Initao, Misamis Oriental
|Municipality of Initao|
Initao Municipal Hall
|Motto: One Dream, One Destiny, One Initao|
Map of Misamis Oriental with Initao highlighted
|Region||Northern Mindanao (Region X)|
|District||2nd district of Misamis Oriental|
|• Mayor||Enerito V. Acain|
|• Total||111.27 km2 (42.96 sq mi)|
|• Density||260/km2 (680/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
It is seated about 39 kilometres (24 mi) west of the provincial capital of Cagayan De Oro City, 29 kilometres (18 mi) east of Iligan City, and about 767 kilometres (477 mi) south-south-east of Philippine capital, Manila.
The partly urban town thrives mostly on fishing and agricultural farming; however, different small and business establishments have flourished, making the town self-sustaining in many ways. All government offices are found in the "poblacion": that is the center of the town.
The only significant celebration this town celebrates is the town fiesta in honor of the Patron Saint Francis Xavier which is held every December 2 and 3 although the celebration stretches for a week.
- San Pedro
Based on the research report submitted by L.M. Neri, A.M.M. Ragrario, E.C.R. Robles, and A.J. Carlos, the original settlers of Initao were the Bukidnons. They were described as warlike and aggressive and ready to sacrifice their lives in defending their territory. It is said that the early community in Initao was ruled by three (3) brothers named Datu Hukom, Datu Tamparong, and Datu Pulagoyan, who had to protect early settlers in Initao against Moro invasions in the sixteenth century.
Because of the frequent threat by the Moro pirates, the people of Initao became war-like. They were considered to be hot-blooded and hot-tempered fearless fighters. Hence, the word Initao comes from the word init which means “hot” and tao which means “people.” They were people perpetually prepared to fight their enemy to defend their territory and community. Legend also has it that the Moro raiders were defeated, the people planted bamboo along the Initao River as a symbol of peace and truce among them.
The word Initao, originally spelled by the Spaniards as Ynitao, was mentioned on August 6, 1838, in the inventory of livestock, fruits, exotic and cereal plants in the Provincia de Misamis (Ereccion de Pueblos, Misamis 1808-1839). In May 1858, Ynitao was headed by Gobernadorcillo Francisco Antonio and succeeded by Gobernadorcillo Abariano Caburratan in 1894.
In 1838, Initao was a Spanish pueblo composed of 3 cabecerias (Ereccion de Pueblos, Misamis 1808-1839). In October 27, 1877, Ynitao had 7 cabecerias which became 8 on June 30, 1882. It was decreased to 1 cabeceria, known as Apas, on June 30, 1883, until 1884 with a total population of 1,514. On June 30, 1887, Ynitao again increased its number of cabeceria to 19 and decreased to 12 in October 3, 1892.
In 1896-1902, Ynitao was in the province of Lanao. In 1903, Initao once again became a pueblo. The municipality is one of the oldest in the western part of Misamis Oriental.
|Population census of Initao|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- Lasang Secret Adventure is a 57-hectare natural forest with diverse flora and fauna, accessible via the National Highway (Cagayan de Oro to Iligan) that snakes through the forest. Attractions and activities include split-nose bats, caves, spelunking, fishing, swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving and diving from the high steep rock surface down to the sea water. Facilities for overnight stays are present
- A variety of different corals dominate the underwater and a wide variety of fish can be found making home amidst it. Tourists interested in a snorkeling safari can camp or rent cottages located in the park.
- Currently[when?] the park is under extensive development. A "skywalk" and a zipline designed with the aid of the Cagayan Mountaineers Group is located in the site where the old provincial hospital use to stand.
- Midway White Beach Resort is a known white sand beach located in Baranggay Tubigan a few minutes away from Initao National Park by jeepney. National conventions, other official and government functions as well as private weddings, family gatherings and celebrations are held here. Fruit stands with variety of fruits are located just outside the gates.
- Resort amenities include a pool, well-tended cottages, convention hall and a man-made island. There are sleeping quarters and private cottages for those who plan to stay overnight.
There are three other known beaches in the town aside from Midway White Beach; there is the adjacent Hapitanan (means "Drop-in" in local dialect) Beach; this beach is frequented by locals because of its cheap rates; Don Arc Poblete Beach Resort (named after the owner Arc Poblete), or Isidro Beach.
- SJ and Tellights in Brgy. Pagahan hosts various events at affordable prices. It's hilltop location makes it ideal for privacy and romantic outdoor activities like weddings.
Initao can be reached by plane through Laguindingan Airport. From the airport one can choose to ride a coaster, taxi or a bus. Travel time is 30 minutes west. Like any other in the province of Misamis Oriental town, the National Highway snakes through it. Visitors and locals can go around the town by just hailing a "sikad-sikad", a habal-habal, a motorboat or a jeepney.
PLDT Landlines and "cell sites" for all major "telecom" providers like Globe, Smart and Sun are serviceable in this town. Internet access is also available. Internet cafes can be found in various places in town. Broadband service is also available.
- Initao Central School is a public elementary school. There are elementary schools in almost every barangay in this town.
- Initao National Comprehensive High School is a public secondary school. The school has a playing field where soccer matches are held occasionally and soccer practice by local enthusiasts is held almost every afternoon.
- Xavier High School is a Catholic school. It is very strict on disciplinary and religious activities. The school is known for its formality and extracurricular activities like the Xavier on the Runway and Pinoy Big Teacher with its champion III-St.Ignatius '09-'10. Its teacher to student ratio is an ideal alternative to the sometimes overcrowded public high school.
- Initao College is seven years old.[when?] This school was recently revived and it is guaranteed to be a CHED recognized school. The main school campus is located in Docnayon, Apas. The courses offered are Bachelor in Elementary Education (BEEd), B.S. Business Administration (BSBA), and B.S. in Hotel and Restaurant Management (BSHRM).
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Province: MISAMIS ORIENTAL". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "An Act Creating the Municipality of Naawan, Province of Misamis Oriental". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Initao, Misamis Oriental.|
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System