Industrial Technology Research Institute
|Type||Non-profit research institute|
|Headquarters||Hsinchu County and Hsinchu City
Republic of China
|Key people||Ching-Yen Tsay, Chairman
Jyuo-Min Shyu, President
The Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI; Chinese: 工業技術研究院; pinyin: Gōngyè Jìshù Yánjiùyuàn) is a nonprofit R&D organization engaging in applied research and technical services originated from Taiwan. Founded in 1973, ITRI has played a vital role in transforming Taiwan’s economy from a labor-intensive industry to a high-tech industry. Numerous well-known, high-tech companies in Taiwan, such as leaders in the semiconductor industry TSMC and UMC, can trace their origins to ITRI. ITRI, headquartered in Taiwan, has offices in the United States, Japan, Russia and Germany in an effort to extend its R&D scope and promote opportunities for international cooperation.
ITRI employs 5,819 personnel, including 1,396 who hold Ph.D.s and 3,153 with master’s degrees. By disseminating both technology and talent, ITRI has led the technology industry into the 21st century and has cultivated over 140 CEOs in the local high-tech industry. In addition to its headquarters in Taiwan, ITRI has branch offices in the California Silicon Valley, Tokyo, Berlin, Moscow and Eindhoven.
1973: Founding of ITRI
1976: Successful Transfer of IC Manufacturing Processes to Taiwan
1977: Establishment of the First IC Demonstration Foundry in Taiwan as the foundation of the Nation’s Semiconductor Industry
1980: Spinoff of UMC
1983: Successful Development of IBM-compatible PC Leading to Prosperity of the IT Industry
1985: Development of Carbon Fiber Bicycles with Giant
1986: R&D of Photoresistant Dry Film
1987: Spinoff of TSMC, the World’s Largest OEM IC Foundry
1987: Establishment of National Measurement Laboratory (NML)
1989: Spinoff of Taiwan Mask Corp.
1989: Spinoff of Mirle Automation Corp.
1990: Establishment of Taiwan Notebook PC Consortium
1990: Development of 3-inch TFT-LCD Display, and Breakthrough in Large Size Display R&D
1991: Establishment of Taiwan’s First Fire & Explosion Laboratory
1993: Establishment of 8-inch Wafer Laboratory, Acceleration of the Upgrading of the Semiconductor Industry
1993: Commencement of the Manufacturing of 8-inch Silicon Wafers, Securing Taiwan’s Place as a Semiconductor Manufacturing Powerhouse
1995: Successful Development of the First Common Car Engine, and Establishment of CEC
1995: Striving to be the World’s Third-Largest Wire Cutting Machine Producer
1995: Breaking Through the Barrier for Taiwan’s CD-ROM Industry
1996: Prompting the Establishment of Epistar Corp. to Complete the Supply Chain for the LED Industry
1996: OpenLab Project Operation
1997: Making of the First Inkjet Printing Head in Taiwan
1999: Establishment of an Emergency Response Information Center
2001: Development of the First Linear Motor Machine Tool in Taiwan
2002: Spinoff of Phalanx Biotech Group
2002: Discovery of Type 21 Human Collagen
2002: Establishment of cGMP Chinese Herbal Medicinal Plant
2004: Establishment of DelSolar Co.
2004: Establishment of DailyCare BioMedical Inc.
2005: Establishment of ITRI South
2007: Opening of Taiwan’s first flexible display production and development laboratory
2008: Pioneer of the First WiMAX Applications Lab in the World
2009: Introduction of the World’s First USB 3.0 Thin Memory Card
2009: Setting up of the First Solar Power Lab in Taiwan
2010: Designing of the Pavilion of Dreams at Taipei International Flora Exposition by Integrating Applied Sciences with Arts Focusing on Humanism
2011: Industrial Technology Investment Corporation (ITIC) and Mitsubishi UFJ Capital Co., Ltd. (MUCAP) set up a venture capital
2012: ITRI inks green energy pact with Dutch center.
2012: “ITRI Laureate” Honors 8 Tycoons for Industrial Contributions.
2012: MOU Signed Between ITRI and KOSBI, Korea for the promotion of bilateral SMEs economic development.
Chairman : Ching-Yen Tsay
President : Jyuo-Min Shyu
- 2013 - R&D 100 Awards for iAT Technology, FluxMerge, and ButyFix
- 2012 - The Wall Street Journal’s 2012 Technology Innovation Awards for SideLighter and aePLASMA
- 2012 - R&D 100 Awards for Lignoxy, TEMM, SideLighter, aePLASMA, Light&Light, and AVA-Clamp
- 2012 - Aviation Week’s A&D SIC Award for REDDEX
- 2011 - The Wall Street Journal’s 2011 Technology Innovation Awards for i2R e-Paper and Spray-IT
- 2011 - ITRI as Excellent Organization, Solar Industry Awards, UK for Solar Radome
- 2011 - R&D 100 Awards for i2R e-Paper and HyTAC
- 2011 - Silver Award, The Society for Information Display (SID) Display of the Year Awards (DYA) for ITRI Flexible Substrate for Displays
- 2010 - Overall Gold, The Wall Street Journal’s 2010 Technology Innovation Awards for FlexUPD, Runner-up for MDPS
- 2010 - R&D 100 Awards for FlexUPD, i2/3DW and REDDEX
- 2009 - R&D 100 Awards for STOBA
- 2009 - The Wall Street Journal’s 2009 Technology Innovation Awards for FleXpeaker
- 2009 - iF Design Award for Fluid Driven Lighting System
- 2009 - Red Dot Design Award for Flexio Radio
- 2008 - R&D 100 Awards for On-Chip AC LED
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Industrial Technology Research Institute.|