Indian Institutes of Information Technology
Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) are a group of institutes of higher education in India, focused on information technology. They are established by the central government, centrally funded, and managed by the Ministry of Human Resource Development. Indian Government is likely to approve the Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) Bill that seeks to give IIITs administrative autonomy and uniformity and set up 20 more such schools on a public-private partnership (PPP) model. Admissions into undergraduate programmes in IIITs are through the Joint Entrance Examination JEE.
List of IIITs
- MHRD Funded
- Setup on Public Private Partnership by MHRD, respective State Governments and Industry Partners.
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Sri City
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Kota
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Vadodara
- Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Kerala
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Srirangam
Proposed new Institutes
As per the Budget 2011, twenty more IIITs under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model, are to be launched soon for every major state of India. Nasscom recently submitted a detailed project report to the Government of India on the establishment of new IIITs.
Each of the IIITs has been proposed to be set up as a fully autonomous institution, through the PPP model. The partners setting up IIITs will be the ministry of human resource development, the governments of respective states where each IIIT will be established and industry members. The report suggests that private organisations should play an equal or slightly greater role in bringing investment for the new IIITs. According to former director Chandresh Chauhan, IIITs are not to be confused with IITs because the two institutions offer completely different focuses.
- "Technical Education – Centrally Funded Institutions". mhrd.gov.in. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- [dead link]
- Govt approves bill to set up 20 more IIITs. Hindustan Times (2012-08-17). Retrieved on 2013-10-09.
- Nasscom Press Release
- "Draft of The Institutes of Information Technology Bill 2010" (PDF).
- "IIIT bill soon for 20 new institutes in PPP mode". highbeam.com. Retrieved 28 July 2011.