Infantry Training Centre (British Army)
|Infantry Training Centre Catterick|
|Part of||Army Recruiting and Training Division|
ITC Catterick assumed overall responsibility for all infantry phase 2 training from the three Infantry Training Battalion sites at Catterick, Strensall and Ouston on 1 May 1995. As of May 2002 the ITC assumed full control of all infantry phase 1 and 2 training for the Regular Army in a single Combat Infantryman's Course (CIC). ITC Catterick is also responsible for the Infantry Battle School (Brecon), and the Support Weapons School (Warminster). ITC Catterick is the predominant user of the Warcop Training Area.
The Infantry Training Centre (ITC) Catterick is the primary training location for all recruits who want to join the infantry and is where the Combat Infantryman's Course (CIC) is conducted. The CIC combines Phase 1 and Phase 2 infantry training, (although junior soldiers destined for the infantry continue to receive Phase 1 training at the Army Foundation College in Harrogate). ITC Catterick is divided into three Battalions 2 Infantry Training Battalions (ITB) and one support Battalion (ITC).
- 1st Infantry Training Battalion is responsible for training soldiers destined to join the regiments of the Queen's Division, Prince of Wales' Division, the Royal Irish Regiment and The Rifles, King's Division and the Royal Regiment of Scotland. The 1st Battalion has five training companies:
- Queen's Division Company
- Prince of Wales's Division Company
- Rifles Training Company
- King's Division Company
- Royal Regiment of Scotland Training Company
- 2nd Infantry Training Battalion has responsibility for training recruits who will join one of the regiments of the Guards Division, the Parachute Regiment and the Brigade of Gurkhas. The CIC PARA course has seven Training platoons (named after famous operations conduced by the Paras during World War II :
- Arnhem Platoon
- Athens Platoon
- Breville Platoon
- Bruneval Platoon
- Normandy Platoon
- Oudna Platoon
- Rhine Platoon
- The 3rd Battalion (ITC) ITC Catterick's primary support unit, dealing with logistic and medical support. The 3rd Battalion is structured to provide maximum support throughout the ITC and consists of the following departments:
- Headquarter (HQ)Company.
- Hook VC Company (discharged soldiers).
- Williams Company (rehabilitation).
- Army School of Ceremonial.
- Army School of Bagpipe Music and Highland Drumming.
- Army Primary Health Care.
- Quartermasters (QMs) Department.
- G7 Training.
Combat Infantryman's Course
The Combat Infantryman's Course (CIC) is the standard framework course on which all infantry training in the British Army is based. The standard course lasts 26 weeks, in which the basics of infantry soldiering are taught:
- Personal administration
- Weapons training
- "Memorandum from Mrs Lynn Farr". Hansard. 14 March 2005. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Phase 1 Basic training for recruits". Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- "Public access to military training areas", MoD website
- "1st Infantry Training Battalion". Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "2nd Infantry Training Battalion". Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "ITC Support Battalion". Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Combat Infantryman's Course - Line Infantry". Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- Infantry Training Centre Catterick (ITC Catterick) - on British Army official website