|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (July 2011)|
|Birth name||Indra Lesmana|
March 28, 1966 |
|Genres||Jazz, Bebop, Hardbop, Modern Jazz, Jazz contemporary, pop,|
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, composer, record producer, arranger, sound engineer|
|Labels||Jackson Records (1983-1988), Union Artis (1989-1996) (Indonesia & Malaysia) BMG Musik Indonesia (1997-2004) & Sony BMG (2005-2007), Inline Music.|
|piano, fender rhodes, mini moog, keyboards, synthesizer, melodica, saxophone|
He was introduced to jazz music by his father, Jack Lesmana, who is also a jazz musician. His musical career with keyboards instrument started at age 10. He first performed with his father in March 1976 in Bandung.
In 1978, he went to Australia with his father to perform at cultural event of the ASEAN Trade Fair. During the stay his father encouraged Indra to take a qualification test at the New South Wales Conservatorium of Music. He passed the test and was accepted at the school.
In 1981, both he and his father formed a band called Jack and Indra Lesmana Quartet with Jack Lesmana, Karim Suweileh and James Morrison. They took a recording session during their visit in Indonesia in the same year and dealt with Queen Record to release the record called “Children of Fantasy“.
When he returned to Australia, he formed a Latin jazz fusion band with Jack Lesmana, Steve Brien, Dale Barlow, Tony Thijssen and Harry Rivers called “Children of Fantasy“. The band visited Indonesia in August 1982 to work on their tours.
In 1982, Indra explored his fusion jazz styles of music and formed another band called Nebula with Steve Hunter, Andy Evans, Ken James, Vince Genova, Carlinhos Gonzalves. The band had recorded their session in No Standing that contained 4 compositions by Indra (No Standing, The First, Sleeping Beauty, ‘Tis time to part) and a Steve Hunter’s “Samba for ET“. The album released in Australia by Jasmine Records and also in Indonesia by Jackson Records.
Zebra Records, an affiliate of MCA Records sent their interest to sign him as the solo artist and release the album “ No Standing “ as Indra Lesmana’ s solo album. The agreement met in 1984 and the album was remastered by Bernie Grundman before released in the US.
Indra moved to California, US in 1985 and did the recording with Vinnie Colaiuta, Michael Landau, Jimmy Haslip, Airto Moreira, Charlie Haden, Bobby Shew, Tootie Heath for his album called “ For Earth and Heaven “. The album released in 1986 and happened to be his second internationally distributed album.
His two albums “ No Standing “ and “ For Earth and Heaven “ appeared to be his highlight debut in USA. His singles “ No Standing “ ( from No Standing album ) and “ Stephanie “ ( from For Earth and Heaven album ) became the hits and entered the Billboard Charts for Jazz in US and number one in radio charts.
Besides his perform duties as an artist and record producer, Indra has deep interest in audio or sound recording technology. His album called Tragedi released in 1984 happened to be his first as a sound designer. In 1998 Indra firstly produced the master quality sound of the Sabda Prana album by Java Jazz. In 1999 he decided to establish his independent mixing and mastering house specializing in jazz. He has personally mixed and mastered more than 20 albums of Indonesian distinguished artists, such as The Groove, Maliq & D'Essentials, Andien, Donny Suhendra, Rika Roeslan, Delon, Simak Dialog, Chlorophyl, Dewa Budjana, Humania, Ermy Kulit and many more. He was also nominated for Best Mixing Engineer for album Rumah Ke Tujuh on AMI Awards 2003.
In 2000, his first single-instrumental jazz music video called Reborn was heavily aired on Indonesia's national television.
He formed his first 17-piece big band project in March 2002 in order to record his 17th solo album that also happened to be his first big band arrangement of original soundtrack album “ Rumah Ke Tujuh “ film produced by his sister, Mira Lesmana.
In early 2004, with wife Hanny Trihandojo Lesmana and music partner Aksan Syuman, built and organize a non-profit art documentary weekly program at a mini art center in South Jakarta called “ Concert Practice to regenerate young people to explore their artistic performance in music and dance.
In year 2009 Indra started to call some of his jazz musicians friends to have regular private jam session at Inline Music studio every Friday. Inline Studio become a mini jazz house for the local jazz musicians and get many attentions from public who would like to see the liveliness.
- 1978 Ayahku Sahabatku
- 1981 Children of Fantasy
- 1982 No Standing
- 1982 Nostalgia
- 1982 Latin Jazz Fusion (Special Edition)
- 1983 Women and Children First
- 1984 No Standing
- 1984 Tragedi
- 1984 Yang Pertama Yang Bahagia
- 1986 For Earth and Heaven
- 1986 Karina
- 1986 Gemilang
- 1986 Jack & Indra Lesmana Various
- 1987 La Samba Primadona
- 1987 Semakin Menawan
- 1988 Kau Datang
- 1988 Ekspresi
- 1989 Dunia Boleh Tertawa
- 1989 Titi DJ 1989
- 1990 Aku Ingin
- 1990 Adegan
- 1992 Cerita Lalu
- 1992 Selangkah Di Depan
- 1992 Hanya Untukmu
- 1993 Biarkan Aku Kembali
- 1994 Tiada Kata
- 1994 Waktu Berjalan
- 1994 Kehadiran
- 1994 Bulan Di Atas Asia
- 1994 Ayah
- 1995 Kabut Di Kaki Langit
- 1996 Jalan Yang Hilang
- 1996 Romantic Piano
- 1996 Jalan Hidupmu
- 1996 Menari-Nari
- 1997 Lost Forest
- 1997 Selamat Tinggal
- 1998 Kedua
- 1998 Sabda Prana
- 1999 Saat Yang Terindah
- 2000 Interaksi
- 2000 Reborn
- 2001 The Birds
- 2002 Kinanti
- 2002 Rumah Ke Tujuh OST
- 2003 Gelatik
- 2005 Silver
- 2006 Jalinan Kasih
- 2007 Kayon - Tree of life
- 2008 Kembali Satu
- 2009 Dream Hope and Faith
- 2010 Joy Joy Joy
- 2011 Love Life Wisdom - featuring LLW (Indra Lesmana, Barry Likumahuwa & Sandy Winarta)
- 2012 Indra Lesmana 11:11" ( iOS app album )
- 2013 Loose Loud Whiz - featuring LLW (Lesmana Likumahuwa Works)
- 2013 Adriana OST
- Best Jazz/Pop Keyboards Instrumentalist - Gadis 
- Best Pop Selling Album : “Aku Ingin“ - BASF Awards 
- Diamond Achievement Awards - De Beers Diamond 
- Best Jazz/Fusion Album – producer : “ Ermi Kullit - Saat Yang Terindah “ - 4th AMI Awards 
- Best Jazz Vocalist - News Music Awards 
- Best Keyboardist - News Music Awards 
- Best Instrumental Song : “ Reborn “ - 5th AMI Awards 
- Best Jazz/Contemporary Jazz Album – producer : “ Andien - Kinanti “ - 6th AMI Awards 
- Best Score/Soundtrack : “ Rumah Ke Tujuh “- Festival Film Bandung 
- Best Jazz/Contemporary Jazz Artist - 7th AMI Awards 
- Best Jazz Song : “Mimpi & Rumah ke Tujuh“ - 7th AMI Awards 
- Best Jazz Arranger : “Mimpi & Rumah ke Tujuh“ - 7th AMI Awards 
- Best Jazz Producer : “OST Rumah ke Tujuh“ - 7th AMI Awards 
- Most Radical Musician : Nokia 7600 
- Rolling Stones Magazine Indonesia - 41st Best Indonesian Album of All Time : "Reborn" 
- Most Favorite Jazz Player : JAK JAZZ 
- Rolling Stones Magazine Indonesia - 68th Best Indonesian Song ( 1950-2008 ) : "Aku Ingin" 
- Most Prominent Jazz Musician : 33rd Jazz Goes To Campus - 4th JGTC Award 
- Australian Alumni Award for Cultural & Art 
- Best Jazz Artist Instrumental Performance : 14th AMI Awards 
- Most Influential Indonesian Musician on Twitter : 
- Brand Personality Award - Contribution To The World of Jazz Music : Asia Pacific Brand Foundation at Kuala Lumpur International Jazz Festival 
- Indra Lesmana and Mostly Jazz XXIX: LLW. jazzuality.com 2011. Retrieved 11 July 2011.