Initao, Misamis Oriental
Initao Municipal Hall
Map of Misamis Oriental showing the location of Initao
|Region||Northern Mindanao (Region X)|
|• Mayor||Enerito Acain V|
|• Total||111.27 km2 (42.96 sq mi)|
|• Density||260/km2 (680/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Population census of Initao, Misamis Oriental|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
It is seated about 39 km west of the provincial capital of Cagayan De Oro City, 29.5 km east of Iligan City, and about 767 km south-south-east of Philippine main capital, Manila. The geographic coordinates of Initao are 8° 30' 0 N, 124° 17' 59 E.
The bustling town thrives mostly on fishing and agricultural farming; however, different small and business establishments have flourished, making the town self-sustaining in many ways.
It is currently headed by Mayor Enerito Acain V and Vice-Mayor Cora Sayre who both enjoys the support of more than 80% of the population.
All government offices are found in the "poblacion": that is the center of the town.
||This section uses first-person ("I"; "we") or second-person ("you") inappropriately. (October 2009)|
- Initao National Park is a 57-hectare natural forest with diverse flora and fauna. The National Highway (Cagayan de Oro to Iligan) snakes through the forest. Check out also the various caves here. Go spelunking. (note: please have an experienced tour guide to be with... for the said activity.) Visitors and locals can also try fishing atop one of the boulders overlooking the deep blue sea. Just bring your own hooks and baits. Swimming, snorkelling, scuva diving and diving from the high steep rock surface down to the sea water are one of the most exciting activities that can be go through in this place. As a great alternative Visitors and Locals can also stay overnight. Just inform the park authorities. Don't fail to see also the split-nose bats nesting in one of the caves here.
A different variety of corals dominate the underwater and a wide variety of fish can be found making home amidst it. Tourists interested in a snorkelling safari may set up a tent or rent cottages located near the park.
Currently[when?] the park is under extensive development. A "skywalk" is being built near the old hospital site. It was designed with the aid of the Cagayan Mountaineers Group.
- Midway White Beach Resort is a known white sand beach located in Baranggay Tubigan a few minutes away from Initao National Park by jeepney. National conventions, other official and government functions as well as private weddings, family gatherings and celebrations are held here. Fruit stands with variety of fruits are located just outside the gates.
Resort amenities include a pool, well-tended cottages, convention hall and a man-made island. There are sleeping quarters and private cottages for those who plan to stay overnight.
There are three other known beaches in the town aside from Midway White Beach; there is the adjacent Hapitanan (means "Drop-in" in local dialect) Beach; this beach is frequented by locals because of its cheap rates; residents and tourists can even stay there without paying if they don't use any cottages as there is no entrance fee, and Don Arc Poblete Beach Resort (named after the owner Arc Poblete), or Emeralda Beach Resort located in barangay Pagahan.
There is also horseback riding in Initao.
Banking, transportation and communication
The urbanization status of the municipality is classified as partly urban. Initao can be reached in an hour by plane from Manila to Cagayan de Oro, then about 45 minutes bus ride west. Like any other town, the national highway snakes through it. Visitors and Locals can go around the town by just hailing a "sikad-sikad" or motorboat, "jeepneys" or motorcycles to the far-flung barangays.
PLDT Landlines and "cell sites" for all major "telecom" providers like Globe, Smart and Sun are serviceable in this region. Internet access is also available. Internet cafes can be found in various places in town. Broadband service is also available.
With regards to financial matters. Rural Bank, Valley Bank, SERVUS SAVINGS AND CREDIT COOP, Oro Savings Bank, and lending institutions such as FECCO and others are accessible at office hours in this locality.
- Initao Central School is a government elementary school. There are elementary schools in almost every barangay in this town.
- Initao National Comprehensive High School is a public secondary school. The school has a playing field where soccer matches are held occasionally and soccer practice by local enthusiasts is held almost every afternoon.
- Xavier High School is a Catholic school. It is very strict on disciplinary and religious activities. The school is known for its formality and extracurricular activities like the Xavier on the Runway and Pinoy Big Teacher with its champion III-St.Ignatius '09-'10. Its teacher to student ratio is an ideal alternative to the sometimes overcrowded public high school.
- Initao College is seven years old.[when?] This school was recently revived and it is guaranteed to be a CHED recognized school. A night college, it shares its facilities with the INCHS. The courses offered are Bachelor in Secondary and Elementary Education, B.A. Public Administration, B.A. English, Hotel and Restaurant Management, and other two-year courses.
Initao is politically subdivided into 16 barangays.
- San Pedro
Initao is an old town and there is no clear history as to when it was founded and by whom, thus the only significant celebration this town celebrates is the town fiesta in honor of the Patron Saint Francis Xavier which is held every December 2 and 3 although the celebration stretches for a week.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "An Act Creating the Municipality of Naawan, Province of Misamis Oriental". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- 2000 Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System