|Industry||Enterprise Software & Database Management & Data Warehousing|
|Products||Infobright Enterprise Edition (formerly Brighthouse), Infobright Community Edition|
Infobright is a commercial provider of column-oriented relational database software with a focus in machine-generated data. The company's head office is located in Toronto, Canada. Most of its research and development is based in Warsaw, Poland.
Infobright was founded in 2005. It became an open source company in September 2008, when it issued the first free release of its software. At the same time its community site was launched. The company is funded by venture capital investors Flybridge Capital Partners, RBC Venture Partners, and Sun Microsystems.
In 2009, Infobright was recognized as MySQL's Partner of the Year, and a Gartner Cool Vendor in Data Management and Integration. It is also certified for use with Sun's Unified Storage product line. It is the assignee of published patent applications on data compression, query optimization, and data organization.
Infobright uses a columnar approach to database design. When data is loaded into a table, it is broken into the groups of 216 rows, further decomposed into separate data packs for each of the columns. By breaking each column by the same number of rows, it maintains its integrity with other columns for the same entry. For example, row 1, column 1 is the first entry in the first datapack for column 1. Row 1 in column 2 is the first entry in the first datapack for column 2.
Each data pack is separately compressed to approximately 10:1 on average.
The optimizer uses theories of rough sets and Granular Computing by categorizing which data packs need to be decompressed and by refining such categorization using partial results obtained from the Knowledge Grid and already decompressed data packs.
- "Open Source Data Warehouse, Column Database Software, Improve SQL Performance". Community website. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- 2009 MySQL Partners of the Year Sun Presents 2009 MySQL Awards
- Cool Vendors in Data Management and Integration, 2009. Gartner Report G00165365
- Infobright Editions Secure Sun Certification. TMCNet.com, April 23, 2009
- Method and system for data compression in a relational database. Patent Application US 2008/0071818 A1
- Method and system for storing, organizing and processing data in a relational database. Patent Application US 2008/0071748 A1
- Methods and systems for database organization. Patent Application US 2009/0106210 A1
- Infobright Data Warehouse. MySQL, September, 2008
- Brighthouse: an analytic data warehouse for ad hoc queries. VLDB 2008 industry paper
- Rough Sets in Data Warehousing. RSCTC 2008 invited talk