Indian Summer (Brooks & Dunn song)
|Single by Brooks & Dunn|
|from the album #1s… and Then Some|
|Released||May 25, 2009|
|Producer(s)||Kix Brooks, Ronnie Dunn|
|Brooks & Dunn singles chronology|
"Indian Summer" is the title of a song by the American country music duo Brooks & Dunn. It was written by the duo's members, Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn, along with Bob DiPiero. As Brooks & Dunn's forty-ninth single, it was released in May 2009 also the lead-off single to the duo's third greatest hits album #1s… and Then Some, released on September 8, 2009 via Arista Nashville.
The song is a mid-tempo ballad describing a couple who fall in love during an Indian summer: a star football player and a cheerleader whom he meets. They fall in love, but are separated by autumn. The girl becomes pregnant and does not want to suffer the prejudices of small-town morals (which would look down on an unmarried, single mother) and therefore decides to escape to California. The song is predominantly sung in the third person, but the final verse reveals the narrator to be the football player in the song ("I wonder where we'd be / If I'd never scored that last touchdown").
Jim Malec of The 9513 gave the song a thumbs-down rating. Although his review makes note of the song's "ominous tone" and the "genuine longing" in Dunn's voice, he also goes on to say that he considers the lyrics uninspired as they do not flesh out any specifics on either character involved in the storyline.
The video was released on July 24, 2009 on Country Music Television. It was directed by Shaun Silva. It was filmed in Chowchilla California, in the local high school, home of the Chowchilla Union High School Redskins. The video was voted in #49 On GAC's Top 50 Videos of the Year list.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||16|
|US Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100||1|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||74|
- Malec, Jim (2009-05-21). "Brooks & Dunn - "Indian Summer"". The 9513. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "Brooks & Dunn - "Indian Summer" music video". CMT. Retrieved 2009-07-24.
- "Chart listing for "Indian Summer"". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-05-28.[dead link]
- "Brooks & Dunn Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Brooks & Dunn.
- Whitburn, Joel (2011). Top Pop Singles 1955–2010. Record Research, Inc. p. 115. ISBN 0-89820-188-8.
- "Brooks & Dunn Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Brooks & Dunn.