Indian Muslim Council
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (December 2013)|
The Indian American Muslim Council formerly (Indian Muslim Council-USA) is the largest advocacy organization of Indian Muslims in the United States with 13 chapters across the nation. It is a non-profit organization established on August 15, 2002, which was the 55th anniversary of India's Independence.
The mission of Indian American Muslim Council is to safeguard India's pluralist and tolerant ethos and to promote peace, pluralism and social justice through strategic advocacy.
After 2002 Gujarat Violence, Muslims of Indian origin in USA created the organization to advocate minority rights in India.
Aims and Activities
The objectives of IAMC are:
- To promote the common values of pluralism, tolerance, and respect for human rights that form the basis of the world's two largest secular democracies - the United States and India.
- To work towards increasing inter-faith and inter-community understanding in the United States, with particular focus on the Indian Diaspora with a view to safeguard individuals and societal institutions from infiltration by divisive and hate-filled ideologies.
- To provide a platform for increasing education and awareness about issues of interest to the Indian community in the United States.
- To build alliances and relationships with all individuals and groups who share our basic values, in order to work together for achieving the above objectives.
- To provide a responsible voice for the Indian Muslim Diaspora in the United States in their quest for all of the above objectives.
IAMC is a constituent of the Coalition Against Genocide, a broad alliance dedicated to justice and accountability for the Gujarat pogrom of 2002 and to combating extremist ideologies that were its genesis.
Through its chapters across United States, IAMC organizes the largest celebration of India's Republic Day in the US on January 26 every year.
IAMC is a grassroots based organization with thirteen chapters in different parts of the United States
- Hindu American Foundation
- Federation of Tamil Sangams of North America
- Friends of South Asia (FOSA) is a California, United States based social and political activist organization
- Parliament of the World's Religions
- United States India Political Action Committee (USINPAC)