|Single by Tim McGraw|
|from the album Not a Moment Too Soon|
|Released||January 22, 1994|
Jumpin' Gene Simmons
John D. Loudermilk
|Tim McGraw singles chronology|
"Indian Outlaw" is the title of a song written by Tommy Barnes, Jumpin' Gene Simmons and John D. Loudermilk, and performed by American country music artist Tim McGraw. It was released in January 1994 as the first single from his album Not a Moment Too Soon. It was his first Top 40 country hit, and his fourth single overall. It peaked at #8 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks charts, and #15 on the Billboard Hot 100.
The song is an up-tempo set in minor key, backed by tom-tom drums and fiddle. The narrator describes himself as a rebellious American Indian character, "Half Cherokee and Choctaw". He describes, among other things, his pursuit of a Chippewa lover.
A dance remix of the single was also made. This remix appears on McGraw's 2010 album Number One Hits. The song was considered controversial at the time, due to its stereotypical portrayal of Native Americans; as a result, some radio stations refused to play it.
Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably, calling it an "incredible single" and saying that it is "positively stuffed with lyrical and musical Native American cliches, from tomtoms to wigwams to peace pipes." She goes on to say that if the song becomes a hit, "it'll set relations back 200 years." Billboard magazine in their review of the album, said that the song is "either one of the catchiest or one of the stupidest songs ever written."
There were two versions of the video released. One was for the original version of the song, and the other was for an extended dance mix. Both were directed by Sherman Halsey, who also directed most of McGraw's subsequent videos and it shows Tim McGraw riding his motorcycle with a female friend.
US Vinyl, 7"
- A Indian Outlaw (Radio Mix) 2:59
- B Don't Take The Girl 4:09
- Indian Outlaw (European Version) 2:59
- Indian Outlaw (American Version) 2:59
- Indian Outlaw (Dance Version) 4:19
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||24|
|US Billboard Hot 100||15|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||8|
End of year charts
|End of year chart (1994)||Position|
|US Billboard Hot 100||90|
- http://www.ihesm.com/Loudermilk2.html Songs written by John D. Loudermilk
- CMT.com : Shows : Controversy : "Indian Outlaw" : About the Episode
- CMT.com : Political Controversies Found Wynette and McGraw
- Gerome, John (April 13, 2007). "Growing Strong - Cyrus' reach encompasses country music, more". San Angelo Standard Times. Archived from the original on 2007-04-26. Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- Billboard, February 5, 1994
- Billboard, April 16, 1994
- "RPM Country Tracks." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. April 25, 1994. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "Tim McGraw Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Tim McGraw.
- "Tim McGraw Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Tim McGraw.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1994". Retrieved 2010-08-27.