Indian Railway Institute of Signal Engineering and Telecommunications
|Indian Railway Institute of Signal Engineering and Telecommunications|
|Location||Secunderabad, Hyderabad, India|
The Indian Railway Institute of Signal Engineering and Telecommunications (Hindi: भारतीय रेल सिगनल और दूरसंचार संस्थान ) is an Institute based on Signal Engineering and Telecommunications. Located in Secunderabad, this institute is run by the Ministry of Railways (India), Indian Railways in 1957 as a subsidy of Indian Railways.
It caters to the specialized training needs of the Indian Railways' superwisors and officers in Railway Signalling and Telecommunication. It also trains officials of Foreign Railways.
In the first year of its existence it was concerned only with imparting training to Apprentices JE( junior engineers) Signal and Apprentice JE (junior engineers) Telecommunication, but subsequently, in view of the rapid developments in the field of Signaling and Telecommunication, several specialised technical training needs of Officers and Staff of Signal and Telecommunication Department in Signal Engineering, Telecommunications Technology, Electronics and Information Technology Training have also been introduced. Facilities available in this Institute are also extended to foreign nationals.
The IRISET is one of six Centralised Training Institutes that share the task of training of officers. The other Centralised Training Institutes are:
- Indian Railway Institute of Civil Engineering, Pune for civil engineers,
- Indian Railway Institute of Signal and Telecommunications Engineering, Secunderabad for engineers of S&T department,
- Indian Railway Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering & Jamalpur Gymkhana, Jamalpur for mechanical engineers
- Indian Railway Institute of Electrical Engineering, Nasik for Electrical Engineers,
- RPF Academy Lucknow, for officers of Railway Protection Force and
- As the alma mater the Railway Staff College, Vadodara functions as the apex training institute for the officers of all departments in general and Accounts, Personnel, Stores, Traffic and Medical departments in particular.