Indian Rupee (film)
|Directed by||Ranjith Balakrishnan|
|Produced by||Shaji Nadeshan
|Music by||Shahabaz Aman|
|Editing by||Vijay Shankar|
|Distributed by||August Films|
|Running time||155 minutes|
Indian Rupee is a 2011 Indian satirical film written and directed by Ranjith Balakrishnan, and produced by Shaji Nadeshan, Prithviraj and Santhosh Sivan. The film stars Prithviraj Sukumaran, Thilakan, Tini Tom and Jagathy Sreekumar in pivotal roles. The film released on October 6, 2011, to highly positive response from critics and audiences alike. Indian Rupee received numerous accolades including National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam and Kerala State Film Award for Best Film.
Indian Rupee is a satirical dig on today's youth who attempt to make quick money without sweating it out. JP aka Jayaprakash (Prithviraj) is a small time real estate dealer based in Kozhikode, who dreams of making it big some day. JP is a high school drop-out and in love with his cousin Beena (Rima Kallingal) who is a doctor, though her parents are not too keen about the alliance. JP along with his friend CH (Tini Tom) is scouting for a land deal. He is working under a senior agent Rayeen(Mamukoya) but wishes to break free as soon as possible. He believes that his fortunes are up for a change, when Achutha Menon (Thilakan), an old city dweller approaches him to sell off his land assets. The deal never happens, but Achutha Menon stays back with them and becomes a part of their life. Things start happening in a fantastic way for JP, soon after. JP manages to earn a decent fortune after some smart moves, but he learns some valuable lessons in the process, about the importance of earning money honestly in life.
- Prithviraj as Jayaprakash aka J.P.
- Thilakan as Achutha Menon
- Rima Kallingal as Beena
- Tini Tom as Hameed aka C.H.
- Jagathy Sreekumar as Gold Pappan
- Lalu Alex as Surendran
- T. P. Madhavan
- Sasi Eranjikkal as Ganesan
- Kalpana as Mary
- Revathi as Dr. Sheela Koshy
- Mamukkoya as Rayeen
- Mallika as Saji (Jayaprakash's sister)
- Zeenath as Jayaprakash's mother
- Babu Namboothiri (cameo)
- Joju George
- Shammi Thilakan
- Sasi Kalinga
- Asif Ali as a land broker (cameo)
- Fahadh Faasil as Muneer, a land broker (cameo)
|Soundtrack album by Shahabaz Aman|
|Released||23 August 2011|
The film's soundtrack is composed by Shahabaz Aman. The audio release function was held at Puliyarmala Krishna Gowdar hall, Kalpatta, Wayanad on 23 August 2011.
|1||"Pokayaayi"||G. Venugopal, Asha G. Menon||V.R. Santhosh||3:36|
|2||"Anthimaanam"||M. G. Sreekumar, Sujatha||V.R. Santhosh||4:10|
|3||"Ee Puzhayum"||Vijay Yesudas||Mullanezhy||4:40|
|3||"Ee Puzhayum" unplugged edition||Vijay Yesudas||Mullanezhy||4:24|
Rediff.com observed – "Indian Rupee should be seen by people who think that good stories have vanished from films. Ranjith has just told the story of contemporary Kerala society in a most interesting way."
Nowrunning.com commented: "The details are downright gripping, the asides sparkling and the setups almost surreal, so much so that Indian Rupee hops straight into the year's must-see movies list and scrambles right up to the top". the site added that it is as easily one of the best performances from Prithviraj, and says that "Indian Rupee would as much be remembered for Prithviraj the actor, as the actor would be remembered for the film."
Sify.com wrote -"Though it is a bit too melodramatic and even preachy at times, Indian Rupee is easily one of the finest films of the year. It has honesty written all over it and such efforts need to be seen and appreciated by the audience."
- Reporter Film Awards
- Best Supporting Actor – Thilakan
- Best Original Song – "Ee Puzhayum"
- Best Film
- Best Actor – Prithviraj
- Padmarajan Award
- Best Film 
- The Kochi Times Film Awards 2011- Best Film.
- "Indian Rupee Review". Sify.com. 7 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Indian Rupee review: A movie sans drama". Deccanchronicle. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- "Indian Rupee Review". Nowrunning.com. 7 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Indian Rupee". Sify Moviebuzz.
- "Reporter Film Awards 2011".
- "Vayalar Ramavarma Chalachitra Television Award 2011". Yentha.com. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- "Vayalar Rama Varma Awards announced. Chalachithra Ratna Award for Thilakan and Best Actor for Prithviraj,". kottaka.com. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- "നക്ഷത്രങ്ങള് മണ്ണിലിറങ്ങി; ഉത്സവമായി ഏഷ്യാനെറ്റ് അവാര്ഡ് നിശ". (in Malayalam). Mathrubhumi. 8 January 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- "Indian Rupee and P Surendran gets Padmarajan awards". www.mathrubhumi.com. Retrieved 19 Apr 2012.