Indiana State Road 3
|Maintained by INDOT|
|Length:||223.51 mi (359.70 km)|
|Length:||178.75 mi (287.67 km)|
|South end:||SR 62 in Charlestown|
US 52 in Rushville
I-70 near Spiceland
US 36 in Mount Summit
US 35 in Muncie
|North end:||US 224 in Markle|
|Length:||44.76 mi (72.03 km)|
|South end:||I-69 / US 24 / US 27 / US 30 in Fort Wayne|
| US 6 in Kendallville
|North end:||SR 120 near Brighton|
|Counties:||Clark, Scott, Jennings, Decatur, Rush, Henry, Delaware, Blackford, Wells, Huntington, Allen, DeKalb, Noble, LaGrange|
State Road 3 (SR 3) in the U.S. State of Indiana is a discontinuous state road running through east central Indiana from near the Michigan state line to near the Ohio River. The southernmost terminus is at State Road 62 in Charlestown, and the northernmost terminus is at State Road 120 near Brighton.
The route was continuous until 1972, when the route was split into two segments that exist today.
SR 3 begins just south of Charlestown at SR 62 and heads north toward downtown Charlestown. When in downtown Charlestown SR 3 has an intersection with State Road 403 (SR 403). SR 3 heads north out of Charlestown. Then 17.17 miles (27.63 km) north of SR 403 there is a wrong-way concurrency with State Road 203 (SR 203) for 1.85 miles (2.98 km), meaning southbound SR 203 and northbound SR 3 are going the same direction. After SR 203, SR 3 heads north toward Vernon and then North Vernon. In North Vernon SR 3 has an intersection with U.S. Route 50 (US 50). After North Vernon SR 3 heads mainly due north for 22.52 miles (36.24 km) until State Road 46 (SR 46) just west of Greensburg. SR 3 joins SR 46 on a four-lane divided highway and then enters Greensburg from the southwest. After entering Greensburg SR 46 leaves SR 3 at Main Street. In downtown Greensburg SR 3 has an intersection with U.S. Route 421 (US 421).
After US 421, SR 3 leaves Greensburg heading northeast, then just north. SR 3 has an interchange with Interstate 74 (I-74), 1.53 miles (2.46 km) from US 421. After I-74, SR 3 becomes a two-lane undivided highway. SR 3 has a concurrency with U.S. Route 52 (US 52) that lasts for 0.42 miles (0.68 km) in Rushville. SR 3 heads due north toward U.S. Route 40 (US 40) and then SR 3 heads east on US 40 for a short concurrency after 0.07 miles (0.11 km). After US 40, SR 3 has an interchange with interstate 70 (I-70), exit number 123 on I-70. Just south of I-70 SR 3 becomes a four-lane divided highway. After I-70, SR 3 passes near New Castle. SR 3 and U.S. Route 36 (US 36) have an interchange near Mount Summit. After US 36, SR 3 head north toward Muncie, where SR 3 has an interchange with State Road 67 (SR 67).
At the interchange with SR 67, SR 3 heads east, then north along the bypass. Interchange includes U.S. Route 35 (US 35) south, State Road 32 (SR 32), and SR 67 north. The bypass is a limited-access highway.
North of the Muncie Bypass, US 35 leaves SR 3 due west to Kokomo. After US 35, SR 3 heads due north to Markle. Passing though Hartford City, where SR meets State Road 26 (SR 26). South of Markle SR 3 turns northeast, then SR 3 meets State Road 116 (SR 116). Then 0.46 miles (0.74 km) after SR 116, SR 3 comes to its northern terminus of the southern section of SR 3, at U.S. Route 224 (US 224).
The southern terminus of the northern section of SR 3 begins at Interstate 69 (I-69) and the northern terminus of U.S. Route 27 (US 27). The road heads North from this point, as a six–lane major arterial passing through both commercial and residenteal areas. North of Dupont Road, on the northside of Fort Wayne, the road becomes a rural four–lane divided highway. North of Fort Wayne, the route bypasses Huntertown, 8.20 miles (13.20 km) north of I-69. The road then enters Dekalb County with and traffic light at State Road 205 (SR 205). Very soon after SR 205, the road enters Noble County, bypassing LaOtto and Avilla. In Noble County, the route passes through rural farming land and parallels an abandoned railroad track on its way to Kendallville. In Kendallville the route has a short concurrency with US 6. After the US 6 concurrency SR 3, becomes a two–lane rural highway heading due North, until Mongo where the road turns northwest. Entering into Brighton, SR 3 reaches its northern terminus at SR 120.
Until 1972, SR 3 went through Fort Wayne. But with the completion of I-69, the section that went through Fort Wayne was turned back.
In 1990, the four-lane upgrade from the DeKalb/Allen County line north of Huntertown to Kendallville was completed, bypassing the towns of LaOtto and Avilla. This made Indiana 3 four lanes for the 25 miles (40 km) from I-69 in Fort Wayne to US 6 in Kendallville.
In early 2010, construction began on SR 3 widening for about 3 miles (4.8 km) from Ludwig Road in Fort Wayne to Dupont Road on the northside of Fort Wayne. This section of highway was widened from four lane divided roadway to six lane divided highway and was completed in November 2011.
||Charlestown||0.00||0.00||SR 62 – Jeffersonville, New Washington||Southern terminus of SR 3|
|1.12||1.80||SR 403 south – Sellersburg||Northern terminus of SR 403|
|Washington Township||11.42||18.38||SR 203 north||Southern terminus of SR 203|
||Lexington Township||12.12||19.51||SR 362||Western terminus of SR 362.|
|18.29||29.43||SR 56 west / SR 203 north – Scottsburg||Western end of SR 56 and SR 203 concurrencies; Wrong-way concurrency with SR 203.|
|20.14||32.41||SR 203 south||Eastern end of SR 203 concurrency|
|21.31||34.30||SR 56 east – Hanover||Eastern end of SR 56 concurrency|
||Graham Township||23.45||37.74||SR 256 – Madison|
||Paris Crossing||29.67||47.75||SR 250 east||Southern end of SR 250 concurrency|
|29.90||48.12||SR 250 west||Northern end of SR 250 concurrency|
|Vernon||41.03||66.03||SR 7 south – Madison||Southern end of SR 7 concurrency|
|North Vernon||43.20||69.52||US 50 – Seymour, Lawrenceburg|
|44.20||71.13||SR 7 north – Columbus|
||Clay Township||66.72||107.38||SR 46 west – Columbus||Southern end of SR 46 concurrency|
|Greensburg||70.08||112.78||SR 46 east (W. Main Street) – Greensburg||Northern end of SR 46 concurrency|
|71.67||115.34||US 421 (Michigan Avenue) – Indianapolis, Greensburg|
|73.20||117.80||I-74 – Indianapolis, Cincinnati||Cloverleaf interchange|
|Rushville||90.43||145.53||US 52 east||Southern end of US 52 concurrency|
|90.82||146.16||SR 44 west (1st Street)||Southern end of 44 concurrency|
|90.85||146.21||US 52 west / SR 44 east (2nd Street)||Northern end of US 52 and SR 44 concurrency|
||Dunreith||104.40||168.02||US 40 west – Knightstown, Greenfield||Western end of US 40 concurrency|
|104.47||168.13||US 40 east – Cambridge City, Richmond||Eastern end of US 40 concurrency|
|Dunreith||I-70 – Indianapolis, Richmond||Exit 123 on I-70|
|New Castle||114.83||184.80||SR 38 (Broad Street) – Pendleton, New Castle|
|Mount Summit||119.95||193.04||US 36 – Pendleton, Losantville|
||Muncie||129.84||208.96||130||SR 67 south – Pendleton||Southern end of SR 67 concurrency; SR 3 enters the Muncie Bypass|
|131.14||211.05||41||US 35 south -Ohio|
|43||East Memorial Drive|
|44||SR 32 (East Jackson Street) – Muncie, Winchester|
|47||SR 67 north (Frontage Road) – Albany||Northern end of SR 67 concurrency; Muncie Bypass Ends|
|140.15||225.55||US 35 north / SR 28||Northern end of US 35 concurrency|
||Hartford City||152.22||244.97||SR 26 (Washington Street) – Upland, Portland|
|Harrison Township||159.16||256.14||SR 18 – Marion, Montpelier|
||Jackson Township||166.17||267.42||SR 218 – Warren, Berne|
||Salamonie Township||172.19||277.11||SR 124 – Peru, Bluffton|
|Markle||178.39||287.09||SR 116 – Bluffton|
|178.75||287.67||US 224 – Huntington, Decatur||Northern end of southern section|
|Gap in route|
||Fort Wayne||178.75||287.67||I-69 / US 24 / US 30 south / US 27 – Indianapolis, Lansing||Southern terminus of northern section of SR 3 and Northern terminus of US 27|
||Laotto||190.68||306.87||SR 205 – Churubusco, Garrett|
||Avilla||195.90||315.27||SR 8 east (East Albion Street/CR 100 North) – Auburn||Southern end of SR 8 concurrency|
|198.59||319.60||SR 8 west (CR 300 North) – Albion||Northern end of SR 8 concurrency|
|Kendallville||203.17||326.97||US 6 (West North Street) – Ligonier, Nappanee||Western end of US 6 concurrency|
|203.80||327.98||US 6 (East North Street) – Kendallville, Waterloo||Eastern end of US 6 concurrency|
||217.14||349.45||US 20 – Elkhart, Angola|
|Brighton||223.51||359.70||SR 120 – Elkhart, Fremont||Northern terminus of SR 3|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "INDOT Roadway Referencing System" (PDF). Retrieved June 4, 2008.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – overview map of SR 3 from Charlestown to Greensburg (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Market+St&daddr=IN-3+S&hl=en&geocode=FeCMSgId6u_k-g%3BFbZmWAIdUGbn-g&mra=prev&sll=39.34067,-85.495605&sspn=0.139134,0.308647&ie=UTF8&ll=39.373322,-85.404625&spn=0.139069,0.308647&z=12. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- Yahoo! Inc. Yahoo! Maps – overview map of SR 3 from Greensburg to Muncie (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=40.171579&lon=-85.378114&zoom=12&q1=39.348819%2C-85.498964&q2=40.148489%2C-85.366957. Retrieved 2010-12-27.
- Yahoo! Inc. Yahoo! Maps – overview map of SR 3 Muncie Bypass (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=40.19112&lon=-85.327989&zoom=15&q1=40.148489%2C-85.366957&q2=40.249252%2C-85.367643. Retrieved 2010-12-27.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – overview map of SR 3 from Muncie to Markle (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=IN-3+N%2FUS-35+N%2FN+Co+Rd+100+E&daddr=N+Clark+St&hl=en&geocode=FUMiZgIdA2bp-g%3BFe0AbwId-eHp-g&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=16&sll=40.829252,-85.331047&sspn=0.007469,0.02105&ie=UTF8&ll=40.824787,-85.313129&spn=0.029877,0.0842&z=14. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – overview map of SR 3 from Fort Wayne to Brighton (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Lima+Rd&daddr=IN-3+N&hl=en&geocode=FcaZcwIdMJTs-g%3BFYagfAIdjkHq-g&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=13&sll=41.719952,-85.272102&sspn=0.058939,0.1684&ie=UTF8&ll=41.093325,-85.02903&spn=0.119021,0.3368&z=12. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- Indiana Highway Ends Map of SR 3 in Jeffersonville
- "U.S. 6, Ind. 3: Kendallville's routes to growth". The News-Sun. Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- "Lima Road done, Governor on hand to mark wrap-up of widening project". The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette. November 03, 2011. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- "Governor Daniels Cuts Ribbon for $26 Million Major Moves SR 3/Lima Road Project". Indiana Department of Transportation. November 07, 2011. Retrieved December 2, 2011.