Indian Rare Earths
|Industry||Rare Earth Research|
|Founded||August 18, 1950|
|Key people||K.P. Srinivasan, Chairman|
|Revenue||390.2403 crore (US$60 million) (2008-2009)|
|Net income||389.40 crore (US$60 million) (2008-2009)|
Indian Rare Earths Limited (IREL) is a government-owned corporation in India based in Mumbai. It was incorporated as a private limited company and jointly owned by the Government of India and Government of Travancore Cochin. Government of India took control of IREL in 1963 under the administrative control of Department of Atomic Energy (DAE). It was incorporated with the primary intention of taking up commercial scale processing of monazite sand at its first unit namely Rare Earths Division(RED), Aluva, Kerala for the recovery of thorium.
IREL commissioned its largest division called Orissa Sand Complex(OSCOM) at Chhatrapur, Orissa. Today IREL operates these four units with corporate office in Mumbai and produces/sells six heavy minerals namely ilmenite, rutile, zircon, monazite, sillimanite, and garnet as well as various value added products.
Corporate Research Centre is located at Kollam, Kerala and carries out research in the field of value added products from beach sand minerals, undertakes consultancy projects on mineral separation and flow sheet development, carrying out mineral analysis and caters to the needs of internal and external customers.
- "Department of Atomic Energy: Milestones". Barc.ernet.in. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "Indian Rare Earth unit's plan". The Hindu Business Line. 2004-11-13. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "About Us". Irel.gov.in. 1950-08-18. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- DAE. "Indian Rare Earths Limited". Dae.gov.in. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "Other States / Orissa News : Drinking water projects inaugurated in three villages". The Hindu. 2010-05-21. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- Toyota negotiating with Orissa Sands Complex (OSCOM) for setting up a rare earth chloride plant near Chhatrapur
- "In 1986x, Indian Rare Earth Ltd" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- [dead link]
- "Indian Rare Earths Limited - About Us". Irel.gov.in. Retrieved 2010-07-10.