|Traded as||NASDAQ: IMKTA|
|Industry||Retail - Grocery|
|Headquarters||Black Mountain, North Carolina, United States of America|
|Number of locations||201|
|Area served||Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia|
|Key people||Robert P. Ingle II (CEO), James W. Lanning (President)|
|Products||Laura Lynn (private label)|
|Services||Real estate, dairy and beverage processing|
|Revenue||$3.39 billion (2010)|
|Net income||$31.7 million (2010)|
Ingles Markets Inc. is an American regional supermarket chain based in Black Mountain, North Carolina. As of January 2011, The company operates 201 supermarkets in the Southeastern United States. The company, although listed on the NASDAQ, is family-controlled, with 86% of the voting power and nearly half of the shares owned by the Ingle family.
Ingles operates 203 stores in six states:
Ingles also owns and operates Sav-Mor Foods.
- North Carolina: 7
- South Carolina: 1
- Tennessee: 1
|This section requires expansion. (March 2011)|
Ingles began in 1963 when Robert "Bob" Ingle opened its first location in Asheville, North Carolina. Ingle was following in his father's footsteps, who had been in the grocery business until 1956. In 1982, Ingles purchased a milk processing and packaging plant from Sealtest, which it operates as Milkco Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary. Two-thirds of Milkco's business, which was later expanded beyond dairy to include products such as citrus, tea, and bottled water, is from food service distributors, grocery warehouses, and independent specialty retailers located in 17 states as of 2010. Ingles became a publicly traded company in 1987.
In the 2000s, the chain started building "Ingles Gas Express" gas stations with many of its newer stores.
In Feb 2005, Ingles Markets announced to restate financial statements for fiscal 2002 and 2003 and the first three quarters of fiscal 2004, to reflect the appropriate accounting for vendor allowances and certain other items.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
- "All About Ingles". Ingles Markets. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "Ingles Markets: What Makes It Something Special?". Seeking Alpha. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "Contact Information." Ingles Markets. Retrieved on November 17, 2012. "2913 US Highway 70 W Black Mountain, NC 28711-9103"
- "All About Ingles: Milkco Inc.". Ingles Markets. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "Ingles Markets, Inc To Restate Prior Periods".
- Motsinger, Carol (6 March 2011). "Bob Ingle, founder of Asheville-based Ingles grocery chain, dies". Asheville Citizen-Times. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- "Robert P. Ingle, Founder of Ingles Markets, Incorporated Dies at Age 77". Press release. Ingles Markets. March 7, 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-11.