Indian Institute of Technology Mandi
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
|Indian Institute of Technology
|Type||Education and Research Institution|
|Director||Timothy A. Gonsalves|
|Location||Mandi,, Himachal Pradesh, India
|Campus||Spread over 520 acres (2.1 km2) along river Uhl in Kamand, Mandi, Himachal Pradesh|
Indian Institute of Technology Mandi (IIT Mandi) is an engineering and technology higher education institute located in Mandi. It is one of the eight new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India under The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011 which declares these eight IITs as well as the conversion of Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University to IIT. The Act was passed in the Lok Sabha on 24 March 2011 and by the Rajya Sabha on 30 April 2012.
IIT Mandi is mentored by IIT Roorkee, which hosted the first batch of students. Presently, IIT Mandi functions from transit campus at Mandi town in Himachal Pradesh. Permanent campus (about 12 km from historic city of Mandi) is under construction along Uhl River (a tributary of River Beas) at Kamand, Mandi. The institute admits students into various B.Tech., M.S, and Ph.D. programs (as of 2012). Timothy A. Gonsalves joined as Director of IIT Mandi on 15 January 2010. R. C. Sawhney is serving as Registrar of IIT Mandi.
The laying of the foundation stone at Kamand, the site for the permanent campus of IIT Mandi, took place on 24 February 2009. IIT Mandi was registered as a society in Uttarakhand on 20 June 2009. Admission of the first batch of students took place in July 2009, and classes started in IIT Roorkee, the mentoring IIT, in 27 July 2009. The transit campus at Government Post graduate College, Mandi was handed over by the Himachal Pradesh Government 16 November 2009.
The permanent campus is about 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from Mandi town. The location is in the forested hills of Kamand on the banks of the Uhl, a tributary of River Beas. A total of 565 acres (229 ha) of land has been allocated for the campus by the government of Himachal Pradesh.
- Temporary campus
The sites allocated for the use of IIT Mandi transit campus are located within the Mandi town, They are
- IIT Mandi Academic Block: Vallabh Degree College campus, Mandi for academic activities
- IIT Mandi Administrative Block: Mandav Hotel for Administration, staff residences
- Renuka Hall: IIT Mandi women's hostel
- Dashir Hostel: IIT Mandi boys Hostel at Jail Road (approx 2 km away from Academic Block)
- Suvalsar Hostel: IIT Mandi boys hostel (1st year) adjacent to Academic Block, IIT Mandi
- Nako Hostel: IIT Mandi boys hostel at Manali Road (approx 2.5 km away from Academic Block)
- Beas Kund Hostel: IIT Mandi research scholar boys hostel at jail road (approx 2.1 km away from Academic Block)
- Permanent Campus
IIT Mandi, the youngest of all IITs, has shifted residential and academic facilities on the main campus. On September 23, 2012, a batch of 108 B.Tech 2nd year students, along with few research scholars shifted to the main campus. About 20 faculty members, staff and their families, besides a few research scholars, have accompanied them to the Kamand Campus. The permanent campus of IIT Mandi in Kamand is operational and some sites in Kamand are
- Prashar Hostel: IIT Mandi Boys Hostel in Kamand
- Faculty/ Staff Quarters: Residence for some of the faculty and staff
- Renovated Complex: Serving as Academic Block, houses a few laboratries.
- AMRC: Advanced Material Research Centre
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2013)|
With a vision, to be a leader in science and technology education, knowledge creation and innovation, in an India marching towards a just, inclusive and sustainable society. IIT Mandi conducts various programs including bachelor's degree in Technology, It also offers postgraduate level programs like Master of Science. Finally, it also offers a Ph.D. program for cutting edge research in basics sciences such as chemical sciences, physical sciences as well as in disciplines of engineering. The academic year is organized between two semester a year. IIT Mandi follows a 10 point CGPA scale, with a rigorous examination procedure consisting of two mid-semester examinations called Quizzes and an end-semester exam. Apart from that, the courses may involve short projects, term-papers, self-study assignments, tutorilas and regular surprise quizzes.
IIT Mandi offers B.Tech programmes in 3 disciplines.
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
IIT Mandi also offers M.S in fields of sciences and engineering. The candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology or Masters degree in appropriate Sciences with valid score in GATE/NET or equivalent national level examination or GRE in appropriate discipline.
IIT Mandi also offers Ph.D programme in the field of engineering and basic sciences. To be eligible for admission process, the candidate must have a Master’s degree in sciences with a good academic record and a valid GATE score or UGC/CSIR NET/ Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record/ B. Tech degree of any IIT with a minimum of CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE Score or B. Tech. / B.E degree of any recognized University in India with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or equivalent with valid GATE score.
The Institute primarily consists of Faculty, Project Associates and Students divided across several schools. Currently there are four schools operational in IIT Mandi.
- School of Basic Sciences
- School of Computing and Electrical Engineering
- School of Engineering & Technology
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Student activities have been distributed into three broad categories, technical, cultural and sports. Technical societies include robotics, information management group, web development team and electronics club. Cultural societies include dramatics, choreography, music section and program management.
See also: Exodia
Exodia is the annual technical cum cultural fest of IIT Mandi. It is a three-day long event held towards the start of March. It is one of biggest event of Himachal Pradesh, which gathers a lot of crowd from schools and colleges of North India. Started in 2012 by bunch of enthusiast IITians, it is a student-run non-profit organization which caters primarily to the youth. Exodia '12 and Exodia '13 were set in the transit campus of IIT Mandi. Exodia'14 is proposed to be in permanent campus. Exodia '12 was organised from February 11-13. Events like The Dalal Street(Virtual stock market game), Junkyard Warz and Nitro-Blaze(Clash of miniature racing cars) turned out to be attraction. Exodia '13 was organised from 1-3 March. Around 550 students took part in the fest from the reputed technical institutes from all over India like IIT Kanpur, IIT Ropar, IIIT Hyderabad, BITS Goa and so on. The band of ex-euphoria member, EKA; Kathak performance by Monisa Nayak, Mr and Ms. Exodia and musical show by you tube artistes were some of the highlights of the fest. Cultural events like Band Slam, Alap, Instrumania, Big Stink, Envision(Documentary-aking contest), Synchronians (group dance) and Groove fanatics (solo dance) featured in it.
- "The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2010" (PDF).
- "LS passes bill to provide IIT status to 8 institutes, BHU". deccanherald.com. March 24, 2011. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "Parliament passes IIT bill". ThetimesofIndia.com. April 30, 2012. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- Foundation stone for IIT Mandi, Himachal Pradesh laid. Goiit.com. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- IIT-I struggles, counterparts shift to permanent campus - Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- Undergraduate Admissions<< IIT Mandi. Iitmandi.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- [dead link]
- Schools << IIT Mandi. Iitmandi.ac.in. Retrieved on 2013-10-09.