Inez is a city in Martin County, Kentucky, United States. The population was 466 at the 2000 census. In 2008, Inez had an estimated population of 435. It is the county seat of Martin County.
Although Inez was not incorporated as a city until 1942, the vicinity was first settled circa 1810 by James Ward and was named Arminta Ward's Bottom. In 1873, three years after Martin County was established, the county seat was moved from Warfield to Arminta Ward's Bottom. The town was then renamed Eden by J.M. Stepp who likened it to the biblical Eden. But, because there was already a post office in Kentucky with the same name, the post office was renamed Inez on June 23, 1874. Some time later, the town also changed its name to that of the post office in order to prevent confusion. It was allegedly named by Leo Frank, the postmaster of Louisa in neighboring Lawrence County, for his daughter.
Inez is located at 37°51′59″N 82°32′21″W / 37.86639°N 82.53917°W (37.866431, -82.539058).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.7 square miles (1.8 km2), all land.
Inez is home to several industrial employers primarily focused on the area's robust energy market. A multitude of coal, gas and oil exploration and affiliated services companies call the mineral rich areas in and around Martin County and Inez home. Outside the city is another major regional employer, the Federal Bureau of Prisons' Big Sandy facility.
|U.S. Census Bureau
As of the census of 2000, there were 466 people, 212 households, and 132 families residing in the city. The population density was 710.5 people per square mile (272.6/km²). There were 253 housing units at an average density of 385.7 per square mile (148.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.28% White, and 1.72% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.64% of the population.
There were 212 households out of which 30.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.8% were married couples living together, 15.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.7% were non-families. 35.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.0% under the age of 18, 10.3% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 22.3% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 75.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 67.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,875, and the median income for a family was $25,938. Males had a median income of $41,875 versus $17,292 for females. This compares to a median household income in all of the United States of $46,326 in 2006 while the median personal income (including only those above the age of 25) was $32,140. The per capita income for the city was $14,183. About 37.0% of families and 35.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 41.7% of those under age 18 and 21.4% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure 
The United States Postal Service operates the Inez Post Office.
The Federal Bureau of Prisons U.S. Penitentiary, Big Sandy is located near Inez, in unincorporated Martin County.
The Martin County School System serves Inez. Sheldon Clark High School is the area high school.
See also 
- ^ Kentucky State Data Center Retrieved on 2010-04-08
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Rennick, Robert M. (1988). "Place Names". Kentucky Place Names. Lexington, Kentucky: The University Press of Kentucky. ISBN 0-8131-0179-4. Retrieved on 2010-04-08
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ Annual Estimates of Resident Population for Incorporated Cities in Kentucky: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2009 United States Census Bureau. Retrieved on 2010-07-08
- ^ U.S. Census Bureau Retrieved on 2010-04-08
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Post Office™ Location - INEZ." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on February 21, 2011.
- ^ "Institution Supplement." United States Penitentiary, Big Sandy. 2 (2/18). Retrieved on February 21, 2011. "USP Big Sandy is located at 1197 Airport Rd, Inez, Kentucky." and "Directions from Interstate 64: From the following areas: Ashland, KY, Huntington, WV, and the Ohio area, travel Interstate 64 to Kentucky Exit 191 to Route 23 South. Follow 23 South for approximately 38 miles until you reach Route 645. Turn left onto Route 645 South and travel approximately 11 miles until you reach Route 3. Turn right onto Route 3 and travel for approximately 10 miles until you reach Airport Road. Turn left onto Airport Road and follow signs to the institution."
External links