IndyCar Series on ABC
|IndyCar Series on ABC|
|Also known as||IndyCar Series on ESPN|
|Genre||Auto racing telecasts|
|Presented by||Allen Bestwick
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||180 minutes or until race ends|
|Production company(s)||ESPN on ABC|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV),
|Original run||1996– present|
|Related shows||IndyCar Series on NBC|
IndyCar Series on ABC is the branding used for coverage of the IndyCar Series produced by ESPN, and currently broadcast on ABC television network in the United States (through its ESPN on ABC division).
ABC first began airing races that are now part of the IndyCar Series in 1965 with that year's running of the Indianapolis 500 on its Wide World of Sports anthology series, with the network having broadcast the 500 every year since. In 1996, Indianapolis Motor Speedway President Tony George led a group of breakaway owners in the founding of the Indy Racing League, with the 500 being its premier event. ABC added coverage of IRL races to the 500.
In 2008, ESPN and ESPN2 also each carried several of the IndyCar Series, before losing the cable television rights to the series to Versus (now NBCSN). Despite losing the cable rights, on August 10, 2011, ESPN renewed ABC's end of its broadcast deal with the league through 2018.
As of 2014, Allen Bestwick is the lap-by-lap commentator while former IndyCar drivers Scott Goodyear and Eddie Cheever serve as color commentators. ABC's coverage of the 2013 Firestone 550 at Texas Motor Speedway was the first prime time broadcast for the network.
- Bruce Martin (October 7, 2011). "ABC Television Adds To IndyCar Coverage". National Speed Sport News. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "2008 IndyCar Series Schedule". ESPN. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "2009 IndyCar Series Schedule". ESPN. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "Indy 500 will remain on ABC into 2018". ESPN. August 10, 2011. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "Cheever expanding role to all 6 ABC IndyCar races". Sports Illustrated. Time Inc. April 24, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- Dan Lewandowski (May 25, 2013). "ABC's innovative '500' coverage on the air NOW". IndyCar Series. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "Marty Reid Fired: ESPN Replaces NASCAR, IndyCar Announcer After Nationwide Gaffe (VIDEO)". The Huffington Post. AOL. September 29, 2013. Retrieved September 29, 2013.
- "NASCAR broadcaster Allen Bestwick to move to IndyCar Series broadcasts". Charlotte Observer. January 2, 2014.
- "ABC prime-time broadcast showcases competition". IndyCar Series. June 6, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
|This television program–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|