Indian National Trade Union Congress
|Full name||Indian National Trade Union Congress|
|Founded||May 3, 1947|
|Key people||G. Sanjeeva Reddy, President; Rajendra Prasad Singh, General Secretary.|
|Office location||4, Bhai Veer Singh Marg, New Delhi|
Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC) is the trade union wing of the Indian National Congress. It was founded May 3, 1947, and is affiliated with the International Trade Union Confederation. According to provisional statistics from the Ministry of Labour, INTUC had a membership of 3,892,011 in 2002.
Birth and growth of INTUC
The foundation of INTUC on 3 May 1947-just 3 months before India attained independence.
Acharya JB Kripalani, who was then President of the Indian National Congress inaugurated the Founding conference of INTUC which was presided over by Sardar Vallabhai Patel. Among the distinguished leaders who attended the opening session were Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, Shankaraaro Deo, Jagjivan Ram, BG Kher, OP Mehtab, Aruna Asaf Ali, Ram Manohar Lohia etc. and prominent trade unionists. Under the guidance of Mahatma Gandhi, the founding fathers in their wisdom preferred to let the INTUC have an independent identity with its own constitution, while at the same time functioning as an arm of the Congress.
INTUC Congress relationship
Since inception, INTUC has been maintaining very close relationship with AICC. On several occasions there have been discussions over the relationship between INTUC and AICC and the need for having continuous dialogue between the two organizations on issues of mutual interests. In order to have regular interaction between the INTUC & AICC a five-member Committee was appointed by the AICC in 1967 and Shri Gulzarilal Nanda was the Convener. Similarly during 2002, an Advisory Committee was formed under the Chairmanship of Shri Pranab Mukherjee. Three General Secretaries represented AICC in the Committee. On behalf of INTUC, Dr. G. Sanjeeva Reddy, General Secretary and two Vice-Presidents were represented. Later Dr. Reddy was included as special invitee in the CWC
Objectives of INTUC
To establish an order of society which is free from hindrance in the way on an all round development of its individual members, which fosters the growth of human personality in all its aspects and goes to the utmost limit in progressively eliminating social political or economic exploitation and inequality, the profit motive in the economic activity and organization of society and the anti-social concentration in any form.
To place industry under national ownership and control in suitable form in order to realize the aforesaid objectives in the quickest time.
To organize society in such a manner as to ensure full employment and the best utilization of its manpower and other resources.
To secure increasing association of the worker in the administration of industry and their full participation in its control.
To promote generally the social civic and political interest of the working class to secure an effective and complete organization of all categories of workers, including agricultural labour.
To guide and co-ordinate the activities of the affiliated organizations.
To assist and co-ordinate the activities of the affiliated organizations.
To assist in the formation of trade unions.
To promote the organization of workers of each industry on a nation-wide basis.
To assist in the formation of Regional or Pradesh Branches or Federations.
To secure speedy improvement of conditions of work and life and of the status of the workers in industry and society.
To obtain for the workers various measures of social security, including adequate provision in respect of accidents, maternity, sickness, old age and unemployment.
To secure a living wage for every worker in normal employment and to bring about a progressive improvement in the workers standard of living.
To regulate hours and other conditions of work in keeping with the conditions of the workers and to ensure the proper enforcement of legislation for the protection and up-lift of labour.
To establish just industrial relations.
To secure redressal of grievances, without stoppages of work, by means of negotiations and conciliation and failing these by arbitration or adjudication.
To take recourse to other legitimate method, including strikes or any suitable form of satyagraha, where adjudication is not applied and settlement of disputes within a reasonable time by arbitration is not available for the redress of grievances.
To make necessary arrangements for the efficient conduct satisfactory and speedy conclusion of authorized strikes or satyagraha.
To foster the spirit of solidarity, service, brotherhood co-operation and mutual help among the workers.
To develop in the workers a sense of responsibility towards the industry and community.
To raise the workers' standard of efficiency and discipline.
Partial list of affiliates
- All India National Life Insurance Emp. Federation
- Central Govt. Employees Confederation
- Federation of National Postal Organization
- Indian National Bank Employees Federations
- Indian National Bank Officers Congress
- Indian National Building Construction, Forest & Woodworkers Federation
- Indian National Cement Workers Federation
- Indian National Chemical Workers Federation
- Indian National Defence Workers Federation
- Indian National Electricity Workers Federation
- Indian National Food & Drink Workers Federation
- Indian National Jute Workers Federation
- Indian National Metal Workers Federation
- Indian National Mineworkers Federation
- Indian National Municipal & Local Bodies Workers Federation
- Indian National Paper Mill Workers Federation
- Indian National Plantation Workers Federation
- Indian National Port & Dock Workers Federation
- Indian National Rural Labour Federation
- Indian National Salaried Employees & Professional Workers Federation
- Indian National Suger Mill Workers Federation
- Indian National Textile Workers Federation
- Indian National Transport Workers Federation
- National Federation of Indian Railwaymen
- National Federation of Petroleum Workers
- National Federation of Telecommunication Organizations
- MCF Workers' Union
- Nangal Bakra Mazdoor Sangh×−
- Visakha Steel Employees' Congress
- All india vyapari vyavasayi congress