IS (Infinite Stratos)
|IS <Infinite Stratos>|
Cover of IS <Infinite Stratos> Volume 1 as published by Media Factory featuring Houki Shinonono
(IS <Infinitto Sutoratosu>)
|Genre||Science fiction, Romance, Comedy, Harem|
|Written by||Izuru Yumizuru|
|Illustrated by||Okiura (Vol.1–7)
CHOCO (Vol.1–7 reprints),
|Published by||Media Factory (Vol.1–7)
|Imprint||MF Bunko J (Vol.1–7)
Overlap Bunko (Vol.8–present)
|Original run||May 25, 2009 – ongoing|
|Illustrated by||Kenji Akahoshi|
|Published by||Media Factory|
|Magazine||Monthly Comic Alive|
|Original run||May 27, 2010 – July 27, 2012|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Yasuhito Kikuchi|
|Written by||Fukihiko Shimo|
|Music by||Hikaru Nanase|
|Network||TBS, CBC, SUN, KBS, BS-TBS|
|Original run||January 6, 2011 – March 31, 2011|
|Original video animation|
|IS <Infinite Stratos> Encore: A Sextet Yearning for Love|
|Directed by||Yasuhito Kikuchi|
|Written by||Fukihiko Shimo|
|Music by||Hikaru Nanase|
|Released||December 7, 2011|
|Anime television series|
|Infinite Stratos 2|
|Directed by||Yasuhito Kikuchi|
|Written by||Fukihiko Shimo|
|Music by||Hikaru Nanase|
|Network||TBS, SUN, CBC, KBS, BS-TBS|
|Original run||October 3, 2013 – December 19, 2013|
|Original video animation|
|Infinite Stratos 2: Long Vacation Edition |
|Directed by||Kumi Horii|
|Music by||Hikaru Nanase|
|Released||October 30, 2013|
IS <Infinite Stratos> (Japanese: IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉 Hepburn: IS <Infinitto Sutoratosu> ) is a Japanese light novel series by Izuru Yumizuru with illustrations provided by Okiura and CHOCO. As of October 2013, 8 volumes have been published by Media Factory under their MF Bunko J label. From volume 8 onwards, the novels will be published by Overlap under their Overlap Bunko label. A manga adaptation by Kenji Akahoshi was serialized in the seinen manga magazine Monthly Comic Alive from May 2010 to July 2012 with five volumes published under their Alive Comics imprint. A 12-episode anime adaptation aired in Japan between January and March, 2011, and an OVA was released on December 7, 2011. The anime is licensed by Sentai Filmworks in North America, and they released the series on April 10, 2012. A second series aired from October 3, 2013 to December 19, 2013.
In the near future, a Japanese scientist engineers a powered exoskeleton called "Infinite Stratos" (IS). Possessing technology and combat capabilities far more advanced than any other weapon system, the IS threatens to destabilize the world. Faced with such an overpowering weapon, the nations of the world enact the "Alaska Treaty", which states that IS will never be used for military combat and that existing IS technology must be equally distributed to all nations, to prevent any one nation from dominating the others. The introduction of the IS does, however, have a major effect on society. As IS can only be operated by women, there is a shift in the power balance between men and women, where women now dominate society over men.
Ten years after IS was initially introduced, the world has entered a new age of peace. The peace is shattered, however, by Ichika Orimura, a 15-year-old Japanese boy able to operate an IS. Realizing the potential, the Japanese government forces the bewildered young man to attend the prestigious Infinite Stratos Academy, an international academy where IS pilots from all over the world are trained. Thus, he starts a busy high school life surrounded by nothing but girls who can use IS.
- Ichika Orimura (織斑 一夏 Orimura Ichika )
- Voiced by: Kōki Uchiyama (Japanese), Josh Grelle (English)
- The protagonist of Infinite Stratos. He is a first year student and class representative at the IS Academy. His older sister, Chifuyu, is a legendary IS pilot who raised him when the siblings' parents abandoned them at a young age. Despite how harshly she treats him, he loves his sister dearly. During the second Mondo Grosso, he was kidnapped by the Phantom Task, that effectively causes Chifuyu to forfeit the match to rescue him, to which he regrets for being a weak brother. As the first male IS pilot, his new reputation has made him somewhat famous as many scientists and engineers would like to study him. He is extraordinarily thick-headed to the feelings of the girls around him, and seems completely unable to catch on even the most obvious and straightforward expressions of their romantic feelings towards him. He is a very kind person, as he will go to fairly extreme lengths to achieve a goal he has set for himself. He pilots the Byakushiki (白式, lit. White Expressions) IS, a prototype, one of only two developed 4th generation IS focused on short-range melee attacks. He also possesses Chifuyu's Yukihira Type 2 (雪片弐型 Yukihira Nigata ), upgraded from the version used by his sister; and Core Number 001, the very first IS core. Later it is revealed that he also has a twin sister, Madoka, who harbors a grudge on Chifuyu.
- Later on, Byakushiki undergoes Second Shift shortly after Houki Shinonono acquires her personal unit, Akatsubaki. In the resulting Second Shift form, named Byakushiki Setsura (白式雪羅), it is equipped with a multi-function unit Setsura (雪羅), which has: a high-caliber charged particle cannon, an energy claw for close-quarters combat, and an energy shield with the One-Off ability. In its Second Shift, Byakushiki also gains an increase in mobility through the addition of 4 large wing thrusters, enabling it to execute Double Ignition Boost.[volume & issue needed] In this Second Shift form, it is the best IS ever made along with Houki's Akatsubaki.
- Houki Shinonono (篠ノ之 箒 Shinonono Hōki )
- Voiced by: Yōko Hikasa (Japanese), Monica Rial (English)
- Houki is a first-year student at the IS Academy and Ichika's childhood friend, though they have not seen each other for six years. She has a very long ponytail. Her place of residence is home to a kendo dojo, which led to her early interest in kendo. Houki even competes in kendo competitions at a national level, and was the winner of the national tournament that was hosted one year before the story of Infinite Stratos began. She is part of the kendo club at the IS academy. Her older sister, Tabane Shinonono, is the creator of the IS, though their relationship is strained. Six years ago, Ichika agreed to become her boyfriend if she could win the national kendo tournament of their grade. However, the day of the tournament is also the day the IS was introduced to the world. Due to the familal links to Tabane, Houki's family is placed under government protection and Houki is forced to withdraw from the kendo tournament. Since that incident, Houki resents her sister for moving her away from Ichika and abandoning their family.
- Despite not seeing him for a long time, Houki still harbors strong feelings for Ichika, as her continuing practice of kendo was her only link to him. She was his initial roommate before the arrivals of Charlotte Dunois and Tatenashi Sarashiki, and tends to get jealous when other girls are around him. Originally not possessing a personal IS, in Volume 3 she receives and pilots the Akatsubaki (紅椿, lit. Red Camellia) IS, one of only two developed 4th generation IS and a short-range melee-class IS, armed with twin katana named Amatsuki (雨月, "Rainy Moon") and Karaware (空裂, "Cracked Sky"). The Akatsubaki has a One-Off ability called Kenran Butō (絢爛舞踏, "Magnificent Dance"), which allows Houki to replenish both her own and other IS's energy when she comes in contact with them. However, because she is still unskilled as a pilot and her compatibility with the IS is only at grade C, she is still considered to be on the same level of the other girls. As of Volume 7, her compatibility has risen to grade S.
- Cecilia Alcott (セシリア・オルコット Seshiria Orukotto )
- Voiced by: Yukana (Japanese), Brittney Karbowski (English)
- Cecilia is a first year student at the IS Academy and is an IS Cadet Representative of the United Kingdom, as part of the British Aristocracy. Her father, a spoiled and timid man who had little influence both inside and outside the Alcott family, makes her swear to never marry a weak man (a difficulty due to the shift in social status). Upon losing her parents in a deadly train accident when she is 12 years old, Cecilia is forced to protect her family fortune from those who wish to claim a stake of it. After showing high IS aptitude, she makes a deal with the British government, who, in exchange for protecting her family's assets, wants her to go to the IS Academy as a Cadet Representative to gather data for their latest 3rd-generation model. She was almost defeated by Ichika for the position of class representative but won due to a technicality, but later cedes her position to Ichika. She soon starts to see him as a true man and falls in love with him. She pilots the Blue Tears (ブルー・ティアーズ Burū Tiāzu ) IS, a long-range sniper-class IS, which can deploy four remotely controlled "drones" (aka "Blue Tears", for which the IS is named) for engaging enemies at short and medium range. The Blue Tears IS is also equipped with the Starlight Mark III (スターライトmkIII Sutāraito Māku Surī ), a large laser rifle, and Interceptor (インターセプター Intāseputā ), a short blade used for close-range combat. In the anime, Blue Tears is shown to also have a pair of rocket launchers attached to the hips, in place of two other Blue Tears shown in the light novels, used at close to long-range on different occasions.
- Huang Lingyin (凰 鈴音 Fan Rin'in )
- Voiced by: Asami Shimoda (Japanese), Hilary Haag (English)
- Lingyin is a first year student at the IS Academy, the class representative of her class and is an IS Cadet Representative of China. As with Houki Shinonono, Lingyin has been friends with Ichika Orimura since their early childhood. She has been in love with Ichika ever since he protected her against four school bullies. Lingyin at first becomes extremely hostile to Ichika after he forgets the details of a promise they made as kids (in which it was implied; although not explicitly stated, that if she became an excellent cook, he would become her boyfriend). She is also called "Ling" (鈴 Rin ) as a nickname by others, although in the English dub of the anime, her first name is always spoken as "Rin", even in formal situations. Her family ran a Chinese restaurant that Ichika would often eat at before Ling's parents divorced and she moved back to China. She pilots the Shenlong (甲龍 Shinryū , lit. "Spirit Dragon") a short-to-medium-range melee-type IS armed with the Ryuhou (龍砲 lit. Dragon Cannon ), powerful "Impact Cannons" hidden in the shoulder armor. It is also armed with the Sōten Gagetsu (双天牙月), a pair of liuyedao that can be connected to form a naginata-like weapon.
- Charlotte Dunois (シャルロット・デュノア Sharurotto Dunoa )
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa (Japanese), Shannon Emerick (English)
- Charlotte is a first year student at the IS Academy and is an IS Cadet Representative of France. Charlotte initially calls herself Charles Dunois (シャルル・デュノア Sharuru Dunoa ), posing as the second "male" IS pilot student that was transferred into Ichika's class. However, her plan is to spy on Ichika, discover how he is able to pilot an IS and acquire data from his IS (which at the time was considered the most advanced 3rd-generation unit). Because she enrolls as a male IS pilot, she is paired with Ichika as roommates since they are "both" guys. As a result of this arrangement, Ichika later discovers her true gender when he inadvertently walks in on her showering. Upon learning that Charlotte's father and his corporation used her to spy on him, Ichika decides to help protect her. She later falls in love with Ichika due to his bravery. She pilots the Rafale Revive Custom II (ラファール・リヴァイヴ・カスタムII Rafāru Revaivu Kasutamu Tsū ) IS, a 2nd-generation custom multi-range IS possessing a wide array of interchangeable weapons allowing for fast battlefield adaptation and capable of performing the Ignition Boost. Her weapons, once called upon, can be used by another IS pilot as long as she grants permission. Due to her training to make her a convincing male prior to her entry to the IS Academy, Charlotte uses "boku" (an informal male equivalent of "I") when referring to herself. Following the Silver Gospel Incident in later novels, Charlotte becomes Laura's roommate.
- Laura Bodewig (ラウラ・ボーデヴィッヒ Raura Bōdevihhi )
- Voiced by: Marina Inoue (Japanese), Tiffany Grant (English)
- Laura is a first-year student at the IS Academy and an IS Cadet Representative of Germany. A dokidoki genetically-engineered super-soldier, Laura is the commander of the German IS special forces, Schwarzer Hase (シュヴァルツェア・ハーゼ Shuvarutsea Hāze , German for "Black Rabbit"). She has red eyes and long silver hair; but her most distinct feature being a black eyepatch covering her glowing-yellow left eye, the result of a failed nano-machine experiment meant to help her pilot an IS better. Laura was under Chifuyu's tutelage when the latter was an instructor for the German army following the 2nd Mondo Grosso, and holds Chifuyu in high regard for helping her and was her role model when she suffered a depression for not being the strongest. Her current name is actually a code name given to her by the German military, as she was artificially created from human DNA.
- Laura's original purpose for coming to the IS Academy is to punish Ichika, who she blames for his sister withdrawing from the 2nd IS International Fighting Tournament (she is unaware that Ichika was kidnapped at the time and that Chifuyu withdraws in order to save him). She initially defeats Ling and Cecilia but struggles in the tournament against the pair of Ichika and Charlotte, as they had planned their attacks beforehand (unlike Laura, who does not excel with allies). After Charlotte beats her during the class tournament, the dormant VT-System within Laura's IS activates, causing her to go berserk, defeating both Charlotte and Ichika. She is then stopped by Ichika, who also calms and console her in the Inter-IS subspace. After consoling her in the subspace, she realizes what Chifuyu sees in him and falls in love with him. Upon learning Ichika's strength is his freedom to choose and helping those around him and Chifuyu's advice, Laura decides to become Ichika's bodyguard to protect him against the other girls by kissing him in front of his class and professes that he is her wife, a misunderstanding of her knowledge of Japanese culture, and she will not accept any objections. She later becomes Charlotte's roommate in later novels following the Silver Gospel incident.
- Laura pilots the Schwarzer Regen (「シュヴァルツェア・レーゲン Shuvarutsea Rēgen , German for "Black Rain") IS, a medium-to-long-range artillery-type IS. The Schwarzer Regen possess several remotely guided tethers, which Laura uses to capture and restrain her opponents while she attacks them with a slow-firing but extremely powerful railgun. The Schwarzer Regen also possesses an "Active Inertial Canceller" (AIC), which can be used to stop the movement of projectiles and even another IS. While a very powerful defense, the canceller can only be used against one target at a time, and is only effective at very close range.
IS Academy staff
- Chifuyu Orimura (織斑 千冬 Orimura Chifuyu )
- Voiced by: Megumi Toyoguchi (Japanese), Luci Christian (English)
- Ichika's 24 year-old older sister, and homeroom teacher of his class at the Academy. She was the Japanese pilot for the first-generation IS machines and was said to be the strongest IS pilot at one point before retiring. During her retirement, she looked after her brother and raised him by herself after their parents abandoned them at a young age. Although she usually treats him coldly, Chifuyu deeply cares for Ichika, as she sees him as her only family. Chifuyu was also the one who enrolled Ichika to the IS Academy to keep him safe from other countries. Chifuyu once wielded Yukihira, a powerful IS energy blade now in Ichika's possession. Chifuyu was a close friend of Tabane Shinonono, which explains how their younger siblings became childhood friends. Tabane also implies (heavily) that Chifuyu piloted the "White Knight" (白騎士 Shirokishi )–the first ever developed IS that protected Japan from a missile attack 10 years prior to the series.
- Maya Yamada (山田 真耶 Yamada Maya )
- Voiced by: Noriko Shitaya (Japanese), Cynthia Martinez (English)
- The substitute instructor of Ichika's class, possessing a noticeably large bust. She used to be an IS Representative Cadet of Japan. In the anime, this former status of hers is very apparent, as she was able to defeat both Cecilia and Lingyin single-handedly by using a mass-produced Raphael Revive IS in a training exercise.
- Tabane Shinonono (篠ノ之 束 Shinonono Tabane )
- Voiced by: Yukari Tamura (Japanese), Allison Keith (English)
- Houki's older sister and the creator of the IS. She mysteriously disappeared after introducing the IS technology, and is currently the most wanted person in the world as many seek her for her knowledge about it. She is a close friend of Chifuyu, Ichika's older sister. Houki resents being related to her, due to what happened to their family and Ichika 6 years ago, and has hated her since. She has a thing for rabbits, hence the metal bunny ears on her head and the carrot pod she arrived in to give Houki her IS. It is hinted by Chifuyu that the IS can be used by females only because Tabane programmed them to be so and this was confirmed when the IS core 001 was reprogrammed to be compatible with Ichika.
- Dan Gotanda (五反田 弾 Gotanda Dan )
- Voiced by: Makoto Yasumura (Japanese), Christopher Ayres (English)
- A close friend of Ichika's back from middle school. He is often threatened (and sometimes beaten) by his younger sister, Ran.
- Ran Gotanda (五反田 蘭 Gotanda Ran )
- Voiced by: Noriko Obato (Japanese), Luci Christian (English)
- Dan's younger sister. She is currently in her third year of middle school and is the student council president. Ran apparently has a crush on Ichika. She plans to enroll at the IS academy, after revealing that she ranked A on an IS aptitude test.
- Clarissa Harfouch (クラリッサ・ハルフォーフ Kurarissa Harufōfu )
- Voiced by: Kei Mizusawa
- Laura's comrade and the deputy commander of Schwarzer Hase. Like Laura, she also wears an eyepatch. An Otaku, Clarissa teaches Laura about Japanese culture through anime and manga (which is, even in reality, not very accurate). She is the pilot of the IS Schwarzer Zweig (シュヴァルツェア・ツヴァイク Shuvarutsea Tsuvaiku , German for "Black Branch").
- Natasha Fairs (ナターシャ・ファイルス Natāsha Fairusu )
- The IS Representative Cadet of the United States. In the novels, she was the test pilot for the Silver Gospel (銀の福音（シルバリオ・ゴスペル） Shirubario Gosuperu ), an IS co-built with Israel, before she loses control of it when it goes berserk. It is only when the intervention by Ichika and the rest of his comrades are they able to stop the Silver Gospel. As gratitude for saving her life, Natasha kisses Ichika on the cheek as thanks, much to the anger of the girls.
- Tatenashi Sarashiki (更識 楯無 Sarashiki Tatenashi )
- Voiced by: Chiwa Saitō
- The Student Council President of the IS Academy, as well as the 17th leader of the Sarashiki Family and the IS Representative of Russia. She is the Academy's most powerful IS pilot (the position of Student Council President is only given to the strongest IS Academy student). She is assigned to protect Ichika after the Silver Gospel incident and used her position as president to become Ichika's roommate (much to Houki's jealousy). Unlike the other girls, Tatenashi likes to tease Ichika with her body, making him uncomfortable most of the time. She realizes she likes to flirt with Ichika, and after asking his help in regaining her younger sister Kanzashi's spirit, it is hinted that she may have developed feelings for him. She is the pilot of the Mysterious Lady (ミステリアス・レイディ Misuteriasu Redi ) IS.
- Kanzashi Sarashiki (更識 簪 Sarashiki Kanzashi )
- Voiced by: Suzuko Mimori
- Tatenashi's younger sister and the IS Representative of Japan. Kanzashi is a fan of anime heroes. Despite being an IS Representative, she does not have a personal IS. The company that was developing her personal IS also produced the Byakushiki. Due to Ichika's rise in fame, the development of her IS was halted, and as a result, she harbors a deep grudge against Ichika, and feels incompetent to her older sister. However, thanks to Ichika's efforts (unaware of Tatenashi's assistance until later), her IS the Uchigane Nishiki (打鉄弐式 Uchigane Nishiki ) is operational. Kanzashi soon falls in love with Ichika, and her view towards Tatenashi changes when having a subconscious experience in accepting her well-being.
- Madoka Orimura (織斑 円 Orimura Madoka )
- Voiced by: Ai Kayano
- Madoka is Chifuyu's younger sister and Ichika's twin sister who has a striking resemblance to Chifuyu and harbors a grudge on her. She pilots the Silent Zephyrs, which was based on Cecilia Alcott's Blue Tears and was stolen from England. It appears to be more advanced than its successor. It is revealed, Madoka is a member of the Phantom Task organization, under the code name: M.
||This section describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (January 2013)|
||This section may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may only interest a specific audience. (January 2013)|
- Infinite Stratos (インフィニット・ストラトス Infinitto Stratosu )
- Abbreviated as IS, IS are powered exoskeletons which possess advanced technology and combat capabilities. Originally designed for outer space exploration, it has now become the new mainstream weapon of the world. The IS are further divided into training and personal units.
- Uchigane (打鉄)
- A Training IS to train IS Academy students in how to use an IS. Its settings remain the same despite the user.
- Personal IS
- Special IS units that "bond" and change to fit with the user's specifications. Originally harder to use in their default settings but once formatted to their users, they become like an extension of the users themselves. Personal IS units' abilities far surpass those of the Training IS units, boasting greater output in firepower, speed and maneuverability, etc. Personal IS units are currently divided into four generations, with each generation surpassing the previous in terms of overall specifications.
- IS Cores
- The Black box of an IS that allows it to function. Because only 467 Cores were created, most of them are shared by the world's governments where only a few IS pilots, who work under certain organizations and large corporations, possess their own personal IS. For some unknown reason, IS cores only react to female pilots, with Ichika as the sole exception.
- Mondo Grosso (モンド・グロッソ Mondo Gurosso )
- The IS International Fighting Tournament that is held every three years. The first tournament winner was Chifuyu, while the latest tournament winner was the Italian IS, Tempest.
- Absolute Defense
- An energy shield that surrounds an IS user whenever a direct attack is made to the user's own body instead of the IS. It consumes a lot of energy and in return protects the user's body during matches. IS matches usually end when the energy reserved for the shield is depleted.
- Impact Cannon
- A cannon that compresses space and fires it as a bullet. Its specialty is that both the barrel and bullet are invisible to the naked eye. It is the special weapon of the Shenlong IS, and is also known as the Dragon's Cannon (龍咆 Ryūhō ).
- Ignition Boost
- A speed burst that allows an IS pilot to travel at top speed for a moment and close in or escape from an opponent. There is also an advanced version called "Double Ignition Boost".
- Short for Active Inertial Canceller (アクティブ・イナーシャル・キャンセラー Akutibu Ināsharu Kyanserā ). A system designed to negate the inertia of a moving mass. In simple terms, it stops the movement of any object the user wishes. It is the special weapon of the Schwarzer Regen IS. Its weakness is that its range of effect depends on the total area its user can concentrate on; in other words, it is weak against multiple foes.
- Valkyrie Trace System (ヴァルキュリー・トレース・システム Varukyarī Torēsu Shisutemu )
- Also known as the VT System, it is a program developed to increase the performance of the IS by mimicking the former winners of Mondo Grosso. Due to various reasons including pilot safety, the research, development, and application of this system is strictly banned by the IS Treaty.
Infinite Stratos began as a light novel series written by Izuru Yumizuru, with illustrations provided by Okiura. The first volume was published by Media Factory under their MF Bunko J label on May 31, 2009. As of September 25, 2013, nine volumes have been released.
Due to conflict between the publisher (Media Factory) and the author, publication of the light novels was under suspension. Later, the author confirmed that he's simultaneously writing a new work and continuing Infinite Stratos through Kodansha. The novels are now being published by Overlap under their Overlap Bunko imprint, with CHOCO replacing Okiura as illustrator. Reprints of the first seven volumes begun on April 25, 2013, starting with the first two volumes.
The light novels are being translated into traditional Chinese and the first volume was published and released by Sharp Point Press on November 9, 2010. The Chinese translations of the light novels were originally under an indefinite suspension. Yumizuru cited that Media Factory's overseas representatives were engaging in contracts with foreign publishers without the author's permission as the reason for the suspension. Yumizuru had also stated that he was willing to fight over this matter in court if necessary.
|01||May 25, 2009 (Media Factory)
April 24, 2013 (Overlap)
|ISBN 978-4-8401-2788-2 (Media Factory)
ISBN 978-4-9068-6605-2 (Overlap)
|02||August 25, 2009 (Media Facrory)
April 24, 2013 (Overlap)
|ISBN 978-4-8401-2870-4 (Media Factory)
|03||December 25, 2009 (Media Factory)
May 23, 2013 (Overlap)
|ISBN 978-4-8401-3086-8 (Media Factory)
ISBN 978-4-9068-6607-6 (Overlap)
|04||March 25, 2010 (Media Factory)
June 22, 2013 (Overlap)
|ISBN 978-4-8401-3179-7 (Media Factory)
ISBN 978-4-9068-6608-3 (Overlap)
|05||June 25, 2010 (Media Factory)
July 25, 2013 (Overlap)
|ISBN 978-4-8401-3428-6 (Media Factory)
ISBN 978-4-9068-6609-0 (Overlap)
|06||December 24, 2010 (Media Factory)
August 25, 2013 (Overlap)
|ISBN 978-4-8401-3516-0 (Media Factory)
ISBN 978-4-9068-6610-6 (Overlap)
|07||April 8, 2011 (Media Factory)
September 25, 2013 (Overlap)
|ISBN 978-4-8401-3856-7 (Media Factory)
|08||April 25, 2013||ISBN 978-4-9068-6604-5|
A manga adaptation by Kenji Akahoshi began serialization in the seinen manga magazine Monthly Comic Alive on May 27, 2010, its July 2010 issue, and ended in the September 2012 issue on July 27, 2012. The first bound volume was released on December 22, 2010, and released five volumes until September 21, 2012 under their Alive Comics imprint.
An Internet radio show named Radio IS, produced by Super A&G+, aired from January 1 to March 26, 2011. The show was hosted by Yōko Hikasa, the voice actor of Houki Shinonono, and Asami Shimoda, the voice actor of Huang Lingyin. The first episode was available in the listening archives for three weeks, whereas subsequent episodes were available for two weeks. A second radio show, called Radio IS Overtime (RADIO IS 延長戦 Rajio IS Enchōsen ) began airing on April 9, 2011, and aired four biweekly episodes until May 21, 2011.
An anime adaptation for Infinite Stratos was first announced on June 21, 2010, and its official website opening on August 8, 2010. The adaptation is directed by Yasuhito Kikuchi who also directed Macross Frontier with 8-Bit, who also handled Macross Frontier, animating the adaptation. The character designer and chief animation director of the anime is Takeyasu Kurashima and the mecha designer is Takeshi Takakura. The script was handled by Atsuhiro Tomioka, Chinatsu Hōjō, and Fumihiko Shimo. Shimo will also be handling the series' composition. The anime aired in Japan between January 6 to March 31, 2011 on TBS, with subsequent runs on CBC, SUN-TV, KBS, and BS-TBS. Six DVD and Blu-ray volumes were released by Media Factory between March 30 and September 21, 2011. An OVA, entitled IS <Infinite Stratos> Encore: A Sextet Yearning for Love (IS＜インフィニット・ストラトス＞アンコール 『恋に焦がれる六重奏』 IS <Infinitto Sutoratosu> Ankōru: Koi ni Kogareru Rokujūsō ), was released in Japan on DVD and Blu-ray on December 7, 2011. A second season of the anime series was announced in April 2013.
The anime is licensed in North America by Sentai Filmworks, with simulcasts provided by Anime Network on its video website. Section23 Films released the series and the OVA with an English dub (produced by Seraphim Digital) on DVD and Blu-ray on April 10, 2012.
The anime's soundtrack is composed by Hikaru Nanase. The opening theme song for the anime is "Straight Jet", performed by Minami Kuribayashi. The ending theme song is "Super∞Stream", with the first episode version sung by Yōko Hikasa, the second and third episode version sung by Hikasa and Yukana, the fourth and fifth episode version sung by Hikasa, Yukana and Asami Shimoda, the sixth and seventh episode version sung by Hikasa, Yukana, Shimoda and Kana Hanazawa and the final version for the rest of episodes sung by Hikasa, Yukana, Shimoda, Hanazawa and Marina Inoue. Each version of the song reflects the voice actresses' character who is running with Ichika in the episodes' ending credits. The CD single for "Straight Jet" was released on January 26, 2011, and the CD single for "Super∞Stream" was released on February 16, 2011. Both singles are published under the Lantis label. For the OVA, the ending theme is "Best Partner" (ベストパートナー Besuto Pātonā ) by Yōko Hikasa. For the second season, the opening theme is "True Blue Traveler" by Minami Kuribayashi and the ending theme is "BEAUTIFUL SKY" by Yōko Hikasa.
An upcoming video game, titled Infinite Stratos 2: Ignition Hearts for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, is currently in development. Its plot focuses on memories from one summer's school festival, and is developed by 5pb.
A TCG game from Bushiroad's FIVE qross was released on November 8, 2013.
Reception and sales
|This section requires expansion. (July 2012)|
The light novels have collectively sold 1.2 million copies as of February 2011.
The opening theme of the anime adaptation, "Straight Jet", reached No. 16, and the ending theme, "Super∞Stream", reached No. 10 on the Oricon charts. The Blu-ray disc release of its first volume sold around 22,000 copies in its first week, becoming only the sixth-ever first volume of any anime television series to reach number 1 on Oricon's Blu-ray Disc weekly overall sales chart.
- "Infinite Stratos 2: Long Vacation Edition (OAV)". Anime News Network. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- Yumizuru, Izuru (May 25, 2009). "クラス代表決定戦" [The Battle to Decide the Class Representative]. IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉 [IS (Infinite Stratos)] (in Japanese) 1. Media Factory. p. 103. ISBN 978-4-8401-2788-2. "｢はい!織斑くんの専用IS｢白式｣です!｣"
- Yumizuru, Izuru (May 25, 2009). "クラスメイトは全員女" [The Classmates are all Girls]. IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉 [IS (Infinite Stratos)] (in Japanese) 1. Media Factory. p. 33. ISBN 978-4-8401-2788-2. "｢久しぶり。六年ぶりだけど、箒ってすぐわかったぞ｣"
- Yumizuru, Izuru (May 25, 2009). "クラスメイトは全員女" [The Classmates are all Girls]. IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉 [IS (Infinite Stratos)] (in Japanese) 1. Media Factory. p. 33. ISBN 978-4-8401-2788-2. "そう言ってちょんちょんと俺が自分の頭を指さすと、箒は急に長いポニーテールをいじりだした。"
- Yumizuru, Izuru (May 25, 2009). "クラスメイトは全員女" [The Classmates are all Girls]. IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉 [IS (Infinite Stratos)] (in Japanese) 1. Media Factory. p. 32. ISBN 978-4-8401-2788-2. "｢去年、剣道の全国大会で優勝したってな。おめでとう。｣"
- Yumizuru, Izuru (August 25, 2009). "ルームメイトはブロンド貴公子" [The Roommate is a Blonde Gentleman]. IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉 [IS (Infinite Stratos)] (in Japanese) 2. Media Factory. p. 54. ISBN 978-4-8401-2870-4. "もう私は教官ではないし、ここではお前も一般生徒だ。"
- Yumizuru, Izuru (March 25, 2010). "真夏の夜の夢" [Midsummer Night's Dream]. IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉 [IS (Infinite Stratos)] (in Japanese) 4. Media Factory. p. 178. ISBN 978-4-8401-3179-7. "その態度を併せて、箒は蘭が恋のライバルだと一瞬で理解する。"
- "TBSアニメーション・<インフィニット・ストラトス>公式ホームページ - 原作情報" (in Japanese). Tokyo Broadcasting System. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉⑦" (in Japanese). Media Factory. Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- "★模物語News ：IS腰斬疑雲再起！是真是假仍然讓人有如霧中看花 - 模物語". Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- "Rumor: "Infinite Stratos" Light Novel Canceled by Media Factory?". Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- "Infinite Stratos Novelist Yumizuru Confirms More in the Works". Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- "Infinite Stratos Novels Resume in April With Artist Choco". Anime News Network. December 28, 2012. Retrieved December 29, 2012.
- "《IS Infinite Stratos》動畫角色設定情報公開 中文版輕小說即將發行" (in Chinese). China Times. October 29, 2010. Retrieved January 24, 2011.
- "｢明確な違法行為｣人気ラノベ作者がMF編集部に激怒!! 編集部への不信感を暴露" (in Japanese). Cyzo. March 5, 2010. Archived from the original on December 4, 2010. Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- "IS 〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉" (in Japanese). Media Factory. Retrieved July 6, 2010.
- "IS<インフィニット・ストラトス>1" (in Japanese). Amazon.com. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- "IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉②" (in Japanese). Media Factory. Retrieved July 6, 2010.
- "IS<インフィニット・ストラトス>2" (in Japanese). Amazon.com. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- "IS <インフィニット・ストラトス> ③" (in Japanese). Media Factory. Retrieved July 6, 2010.
- "IS<インフィニット・ストラトス>3" (in Japanese). Amazon.com. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- "IS <インフィニット・ストラトス> ④" (in Japanese). Media Factory. Retrieved July 6, 2010.
- "IS<インフィニット・ストラトス>4" (in Japanese). Amazon.com. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- "IS <インフィニット・ストラトス> ⑤" (in Japanese). Media Factory. Retrieved July 6, 2010.
- "IS<インフィニット・ストラトス>5" (in Japanese). Amazon.com. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- "IS <インフィニット・ストラトス> ⑥" (in Japanese). Media Factory. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- "IS<インフィニット・ストラトス>6" (in Japanese). Amazon.com. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- "IS<インフィニット・ストラトス>7" (in Japanese). Amazon.com. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
- "IS<インフィニット・ストラトス>8" (in Japanese). Amazon.com. Retrieved January 14, 2013.
- "IS<インフィニット・ストラトス> 1" (in Japanese). Media Factory. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- "IS<インフィニット・ストラトス> 1" (in Japanese). Media Factory. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- "｢RADIO IS｣番組紹介" (in Japanese). Tokyo Broadcasting System. Retrieved January 26, 2011.
- "Infinite Stratos Light Novels Get TV Anime Green-Lit". Anime News Network. June 21, 2010. Retrieved June 29, 2010.
- "TBSアニメーション・<インフィニット・ストラトス>公式ホームページ - 最新情報" (in Japanese). Tokyo Broadcasting System. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "祝10周年! TBSが誇る大人気アニメが集結したビッグな祭典｢TBSアニメフェスタ 2010｣はこんなに盛り上がったよ☆" (in Japanese). Animate. September 1, 2010. Retrieved January 22, 2011.
- "TBSアニメーション・<インフィニット・ストラトス>公式ホームページ - スタッフ&キャスト" (in Japanese). Tokyo Broadcasting System. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Infinite Stratos DVD & Blu-ray Volumes" (in Japanese). TBS. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- "BSアニメーション・＜インフィニット・ストラトス＞公式ホームページ - グッズ情報" (in Japanese). Tokyo Broadcasting System. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- "Infinite Stratos Anime's 2nd Season Confirmed With Promo Video". Anime News Network. Retrieved April 20, 2013.
- "Sentai Filmworks Adds Inifinite Stratos Anime". Anime News Network. January 18, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- "Infinite Stratos Complete Collection". Amazon.com. Retrieved February 20, 2012.
- "Infinite Stratos Anime's 2nd Season Confirmed With Promo Video". Anime News Network. Retrieved September 2013.
- "Sentai Filmworks Adds Infitnite Stratos 2 Anime". Anime News Network. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "TBSアニメーション・<インフィニット・ストラトス>公式ホームページ - CD情報" (in Japanese). Tokyo Broadcasting System. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- Spencer. "Infinite Stratos 2: Ignition Hearts Will Spread The Love To PS3 And Vita". SiliconEra. Retrieved August 2013.
- "｢IS｣累計120万部到達!!!!" (in Japanese). Media Factory. February 1, 2011. Retrieved February 10, 2011.
- "STRAIGHT JET" (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- "SUPER∞STREAM" (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- "＜IS＜インフィニット・ストラトス＞＞ブルーレイ第1巻が総合首位" [IS <Infinite Stratos> Blu-ray Vol. 1 Tops the Total Sales Charts]. Mantanweb (in Japanese). Yahoo! Japan. April 6, 2011. Retrieved April 9, 2011.