|Religion||Gaudiya Vaishnavism, Hinduism|
|Other names||Brian Tibbitts|
|Born||May 20, 1949
Palo Alto, California
|Post||ISKCON Guru, Sannyasi|
Indradyumna Swami is an ISKCON Guru and a sannyasi for the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (popularly known as ISKCON or the Hare Krishnas). He is a disciple of A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada and is known for his traveling and preaching activities around the world, especially in Poland. Indradyumna Swami shares his experiences and realizations as a traveling preacher in his journal The Diary of a Traveling Monk.
Born as Brian Tibbitts on May 20, 1949 in Palo Alto, California. He eventually joined the US Marines to stop the spread of communism in Vietnam; but a year later he was discharged as a conscientious objector. In December 1971 he was initiated by A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, and given the name Indradyumna Dasa.
Indradyumna left the United States in 1972 journeying to Europe where he helped open new centers in France. In 1979 when he was 29, he took a vow of lifelong dedication to missionary activities as a celibate monk, entering the renounced order of sannyasa as Indradyumna Swami. In the early 1980s he served as the temple president at the New Mayapur château temple and farm near Châteauroux in France.
Indradyumna Swami has been involved in coordinating the annual Festival of India tour in Poland since 1990. The festivals seek to introduce people to India's ancient cultural traditions through a feast of entertainment and education involving: classical Indian dance performances, theatre with larger-than-life puppets, presentations on Vedic texts such as Bhagavad-gita, musical performances, graphic exhibits, stalls with books and handicrafts, vegetarian food. The events are attended by between 5,000 to 10,000 people at a time.
Since 1996 Indradyumna Swami and the Polish Festival of India team have participated in the Przystanek Woodstock free music festival organized over the first weekend in August each year by Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity. Dubbed Europe's largest annual open-air event, Przystanek Woodstock is attended by over 300,000 people each year. Within the mayhem of this setting Indradyumna Swami and the Festival of India team of more than 500 volunteers set up a spiritual sanctuary called "Krishna's Village of Peace".
|Part of a series on|
- Indradyumna Swami Vraja Lila. — Torchlight Publishing, 1994. — 96 p.
- Indradyumna Swami Daso 'Smi - I Am Your Servant. — 1994.
- Indradyumna Swami Diary of a Traveling Preacher, Vol. I & II (May 1995 - November 1996). — Torchlight Publishing. — 296 p.
- Indradyumna Swami Diary of a Traveling Preacher, Vol. III (January 2001 - September 2001). — Torchlight Publishing. — 251 p.
- Indradyumna Swami Diary of a Traveling Preacher, Vol. IV (September 16, 2001 - April 19, 2003). — Torchlight Publishing. — 183 p.
- Indradyumna Swami Diary of a Traveling Preacher, Vol. V (May 2003 - November 2004). — Torchlight Publishing. — 210 p.
- Indradyumna Swami Diary of a Traveling Preacher, Vol. VI (November 2004 - December 2005). — Torchlight Publishing. — 221 p.
- Indradyumna Swami Diary of a Traveling Preacher, Vol. VII (January 2006 - November 2006). — Torchlight Publishing. — 204 p.
- Indradyumna Swami Diary of a Traveling Preacher, Vol. VIII (January 2007- January 2008). — Torchlight Publishing. — 158 p.
- Indradyumna Swami Diary of a Traveling Preacher, Vol. IX (January 2008 - November 2008). — Torchlight Publishing. — 149 p.
- List of Sannyasis in ISKCON April 2008 ISKCON Sannyasa Ministry, Retrieved on 2008-05-05
- Pałubicki 1998, p. 95
- Dwyer & Cole 2007, p. 25
- Biography of Indradyumna Swami
- Swami, I. (1993). Shelter beyond duality. Back to Godhead, 27(5).
- Prabhupada, A. C. B. S. (2003). 1971 Correspondence. In Bhaktivedanta VedaBase. Los Angeles, Ca: Bhaktivedant Book Trust International.
- Swami, I. (1997). Vysa-puja homages from Sannyasis - Indradyumna Swami. In Sri Vyasa-puja 1997. Los Angeles, California: Bhaktivedanta Book Trust International.
- ISKCON serves 250,000 freshly cooked meals to survivors. (2005, February 14). Colombo Daily News.
- Packree, S., & Sookha, B. (2005, January 12). Opening hearts, wallets for disaster relief funds. Daily News.
- Prahlada, S. (2000). Bharata culture on the Baltic coast. Back To Godhead, 34(4).
- Das, K.-k. (2003). Krishna's village of peace. Back To Godhead, 37(1).
- Dwyer, Graham; Cole, Richard J. (2007), The Hare Krishna Movement: Forty years of Chant and Change, I.B. Tauris, ISBN 1-84511-407-8
- Tilak, Shrinivas (2006). Understanding Karma: In Light of Paul Ricoeur's Philosophical Anthropology and Hemeneutics. International Centre for Cultural Studies. ISBN 81-87420-20-0.
- Rosen, Steven J. (2004). Holy Cow: The Hare Krishna Contribution to Vegetarianism and Animal Rights. Lantern Books. ISBN 1-59056-066-3.
- Riddha Dāsa (1997). Destination South Africa: the birth of the Hare Krishna movement in South Africa, 1972-1975. Visnu Garuda Books. ISBN 1-901593-00-2.
- Satsvarūpa Dāsa Gosvāmī (1982). Śrīla Prabhupāda-līlāmṛta: a biography of His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda. Vol. 4, In Every Town and Village: Around the World 1968-1971. Bhaktivedanta Book Trust. ISBN 0-89213-115-2.
- Daily News (14 February 2005). ISKCON serves 250,000 freshly cooked meals to survivors. Ceylon Daily News.
- Levesque, John (May 22, 2001). `Faith & Fear' in a Balanced Light. Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
- Ramsay, Keith (January 12, 2000). Hare Krishna head has spirit of adventure. The Press.
- Post (March 21, 2007). Ratha-yatra festival will be ‘spectacular beyond belief’. The Post.
- Nelson Mail (January 20, 2000). Krishnas visit. The Nelson Mail.
- Robinson, Kim; Cooke, Robert (January 11, 2002). Religious groups accept pig organs. Independent Online.
- Rivera, Jeff (November 19, 2009). Rock Band to Watch: Rival Sons. The Huffington Post.
- Minus, Jodie (December 1, 2008). Eastern touches flowing freely at Thirroul. Illawarra Mercury.
- Packree, Sharlene; Sookha, Bhavna (January 12, 2005). Opening hearts, wallets for disaster relief funds. The Daily News.
- Pałubicki, Władysław (1998), Nierzymskokatolickie kościoły i grupy wyznaniowe w Gdańsku w latach 1945-1995 oraz ich wkład w rozwój regionu Gdańskiego, Bałtycka Wyższa Szkoła Humanistyczna w Koszalinie, ISBN 83-86670-34-7
- Nowakowski, Piotr Tomasz (2001). Sekty: oblicza werbunku. Maternus Media. ISBN 83-912429-5-1.
- Machowska, Ariadna (November 13, 1993). Miód w zamkniętym słoiku. Gazeta Wyborcza 265. p. 12.
- Šedová, Iveta (2009). Rozpory uvnitř hnutí Haré Krišna. Masaryk University.
- Vijesti Internet (October 24, 2003). Festival Indije u Zagrebu. pc chip moby.
- Хлюпин, В. Н. (2001). Геноцид. Русские в Казахстане: трагическая судьба. Изд. Ассоциации переселенцев из Казахстана в России.
- Chapters of Indradyumna Swami's Diary of a Traveling Monk online
- Lectures and Kirtans by Indradyumna Swami