Indiana State Road 51
|Adam Benjamin Highway|
|Maintained by INDOT|
|Length:||9.56 mi (15.39 km)|
|South end:||US 30 east of Merrillville|
| US 6 in Hobart
I-80 / I-94 / US 6 in Lake Station
|North end:||US 20 in Gary|
State Road 51 in the U.S. State of Indiana is a north–south route on the state highway system in northwest Indiana. It consists of a route 9.56 miles (15.39 km) long from a point on U.S. Route 30 (Lincoln Highway) 4 miles (6.4 km) east of Merrillville and 8 miles (13 km) west of Valparaiso, north to U.S. Route 20 in Gary. Immediately north of US 30, the highway is signed as the Adam Benjamin Highway.
SR 51 travels north on Lake Park Avenue from US 30, crossing Old Lincoln Highway and the mainline of the Canadian National Railway in the former town of Ainsworth before turning east on 10th Street in Hobart. Turning north on Lincoln Street, SR 51 merges into Main Street before turning east again on 3rd Street in the downtown business district. The highway follows 3rd Street to its end, turning north on Illinois Street and crossing the Chicago, Fort Wayne and Eastern Railroad's former Conrail line before turning east on Lillian Street. Heading north on Indiana Street, SR 51 turns east on Cleveland Avenue, leading to the beginning of concurrency with SR 130. Following SR 130 north, SR 51 reaches US 6. At this point, SR 130 ends and US 6 turns north to run in concurrency with SR 51 to the junction with Interstate 80/Interstate 94 in Lake Station. The concurrency with US 6 ends here and SR 51 continues north a short distance to its northern terminus at US 20.
No segment of State Road 51 in Indiana that is included in the National Highway System (NHS). The NHS is a network of highways that are identified as being most important for the economy, mobility and defense of the nation. The highway is maintained by the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) like all other state roads in the state. The department tracks the traffic volumes along all state roads as a part of its maintenance responsibilities using a metric called average annual daily traffic (AADT). This measurement is a calculation of the traffic level along a segment of roadway for any average day of the year. In 2010, INDOT figured that lowest traffic levels were 6,630 vehicles and 136 commercial vehicles used the highway daily between Main Street and Cleveland Avenue, in Hobart. The peak traffic volumes were 28,916 vehicles and 1,112 commercial vehicles AADT along the section of SR 51 between I–80/I–94 and Old Hobart Road.
Between 1918 and 1926, SR 51 went from SR 2 in Elkhart to the Michigan state line, now the route is State Road 19. In 1926, SR 51 was removed from that section of roadway and it was signed as US 112.
The entire route is in Lake County.
|Hobart||0.00||0.00||US 30 – Merrillville, Valparaiso||Southern terminus of SR 51|
|5.49||8.84||SR 130 east – Valparaiso||Southern end of SR 130 concurrency|
|6.49||10.44||US 6 east / SR 130 – Westville||Southern end of US 6 concurrency; Western terminus of SR 130|
|Lake Station||8.76||14.10||I-80 / I-94 / US 6 west – Chicago, Detroit||Northern end of US 6 concurrency|
|9.56||15.39||US 20 – Gary, Michigan City||Northern terminus of SR 51|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Staff. "Memorial Highways and Bridges". Indiana Department of Transportation. Archived from the original on May 15, 2011. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- Staff (2004). "Reference Post Book" (PDF). Indianapolis: Indiana Department of Transportation. S-51. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Google (May 26, 2012). "Overview map of Indiana State Road 51" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved May 26, 2012.
- Indiana Department of Transportation (2012). Indiana Transportation Map (PDF) (Map) (2011–2012 ed.). Indianapolis: Indiana Department of Transportation. Retrieved May 26, 2012.
- Indiana Department of Transportation (2011). Indiana Railroad Map (PDF) (Map). Indianapolis: Indiana Department of Transportation. Retrieved May 26, 2012.
- Federal Highway Administration (December 2003). National Highway System: Indiana (PDF) (Map). Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Natzke, Stefan; Neathery, Mike; Adderly, Kevin (September 26, 2012). "What is the National Highway System?". National Highway System. Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Staff (2010). "Indiana Traffic Counts". Indianapolis: Indiana Department of Transportation. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
- Indiana State Highway Commission (1917). Main Market Highways (Map) (1917 ed.). Indianapolis: Indiana State Highway Commission. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Rand McNally (1926). Road Map of Indiana (Map) (1926 ed.). Rand McNally. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Indiana State Highway Commission (1927). State Highway System of Indiana (PDF) (Map) (1927 ed.). Indianapolis: Indiana State Highway Commission. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Indiana Highway Ends - SR 51
Route map: Bing