Infanta Pilar, Duchess of Badajoz
|Infanta Pilar of Spain|
|Infanta of Spain; Duchess of Badajoz
Dowager Viscountess de la Torre
|Spouse||Luis Gómez-Acebo, Viscount de la Torre|
|Issue||Simoneta Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón
Juan Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón, Viscount de la Torre
Bruno Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón
Luis Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón
Fernando Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón
|House||House of Bourbon|
|Father||Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona|
|Mother||Princess María Mercedes of Bourbon-Two Sicilies|
30 July 1936 |
|Royal styles of
Infanta Pilar of Spain,
Duchess of Badajoz
|Reference style||Her Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
Infanta Pilar of Spain, Duchess of Badajoz, Dowager Viscountess de la Torre (María del Pilar Alfonsa Juana Victoria Luisa Ignacia y Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias) (born 30 July 1936, in Cannes) is the elder daughter of Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona and Princess María Mercedes of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, and older sister of King Juan Carlos I. She has also a younger sister, Infanta Margarita of Spain.
Marriage and issue
|Spanish Royal Family|
|HM The King
HM The Queen
She married Don Luis Gómez-Acebo y Duque de Estrada, ?th Viscount de la Torre, Grandee of Spain (Madrid, 23 December 1934 – Madrid, 9 March 1991) on 5 May 1967 in Lisbon, Portugal. He was a son, the fourth of six children, of Jaime Gómez-Acebo y Modet (ca. 1900 – ?) and wife (m. 1927) Isabel Duque de Estrada y Vereterra, 9th Marchioness de Deleitosa (ca. 1903 – ?). His father was a son of the 3rd Marquess de Cortina and an uncle of Margarita Gómez-Acebo y Cejuela. They had five children:
- HE Doña María de Fátima Simoneta Luisa Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón (born 28 October/31 October 1968). She married in Palma de Mallorca on 12 September 1990 José Miguel Fernández y Sastrón, later Fernández-Sastrón (born 14 June 1959), son of Jorge Fernández y Menéndez and wife Eloísa Ana Sastrón y Herrera. They divorced on 16 October 2012. They have two sons and one daughter:
- Luis Juan Fernández-Sastrón y Gómez-Acebo (born 23 September 1991)
- Pablo Fernández-Sastrón y Gómez-Acebo (born 4 May 1995)
- María de las Mercedes Fernández-Sastrón y Gómez-Acebo (born 17 January 2000), her godfather is Felipe VI of Spain
- HE Don Juan Filiberto Nicolás Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón (born 6 December 1969), ?th Viscount de la Torre. On 2 January 2014 he married Winston Holmes Carney in the Consulate of Spain in Miami. They have one child:
- Nicolás Gómez-Acebo y Carney (born 2 March 2013)
- HE Don Bruno Alejandro Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón (born 15 June 1971), married in Madrid at the Church of la Encarnación on 5 October 2002 Bárbara Cano y de la Plaza and they have three sons:
- Alejandro Juan Gómez-Acebo y Cano (born 5 November 2004)
- Guillermo Gómez-Acebo y Cano (born 23 November 2005)
- Álvaro Gómez-Acebo y Cano (born 30 May 2011), his godfather is Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou
- HE Don Luis Beltrán Ataúlfo Alfonso Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón (born 20 May 1973), married at La Granja de San Ildefonso, Segovia, on 18 September 2004 model Laura Ponte y Martínez; separation confirmed in July 2009. They divorced in 2011, and have a son and a daughter:
- Luis Felipe Gómez-Acebo y Ponte (born 1 July 2005), his godfather is Felipe VI of Spain
- Laura Gómez-Acebo y Ponte (born 1 July 2006)
- HE Don Fernando Humberto Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón (born 30 September 1974), married in Madrid on 27 November 2004 Mónica Martín Luque, without issue. Announced separation in July 2011. Finally, they divorced in January 2013.
Pilar needed to renounce to her rights of succession to the Spanish throne to marry a commoner as stipulated by the Pragmatic Sanction of Charles III on marriages of members of the royal family.
She was President of the International Equestrian Federation from 1994 to 2005, when she was replaced by Princess Haya bint Hussein. The Infanta still supports very actively the international equestrian sport. She wrote the foreword of the official Spanish translation of the national instruction handbook of the German National Equestrian Federation, Técnicas Avanzadas de Equitación - Manual Oficial de Instrucción de la Federación Ecuestre Alemana. This manual was published in Spain and Latin America and counted with the participation of prominent riders and high officials of the International Equestrian Federation (FEI) from Spanish speaking countries. She was member of the International Olympic Committee for Spain from 1996 to 2006, when she became an honorary member, and Member of the Executive Board of the Spanish Olympic Committee. She was President of Europa Nostra, the pan-European federation for cultural heritage between 2007-2009.
The Infanta is fluent in English, French, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
- 30 July 1936 – 13 April 1967: Her Royal Highness Infanta Pilar of Spain
- 13 April 1967 – 5 June 1967: Her Royal Highness Infanta Pilar, Duchess of Badajoz
- 5 June 1967 – 9 March 1991: Her Royal Highness Infanta Pilar, Duchess of Badajoz, Viscountess of la Torre
- 9 March 1991 – present: Her Royal Highness Infanta Pilar, Duchess of Badajoz, Viscountess Dowager of la Torre
The Infanta's style and title in full: Her Royal Highness Doña María del Pilar Alfonsa Juana Victoria Luisa Ignacia de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias de Gómez-Acebo, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Badajoz, Viscountess Dowager of la Torre.
- National Orders
- The 1,191st Dame of the Royal Order of Queen Maria Luisa (16/04/1936).
- Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III (14/10/1988).
- Foreign Orders
- Kingdom of Greece : Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Saints Olga and Sophia (13/05/1962).
- Portugal : Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry (06/06/1968).
- Former sovereign families
- House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies : Dame Grand Cross of Justice of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George (1960).
Footnotes and References
- Infanta Pilar's actual given name is María del Pilar; however, due to the high number of women in Spain named María, as is the convention, she uses the name Pilar. For more information, see Spanish names.
- Simoneta and José Miguel divorced (Spanish)
- Civil Wedding of the Viscount de la Torre
- Separation of Beltrán Gómez-Acebo and Laura Ponte
- Divorce of Beltrán Gómez-Acebo (Spanish)
- Hola - Interview with Mónica Martín Luque
- Vanitatis (Spanish)
- Federación Ecuestre Alemana (2012). Picobello Publishing. ed. Técnicas Avanzadas de Equitación - Manual Oficial de Instrucción de la Federación Ecuestre Alemana. Picobello Publishing. pp. 278. ISBN 9788493672188.
- Boletín Oficial del Estado
- Wedding of Juan Carlos of Spain and Sophia of Greece
- Portugal State visit to Spain
- Membership of the Constantinian Order
- "Cadency of the Spanish Royal House" (in Spanish). José Juan Carrión Rangel, Blog de heráldica. Retrieved 2009-11-29.