Indianapolis Regional Airport
|Indianapolis Regional Airport|
|IATA: none – ICAO: KMQJ – FAA LID: MQJ|
|Owner||Indianapolis Airport Authority|
|Location||Greenfield / McCordsville|
|Elevation AMSL||862 ft / 263 m|
Indianapolis Regional Airport (ICAO: KMQJ, FAA LID: MQJ) is a public use airport in Hancock County, Indiana, United States. Owned by Indianapolis Airport Authority, it is 12 nautical miles (22 km) east of the central business district of Indianapolis. The airport is also 7 nautical miles (13 km) northwest of Greenfield and 3 nautical miles (6 km) southwest of McCordsville. It was known as Mount Comfort Airport until March 2011.
This facility is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a general aviation reliever airport for Indianapolis International Airport. Although many U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, Indianapolis Regional Airport is assigned MQJ by the FAA but has no designation from the IATA (which assigned MQJ to Moma Airport in Khonuu, Russia).
The airport is home to the Indianapolis Air Show.
Facilities and aircraft
Indianapolis Regional Airport covers an area of 1,805 acres (730 ha) at an elevation of 862 feet (263 m) above mean sea level. It has two runways: 7/25 with a 5,504 by 100 ft (1,678 by 30 m) asphalt surface and 16/34 with a 3,901 by 75 ft (1,189 by 23 m) concrete surface.
For the 12-month period ending December 31, 2011, the airport had 47,600 aircraft operations, an average of 130 per day: 84% general aviation and 16% air taxi. At that time there were 125 aircraft based at this airport: 86% single-engine, 9% multi-engine, 3% jet, 1% helicopter, and 1% glider.
- FAA Airport Master Record for MQJ ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "Indianapolis Regional Airport". Indianapolis Airport Authority. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- "Distance and heading from Greenfield to KMQJ". Great Circle Mapper. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- "Distance and heading from McCordsville to KMQJ". Great Circle Mapper. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- "Mount Comfort Airport becomes Indianapolis Regional on Friday, March 11, 2011" (PDF) (Press release). Indianapolis Airport Authority. March 9, 2011.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- "Indianapolis Regional (IATA: none, ICAO: KMQJ, FAA: MQJ)". Great Circle Mapper. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (MQJ – City: Khonuu, Airport: Moma)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Indianapolis Air Show
- Indianapolis Regional Airport, official page from Indianapolis Airport Authority
- Indy Jet, the fixed base operator (FBO)
- Aerial photo from Indiana DOT at the Wayback Machine (archived August 15, 2010)
- Aerial image as of March 1998 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for MQJ, effective December 11, 2014
- Resources for this airport: