National Expressway 1 (India)
|Ahmedabad Vadodara Expressway|
|Maintained by National Highways Authority of India|
|Length:||96 km (60 mi)|
|Major cities:||Nadiad, Anand|
The Ahmedabad Vadodara Expressway, (also known as National Expressway 1, or the Mahatma Gandhi Expressway) is an expressway connecting the cities of Ahmedabad and Vadodara in the state of Gujarat, India.
Two-wheeler vehicles of all kinds are forbidden on the expressway. The expressway is fenced to prevent the entry of two wheelers and cattle, along with several underpasses and overbridges to allow vehicles to cross over.
In 2013, it was announced that IRB Infra, which was also upgrading the stretch of the National Highway connecting Ahmedabad and Vadodara as part of the deal, would not collect toll till construction work was completed.
In 2004, it was reported that the road surface quality on certain stretches of the expressway was inferior due to the substandard quality of construction materials used.
In 2005, it was reported that a major accident took place on the expressway, resulting in a pileup that involved nine vehicles due to fog.
- Mumbai Pune Expressway
- Expressways in India
- National Highways Development Project
- Golden Quadrilateral
- "Mahatma Gandhi expressway in a bad shape". Ahmedabad. Business Standard. July 5, 2005. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Special purpose vehicle for Ahmedabad-Vadodara scheme". New Delhi. The Hindu. October 14, 2000. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- "PM to inaugurate Rs 180-cr Ahmedabad expressway". New Delhi. The Hindu. Jan 27, 2003. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
- Bose, Raja (June 10, 2004). "Zip from Vadodara to A'bad in an hour". Ahmedabad. Times of India. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- Ahmedabad Vadodara Expressway to be ready by March-Source-Business Standard
- "Atal dream revs up on Ahmedabad Expressway". Vadodara. Times of India. May 25, 2004. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Ahmedabad-Vadodara expressway to become six lane: NHAI". The Times of India (Vadodara). 2009-02-28. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- Paul John & Kevin Antao (October 14, 2009). "No two-wheelers on Expressway? Take that!". Ahmedabad. Times of India. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- "After VIPs,aam admi stalls Expressway". Ahmedabad. Times of India. July 24, 2004. Retrieved 2013-07-25.
- Dasgupta, Yashodhara (May 20, 2013). "Government mulls alternate models to kick start delayed expressway projects". New Delhi. Economic Times. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- Arora, Amit (May 29, 2009). "Guj seeks extension of expressway to Mumbai". Gandhinagar. Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- "IRB ties in record BOT road deal". Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
- Dhomse, Himansh (February 14, 2012). "Soon, a 10-lane 'Super Expressway' for Vadodara". Ahmedabad. Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- "New Year gift: No toll on A’bad-Vadodara". Vadodara. Indian Express. Jan 1, 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- "Six laning of expressway to be over in two years". Gandhinagar. Times of India. May 13, 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- Tushar, Prabhune (2005-12-25). "Gujarat expressway takes road to destruction". Ahmedabad. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
- Rautela, Vikram (January 31, 2006). "Expressway offers speed not safety". Ahmedabad. Times of India. Retrieved 2013-07-25.
- Mukherjee, Amit (Jun 13, 2003). "Fatal surprises on A'bad-Nadiad Expressway". Nadiad. Times of India. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Fatal mishaps on Ahmedabad-Vadodara expressway". Ahmedabad. Daily News and Analysis. Jun 14, 2011. Retrieved 2013-07-25.
- "Mumbai-Pune Expressway turns into a death trap". Pune. Daily News and Analysis. January 3, 2012. Retrieved 2013-07-25.
- Soni, Nikunj (August 3, 2009). "Expressway is no boon for GSRTC commuters". Ahmedabad. Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 2013-07-28.