Indiana State Road 121
|Maintained by INDOT|
|Length:||19.52 mi (31.41 km)|
|South end:||US 52|
|North end:||SR 44 in Connersville|
|South end:||US 27 / SR 227 in Richmond|
|North end:||SR 121|
|Counties:||Fayette, Franklin, Wayne|
State Road 121 (SR 121) is a part of the Indiana State Road that exists in two sections. The first runs between Metamora and Connersville and the second from Richmond to the Ohio state line in US state of Indiana. The 19.52 miles (31.41 km) of SR 121 that lie within Indiana serve as a minor highway. None of the highway is listed on the National Highway System. The entire route is rural two-lane highway that passes through farmland, residential and commercial properties.
No segment of State Road 121 in Indiana is included in the National Highway System (NHS). The NHS is a network of highways that are identified as being most important for the economy, mobility and defense of the nation. The highway is maintained by the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) like all other state roads in the state. The department tracks the traffic volumes along all state roads as a part of its maintenance responsibilities using a metric called average annual daily traffic (AADT). This measurement is a calculation of the traffic level along a segment of roadway for any average day of the year. In 2010, INDOT figured that lowest traffic levels were 1,170 vehicles and 40 commercial vehicles used the highway daily at the Franklin–Fayette County line. The peak traffic volumes were 9,470 vehicles and 260 commercial vehicles AADT along the section of SR 121 that is concurrent with SR 227, on North J Street in Richmond.
The southern segment of SR 121 begins at US 52 and heads north as a rural two-lane curvy highway. The highway passes through most farmland and enters the town of Laurel, making a few sharp curves. The route passes through residential properties through town and makes another set of sharp curves leaving town. The highway heads northeast towards Connersville, on the way passing through farmland. The route enters Connersville from the southwest concurrent with Grand Avenue. The highway passes through residential and commercial properties, before ending at SR 44.
The northern segment of SR 121 begins at an intersection between US 27 and SR 227, just north of downtown Richmond. SR 121 heads east concurrent with SR 227, on North J Street. The tow state roads leaves J Street for Middleboro Pike and heads northeast. The concurrent with SR 227 ends when SR 121 turns east onto New Paris Pike. The highway heads mostly east towards New Paris, Ohio and crosses over Interstate 70 on the way. SR 121 ends at the Ohio state line and becomes Ohio State Route 121.
The southern segment of SR 121 was first signed as State Road 1.
|Franklin||Laurel Township||0.00||0.00||US 52 – Rushville, Brookville||Southern terminus of SR 121|
|Fayette||Connersville||15.31||24.64||SR 44 – Rushville, Liberty||Northern terminus of the southern section of SR 121|
|Gap in route|
|Wayne||Richmond||15.31||24.64||US 27 / SR 227 south – Richmond, Winchester, Cincinnati||Southern terminus of the southern section of SR 121; Western end of SR 227 concurrency|
|15.74||25.33||SR 227 north – Union City||Eastern end of SR 227 concurrncy|
|Wayne Township||19.52||31.41||SR 121 north – New Paris, Greenville||Northern terminus of SR 121|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Staff (2004). "Reference Post Book" (PDF). Indianapolis: Indiana Department of Transportation. S-121. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- Federal Highway Administration (December 2003) (PDF). National Highway System: Indiana (Map). http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/nhs_maps/indiana/in_indiana.pdf. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- Natzke, Stefan; Neathery, Mike; Adderly, Kevin (September 26, 2012). "What is the National Highway System?". National Highway System. Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- Staff (2010). "Indiana Traffic Counts". Indianapolis: Indiana Department of Transportation. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- Google, Inc. "Indiana State Road 121". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=IN-121+N&daddr=N+Grand+Ave&hl=en&ll=39.520463,-85.170822&spn=0.31145,0.572662&sll=39.639719,-85.141693&sspn=0.004858,0.008948&geocode=FXj5WQIdwDrs-g%3BFczbXAIdCdXs-g&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&z=11. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- Indiana Department of Transportation (2012) (PDF). Indiana Transportation Map (Map). Cartography by INDOT (2011–2012 ed.). Section J10 & H10. http://www.in.gov/indot/files/StateTransportationMap.pdf.
- Google, Inc. "Indiana State Road 121". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N+J+St&daddr=IN-121+N%2FNew+Paris+Pike&hl=en&ll=39.851116,-84.817886&spn=0.019373,0.035791&sll=39.852401,-84.820204&sspn=0.019372,0.035791&geocode=FWLrXwIdWLLw-g%3BFdgQYAIdQNjx-g&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=15&t=m&z=15. Retrieved November 16, 2012.