Indiana State Road 9
|Maintained by INDOT|
|Length:||196.20 mi (315.75 km)|
|South end:||SR 46 near Columbus|
| I-74 / US 421 in Shelbyville
I-70 in Greenfield
I-69 in Anderson
US 36 in Pendleton
US 35 / SR 22 in Marion
US 24 in Huntington
US 30 in Columbia City
US 20 in LaGrange
I-80 / I-90 / Indiana Toll Road
|North end:||M‑66 near Sturgis, MI|
|Counties:||Bartholomew, Shelby, Hancock, Madison, Grant, Huntington, Whitley County, Indiana, Noble, LaGrange|
State Road 9 in the U.S. State of Indiana is a long north–south state highway in the eastern portion of Indiana. Its southern terminus is near Columbus at State Road 46, and the northern terminus is at the Michigan/Indiana border between Howe, Indiana, and Sturgis, Michigan, where it continues as M-66.
Some of Indiana 9 is divided highway and even freeway, but Interstate 69 largely supplants it as all but a regional route between Huntington and Anderson.
Columbus to Shelbyville
SR 9 heads north from its southern terminus at State Road 46 (SR 46). SR 9 passes through Hope on the way to the eastern terminus of the western section of State Road 252 (SR 252). North of SR 252, SR 9 heads northeast then northwest toward Shelbyville. SR 9 enters Shelbyville from the south and has an intersection with State Road 44 (SR 44).
Shelbyville to Anderson
North of SR 44, SR 9 has a roundabout in downtown Shelbyville. From downtown Shelbyville, SR 9 heads north passing over Interstate 74/U.S. Route 421. SR 9 heads north toward Greenfield, in Greenfield SR 9 has an intersection with U.S. Route 40 and an interchange with Interstate 70. Then SR 9 heads north toward Pendleton. In Pendleton SR 9 has a concurrency with U.S. Route 36 and State Road 67. Then SR 9 enters interstate 69 after enter the I-69, SR 9 exits at the next exit. Then SR 9 heads north toward downtown Anderson.
Anderson to Huntington
SR 9 passes east of downtown Anderson and heads north out of Anderson. SR 9 passes just east of Alexandria, then just north of Alexandria SR 9 has an intersection with State Road 28. Then SR 9 has an intersection with State Road 26, just west of Fairmount. Then SR 9 enters Marion, where SR 9 has an intersection with U.S. Route 35/State Road 22 followed by an intersection with State Road 37. Then just south of downtown Marion SR 9 has a concurrency with State Road 15. In downtown Marion SR 9 and SR 15 has an intersection with State Road 18. Then north of downtown Marion SR 15 turns northwest toward Wabash and SR 9 turns northeast toward Huntington. On the way to Huntington SR 9 passes near Mt. Etna. Then SR 9 enters Huntington on the southwest side of town.
Huntington to Columbia City
SR 9 bypasses Huntington on the west side of town, concurrent with U.S. Route 24. On the northeast side of Huntington US 24 and SR 9 have an intersection with U.S. Route 224 and State Road 5. Then SR 9 leaves the bypass on the north side of Huntington and heads north towards Columbia City, passing through an intersection with State Road 114 and State Road 14. SR 9 enters Columbia City on the south side of town. After it enters Columbia City SR 9 has a concurrency with State Road 205. The concurrency ends in downtown Columbia City at Old U.S. Route 30, where SR 205 turns east.
Columbia City to Michigan
SR 9 heads north out of downtown Columbia City. Before leaving Columbia City SR 9 has an intersection with U.S. Route 30. SR 9 heads north passing through an intersection with U.S. Route 33 and passing near Chain O'Lakes State Park. Then SR 9 enters Albion on the south part of town. In downtown Albion SR 9 has an intersection at the western terminus of State Road 8. SR 9 heads north out of Albion, then SR 9 has a concurrency with U.S. Route 6. It then heads north, passing through Rome City and Wolcottville. In Lagrange, SR 9 has an intersection with U.S. Route 20 and continues north towards the Michigan state line. Before the Michigan state line, SR 9 passes through an intersection with State Road 120 in Howe. Then just south of the Michigan state line, SR 9 has an intersection with the Indiana Toll Road (Interstate 80/Interstate 90). Then SR 9 crosses into Michigan as M-66 heading north toward Sturgis.
Explanation of nickname
The nickname of State Road 9 is Highway of Vice Presidents, from Shelbyville to Columbia City. The reason for the name is that three of Indiana's five Vice Presidents lived in cities along the route:
- Thomas A. Hendricks — Grover Cleveland's Vice President (1885) from Shelbyville
- Thomas R. Marshall — Woodrow Wilson's Vice President (1913–1921) from Columbia City
- J. Danforth Quayle — George H.W. Bush's Vice President (1989–1993) from Huntington
Indiana's other two vice presidents are also honored by the highway nickname:
- Schuyler Colfax — Ulysses S. Grant's Vice President (1869–1873) from South Bend
- Charles W. Fairbanks — Theodore Roosevelt's Vice President (1905–1909) from Indianapolis
|Bartholomew||Columbus||0.00||0.00||SR 46 – Columbus, Greensburg||Southern terminus of SR 9|
|Shelby||Washington Township||16.66||26.81||SR 252 west – Edinburgh||Eastern terminus of SR 252|
|Shelbyville||27.60||44.42||SR 44 west (Colescott Street) – Franklin||Southern end of SR 44 concurrency|
|27.96||45.00||SR 44 east (Broadway Street) – Rushville||Northern end of SR 44 concurrnecy|
|29.93||48.17||I-74 / US 421 – Indianapolis, Cincinnati||Exit number 113 on I-70|
|Van Buren Township||39.81||64.07||US 52 – Indianapolis, Rushville|
|Hancock||Greenfield||46.33||74.56||US 40 – Indianapolis, Richmond|
|48.78||78.50||I-70 – Indianapolis, Dayton|
|Green Township||54.28||87.36||SR 234|
|Madison||Pendleton||60.12||96.75||US 36 west / SR 67 south – Indianapolis||Southern end of US 36 and SR 67 concurrency|
|SR 38 east – New Castle||Southern end of SR 38 concurrency|
|61.79||99.44||US 36 east||Northern end of US 36 concurrency|
|Anderson||64.44||103.71||222||I-69 south – Indianapolis||Southern end of I-69 concurrency; Northern end of SR 38|
|68.25||109.84||226||I-69 north / SR 67 north / SR 109 south||Northern end of I-69 and SR 67 concurrency; Northern terminus of SR 109|
|68.81||110.74||SR 236 east (53rd Street) – Middletown||Western terminus of SR 236|
|70.89||114.09||SR 32 west (Ohio Avenue) / SR 232 east – Anderson||Southern end of SR 32 concurrency; Western terminus of SR 232|
|72.34||116.42||SR 32 east (University Boulevard) – Muncie|
|Richland Township||79.93||128.63||SR 128 west – Frankton||Eastern terminus of SR 128|
|Alexandria||84.13||135.39||SR 28 – Elwood, Albany|
|Grant||Fairmount||94.08||151.41||SR 26 – Kokomo, Fairmount|
|Marion||98.06||157.81||US 35 / SR 22 – Kokomo, Gas City|
|100.28||161.39||SR 37 south – Elwood||Northern terminus of SR 37|
|101.03||162.59||SR 15 south (30th Street) – Gas City||Southern end of SR 15 concurrency|
|SR 18 – Delphi, Montpelier|
|104.66||168.43||SR 15 north (North Wabash Road) – Wabash||Northern end of SR 15 concurrency|
|Huntington||Wayne Township||111.17||178.91||SR 105 north – South Whitley||Southern terminus of SR 105|
|111.96||180.18||SR 218 – La Fontaine, Warren|
|Mount Etna||117.68||189.39||SR 124 – Peru, Bluffton|
|Huntington||127.64||205.42||US 24 west – Wabash||Western end of US 24 concurrency|
|US 224 east / SR 5 (North Jefferson Street / North Goshen Road) – Huntington, South Whitley||Western terminus of US 224|
|131.27||211.26||US 24 east – Fort Wayne||Eastern end of US 24 concurrency|
|Clear Creek Township||138.17||222.36||SR 114 – North Manchester, fort Wayne|
|Whitley||Washington Township||143.21||230.47||SR 14 – South Whitley, Fort Wayne|
|Columbia City||148.39||238.81||SR 205 south (Radio Road) – South Whitley||Southern end of SR 205 concurrency|
|149.12||239.99||SR 205 north (Van Buren Street) – Churubusco||Northern end of SR 205 concurrency|
|149.98||241.37||US 30 – Wabash, Fort Wayne|
|Noble||Noble Township||159.31||256.38||US 33 – Goshen, Fort Wayne|
|Albion||166.97||268.71||SR 8 east – Avilla, Auburn||Western terminus of SR 8|
|Elkhart Township –
|170.93||275.09||US 6 west – Ligonier||Western end of US 6 concurrency|
|Orange Township||174.72||281.18||US 6 east – Kendallville||Eastern end of US 6 concurrency|
|LaGrange||LaGrange||187.97||302.51||US 20 (Central Avenue) – Elkhart, Angola|
|Howe||193.56||311.50||SR 120 (Defiance Street) – Elkhart, Fremont|
|Lima Township||195.86||315.21||I-80 / I-90 / Indiana Toll Road – South Bend, Toledo, Ohio, Chicago||Exit 121 on I-80/I-90|
|196.20||315.75||M‑66 north – Sturgis||Continuation into Michigan|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- staff. "INDOT Roadway Referencing System" (PDF). INDOT. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- Google, Inc. "overview map of SR 9 from Columbus to Shelbyville". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=IN-9+S&daddr=S+Harrison+St&geocode=FbKLVgId1Tnj-g%3BFZjEWgIdqD3j-g&hl=en&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=14&sll=39.512053,-85.75387&sspn=0.030063,0.116901&ie=UTF8&ll=39.427177,-85.66864&spn=0.120398,0.467606&z=12. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Google, Inc. "overview map of SR 9 from Shelbyville to Anderson". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=S+Harrison+St&daddr=East+St%2FS+Scatterfield+Rd&geocode=FasTWwIdhiXj-g%3BFeJOYwId6Arl-g&hl=en&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=14&sll=39.51894,-85.748377&sspn=0.03006,0.0842&ie=UTF8&ll=40.030769,-85.685635&spn=0.059674,0.233803&z=13. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Google, Inc. "overview map of SR 9 from Anderson to Huntington". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=East+St%2FS+Scatterfield+Rd&daddr=40.457397,-85.6724087+to:IN-9+N%2FN+Marion+Rd&geocode=FSQvYwIdzwrl-g%3BFbVUaQIdKL7k-ilriv9ZEvwUiDFB2YU8FuPChA%3BFQO-bwIdm-Pm-g&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=12&via=1&sll=40.497876,-85.603752&sspn=0.118527,0.467606&ie=UTF8&ll=40.872961,-85.508566&spn=0.028167,0.116901&z=14. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Google, Inc. "overview map of SR 9 from Huntington to Columbia City". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=N+Marion+Rd&daddr=S+Main+St&geocode=FdW5bwIdaeHm-g%3BFYkBdAId-ozn-g&hl=en&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=18&sll=41.156633,-85.486706&sspn=0.001834,0.007306&ie=UTF8&ll=41.058709,-85.460672&spn=0.029383,0.116901&z=14. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Google, Inc. "overview map of SR 9 from Columbia City to Michigan". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=N+Main+St&daddr=IN-9+N&geocode=FZwBdAId-ozn-g%3BFcozfQIdmHro-g&hl=en&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=18&sll=41.759288,-85.427193&sspn=0.001817,0.007306&ie=UTF8&ll=41.413896,-85.937805&spn=0.935147,3.740845&z=9. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- "Indiana Highways End - Old SR 9". Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Indiana Highway Ends - Old SR 11". Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "INDOT Memorial Highways and Bridges". Retrieved 2011-02-19.