School of Computing and Electrical Engineering
- School of Basic Sciences
- School of Engineering
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Student activities at IIT Mandi are grouped into six different societies namely, Technical, Cultural, Literary, Sports, Academic and Research.
Technical Society include Energy club, Electronics club, Programming Club, Astronomy Club, Robotics Club and Mobile and Application Development (MAD) club. Cultural Society include Music club, Choreography club, Dramatics club and Photography Club. Literary Society include English Debating and Literary Society (EDLS) and the student magazine group (Vivaan). Sports society has a sports council which coordinate all the sports activities for Football, Cricket, Badminton, Lawn Tennis (proposed), Badminton, Table Tennis, Volleyball, Basketball, Hockey, Athletics, Chess and Swimming, at both Mandi and Kamand Campus.
Academic Society invites student participation and acts as a bridge between the students and the faculty and helps in the overall smooth functioning of the academic activities. It also assists the students in participating in various student exchange programs and internships. Research Society includes IIT Mandi Research Club (IITMRC) which is involved in innovative activities to make new contacts, catch up with junior students, develop new opportunities and keep up to date with the latest developments in science and technology.
Exodia is the annual technical cum cultural fest of IIT Mandi. It is a three-day long event held towards the start of March. It is one of biggest event of Himachal Pradesh, which gathers a lot of crowd from schools and colleges of North India. Started in 2012 by bunch of enthusiast IITians, it is a student-run non-profit organization which caters primarily to the youth. Exodia '12 and Exodia '13 were set in the transit campus of IIT Mandi. Exodia'14 is proposed to be in permanent campus. Exodia '12 was organised from February 11–13. Events like The Dalal Street(Virtual stock market game), Junkyard Warz and Nitro-Blaze(Clash of miniature racing cars) turned out to be attraction. Exodia '13 was organised from 1–3 March. Around 550 students took part in the fest from the reputed technical institutes from all over India like IIT Kanpur, IIT Ropar, IIIT Hyderabad, BITS Goa and so on. The band of ex-euphoria member, EKA; Kathak performance by Monisa Nayak, Mr and Ms. Exodia and musical show by YouTube artistes were some of the highlights of the fest. Cultural events like Band Slam, Alap, Instrumania, Big Stink, Envision(Documentary-aking contest), Synchronians (group dance) and Groove fanatics (solo dance) featured in it.
Rann-Neeti is the Annual Inter College Sports Fest of IIT Mandi organised by Student Gymkhana of IIT Mandi. It is a three day long event held every year in the month of September in which college from states all over the nation participate.
- "The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2010" (PDF).
- "LS passes bill to provide IIT status to 8 institutes, BHU". deccanherald.com. March 24, 2011. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "Parliament passes IIT bill". ThetimesofIndia.com. April 30, 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "College Khabar - Engineering Placement News, Student College Reviews, Company Reviews, College Events,Placement Papers, Student Interviews".
- "Foundation Stone laid in Mandi" (PDF).
- Ravinder Makhaik. "Admissions to IIT Mandi from coming session – Dhumal". Hill Post.
- Institute History. IIT Mandi Website. Retrieved on 2014-08-22.
- "IIT-Mandi campus gets Environment go-ahead".
- "Environment Ministry clears diversion of forest land for setting permanent campus of IIT Mandi". The Economic Times.
- "Indian Institute Of Technology Mandi - Transit Campus".
- "Indian Institute Of Technology Mandi".
- Chitra Unnithan & Vinay Umarji (21 June 2010). "New IITs aim high from transit camps; lay stress on research".
- "Undergraduate Admissions<< IIT Mandi".
- "Middle path the way out of IIT exam stalemate".
- "Two new programs".
- "Call for M.S. /Ph.D. Programs".
- B.S. Warrier. "Research in IITs". The Hindu.
- "Indian Institute Of Technology Mandi".
- "Exodia-2013, a big hit! << News << IIT Mandi".
- Official website
- IIT Mandi google maps
- Exodia (official website)
- Exodia (Facebook page)
- Rann-Neeti (Facebook Page)
- (Official Website)