Indian Rupee (film)
|Directed by||Ranjith Balakrishnan|
|Produced by||Shaji Nadesan
|Written by||Ranjith Balakrishnan|
|Music by||Shahabaz Aman|
|Edited by||Vijay Shankar|
|Distributed by||August Films|
Indian Rupee is a 2011 Indian satirical film written and directed by Ranjith Balakrishnan, and produced by August Cinema. The film stars Prithviraj Sukumaran, Thilakan, Tini Tom and Jagathy Sreekumar in significant roles.
The film released on 6 October 2011, to highly positive response from critics and audiences alike. It received numerous accolades including National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam and Kerala State Film Award for Best Film .
Indian Rupee is a satirical dig on contemporary youth who attempt to make quick money without sweating it out. Jayaprakash or JP (Prithviraj Sukumaran) is a small time real estate dealer based in Calicut, who dreams of making it big some day. JP is a school drop-out and in love with his cousin Beena (Rima Kallingal) who is a doctor, though her parents are not too keen about the marriage. JP along with his partner CH (Tini Tom) is scouting for a land deal. He is working under a senior agent Rayeen (Mamukoya) but wishes to break free as soon as possible. He believes that his fortunes are up for a change, when Achutha Menon (Thilakan), an old city dweller approaches him to sell off his land assets. The deal never happens, but Achutha Menon stays back with them and becomes a part of their life. Things start happening in a fantastic way for JP, soon after. JP manages to earn a decent fortune after some smart moves, but he learns some valuable lessons in the process, about the importance of earning money honestly in life.
- Prithviraj Sukumaran as Jayaprakash or JP
- Thilakan as Achutha Menon
- Rima Kallingal as Beena
- Tini Tom as C Hameed or CH
- Jagathy Sreekumar as "Gold" Pappan
- Lalu Alex as Surendran
- Kalpana as Mary
- Revathi as Dr. Sheela Koshy
- Mamukkoya as Rayeen
- Biju Pappan as Joy
- Mallika as Saji (Jayaprakash's sister)
- Zeenath as Jayaprakash's mother
- Babu Namboothiri (cameo)
- Joju George
- Shammi Thilakan
- T. P. Madhavan
- Sasi Eranjikkal
- Sasi Kalinga
- Asif Ali as a land broker (cameo)
- Fahadh Faasil as Muneer, a land broker (cameo)
|Soundtrack album by Shahabaz Aman|
|Released||23 August 2011|
|1||"Pokayayi"||G Venugopal, Asha G Menon||VR Santhosh||3:36|
|2||"Anthimanam"||MG Sreekumar, Sujatha Mohan||VR Santhosh||4:10|
|3||"Ee Puzhayum"||Vijay Yesudas||Mullanezhi||4:40|
|3||"Ee Puzhayum" (unplugged)||Vijay Yesudas||Mullanezhi||4:24|
Rediff.com observed – "Indian Rupee should be seen by people who think that good stories have vanished from films. Ranjith has just told the story of contemporary Kerala society in a most interesting way."
Nowrunning.com commented: "The details are downright gripping, the asides sparkling and the setups almost surreal, so much so that Indian Rupee hops straight into the year's must-see movies list and scrambles right up to the top". the site added that it is as easily one of the best performances from Prithviraj, and says that "Indian Rupee would as much be remembered for Prithviraj the actor, as the actor would be remembered for the film."
Sify.com wrote -"Though it is a bit too melodramatic and even preachy at times, Indian Rupee is easily one of the finest films of the year. It has honesty written all over it and such efforts need to be seen and appreciated by the audience."
- National Film Awards (2011)
- Kerala State Film Awardss (2011)
- Best Supporting Actor - Malayalam - Thilakan
- Best Playback Singer (Male) - Malayalam - "Ee Puzhayum" - Vijay Yesudas
- "Indian Rupee Review". Sify.com. 7 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Indian Rupee review: A movie sans drama". Deccanchronicle. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- "Indian Rupee Review". Nowrunning.com. 7 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Indian Rupee". Sify Moviebuzz.
- "നക്ഷത്രങ്ങള് മണ്ണിലിറങ്ങി; ഉത്സവമായി ഏഷ്യാനെറ്റ് അവാര്ഡ് നിശ". (in Malayalam). Mathrubhumi. 8 January 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2012.