Indigenous All Stars (rugby league)
The Indigenous Australian rugby league team (also known as the Indigenous All Stars or Indigenous Dreamtime team) is a rugby league football team that represents Indigenous Australians & Torres Strait Islanders. The team was first formed in 1973 and currently plays in an annual All Stars Match against a National Rugby League All Stars team.
An Aboriginal v white Australian rugby reague game was held in Barcaldine in Western Queensland in 1963. These 'Blacks v Whites' games continued annually until 1984.
The side competed in the Pacific Cup in 1990, 1992 and 1994. During this period the team contained New South Wales Rugby League first grade players such as Ricky Walford, Graham Lyons, Ron Gibbs, Darrell Trindall, Paul Davis, Wayne Alberts, George Longbottom and Will Robinson.
In the post-1999 NRL season an Aboriginal side managed by Arthur Beetson defeated the Papua New Guinea Kumuls and the future rugby league Immortal was pushing for an Australia Day match against the Australian national team.
As part of the official opening of the 2008 World Cup on 26 October, the "Dreamtime Team" played a commemorative match against the New Zealand Māori side which the Dreamtime Team won, 34–26. The match was called the "Welcome to the Country match".
Head Coach: Neil Henry ()
|Rhys Wesser||1||8||FB||South Sydney Rabbitohs|
|Justin Carney||1||4||WG||Canberra Raiders|
|Maurice Blair||1||0||CE||Melbourne Storm|
|Jamal Idris||1||0||CE||Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs|
|Ty Williams||1||0||WG||North Queensland Cowboys|
|Jamie Soward||1||10||FE||St George Illawarra Dragons|
|Preston Campbell (captain)||1||0||HB||Gold Coast Titans|
|Carl Webb||1||0||PR||Parramatta Eels|
|Ian Lacey||1||0||HK||Ipswich Jets|
|George Rose||1||0||PR||Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles|
|Daine Laurie||1||0||SR||Penrith Panthers|
|Derrick Watkins||1||0||SR||Brisbane Broncos|
|Dean Widders||1||0||LK||Castleford Tigers|
|Chris Sandow||1||0||HB||South Sydney Rabbitohs|
|Rod Jensen||1||8||UB||Huddersfield Giants|
|Yileen Gordon||1||4||CE||Penrith Panthers|
|Denis Moran||0||0||HB||Narwan Eels|
Preston Campbell, a highly respected aboriginal rugby league player, was a driving force behind the setup, in 2010, of a curtain raising match between the Indigenous All Stars, and the NRL All Stars. The Indigenous All Stars played what seems likely become an annual match against the National Rugby League All Stars on 13 February 2010. The squad was chosen in part by public vote. Aboriginal NRL player Sid Domic's artistic ability led him to be selected from a field of six artists to design the Indigenous side's jersey, as well as Johnathan Thurston's and Jamie Soward's custom headgear, for the annual All Stars matches.
The Indigenous All Stars won the game.
2011 Indigenous All Stars squad
|Indigenous All Stars|
|2011 squad||Did not play||Coaching staff|
Updated: 30 May 2011
2012 Indigenous All Stars squad
|Indigenous All Stars|
|2012 squad||Coaching staff|
2013 Indigenous All Stars squad
|Indigenous All Stars|
|2013 squad||Coaching staff|
Team of the Century (1908–2007)
In 2008 the Australian Rugby League announced the Indigenous Australian rugby league team of the century. When the team was announced the only current players were Greg Inglis (Centre), Johnathan Thurston (Halfback), and Sam Thaiday (Second-row).
- Eric Simms
- Lionel Morgan
- Steve Renouf
- Greg Inglis
- Dale Shearer
- Laurie Daley
- Johnathan Thurston
- Sam Backo
- Mal Cochrane
- Arthur Beetson
- Gordon Tallis
- Sam Thaiday
- Cliff Lyons
- George Green
- Wally McArthur
- Frank Fisher
- John Ferguson
- Australian national rugby league team
- Arthur Beetson - the first and so far only Aboriginal footballer to become a Rugby League Immortal.
- Wally McArthur – the first Aboriginal footballer to play for an English league club.
- AAP (16 October 2009). "Indigenous All Stars by name, and nature". ABC. Retrieved 8 December 2009.
- Malone, Paul (10 October 2008). "Sam Thaiday in Indigenous Dreamtime team for Rugby League World Cup Article f". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 8 December 2009.
- AAP (3 November 2007). "We need to follow footprints of Barcaldine". The Age (Australia: Fairfax Media).
- AAP (18 February 1973). "Aboriginal team wins". The Sydney Morning Herald (Australia: Fairfax Media). Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- Hanna, Jim (16 October 1999). "Artie wants first pick, then a Test against Fittler and Co.". AAP Sports News (Australia: The Gale Group, Inc.). Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- Australian Aboriginals defeat New Zealand Māoris LeagueUnlimited. Retrieved 27 October 2008
- "Aboriginal side too good for Maori". League Unlimited. 26 October 2008. Retrieved 24 November 2009.
- Indigenous Dreamtime team named Official RLWC08 site, 11 October 2008.
- Indigenous All Stars team launched NRL.com, 16 October 2009
- Jodie van de Wetering and Kallee Buchanan (10 February 2010). "All Stars' jerseys emblazoned with Domic's designs". ABC News (Australia: ABC). Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- Greg Inglis was originally selected but withdrew due to injury (replaced by Beau Champion)
- Thurston attained captaincy after Campbell withdrew to injury
- Sam Thaiday was originally selected but withdrew due to injury (replaced by Joel Moon)
- Preston Campbell was originally selected but withdrew due to injury (replaced by Anthony Mitchell)