|• Revised Romanization||Inje-gun|
Location in South Korea
|Administrative divisions||1 eup, 5 myeon|
|• Total||1,646.33 km2 (635.65 sq mi)|
|• Density||21/km2 (50/sq mi)|
Since the first inhabitants came to the Korean peninsula, there have been people living in Inje county. Surrounded by clear and clean rivers and streams and magnificent Soraksan. Inje is located in the mid-east of Gangwon-do, it was at first called Jeojokhyeon in the Goguryeo Kingdom, Heejaehyeon in the Silla Kingdom, Inje in the Goryeo Dynasty, Youngsohyeon and again later Inje in the Joseon Dynasty and finally raised to the status of Inje county on August, 1896.
Inje town was lost again to the Chinese People's Volunteer Army during the Fifth Phase Offensive in late April 1951 and was recaptured in the UN counteroffensive to Line Kansas that followed in late May 1951.
In 1951 the US Marine Corps 1st Medical Battalion operated a field hospital in Inje town.
Inje is located in the Taebaek Mountains and has a landscape dominated by Flora. Many species inhabit several areas of the county, not only mountains but rivers also.
- Asiatic Black Bear : It populates a wide area from Siberia to Afghanistan and Thailand as well as certain Asian islands such as Taiwan and Japan. In Korea, the Asiatic Black Bear can be found in the areas of Paekdusan, Seoraksan, Jirisan. The Asiatic Black Bear is becoming rare in South Korea. It usually lives in broadleaf forest on peaks higher than 1,500m, finding lots of fruits like wild grapes, wild berries, fruits of Acfinidia arguta, especially with acorns. The Asiatic Black Bear has developed a good sense of smell and hearing however cannot see very well.
- Musk deer : Among the Musk deers in the northern hemisphere, this species in the North-East is divided into 7 subspecies. This subspecies found in the mountains around Mokpo and Jeonranamdo is also reported to be distributed Manchuria, Amur, Ussuri and Eastern Siberia as well as South Korea.
- Senecio koreanus : The Senecio Koreanus is a Korean Endemic Species.
- Carex chordorhiza : The Carex Chordorhiza is a perennial plant growing with sphagnum in a swamp, at first grows straight and then crawls laterally to take root. From its joint it grows a flower stem of up to 20 cm. Its leaves are flat and 1~1.5 cm wide with colors of gray and green. The heads are egg-like and numbered 2~4 which are 5~7 cm long. Male flowers come out upward but female ones downward without any bracts.
- Megaleranthis saniculifolia : Megaleranthis Saniculifolia is also a Korean Endemic Species and clings to Ranunculaceae. It inhibits the Jeombongsan, Sobaeksan, Jirisan and Taebaeksan areas. Living in the swamps or ridges in deep mountains, the perennial plant sprouts in stubbles. It's between 30 and 40 cm tall. Leaves come from the root of the plant and are divided into three parts at the end, a long leafstalk may be split into 2 to 3 parts again.
|Climate data for Inje (1981–2010)|
|Average high °C (°F)||1.0
|Daily mean °C (°F)||−5.2
|Average low °C (°F)||−11.0
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||17.5
|Avg. precipitation days (≥ 0.1 mm)||6.7||6.2||7.9||7.3||9.1||9.9||14.9||13.3||8.3||5.6||7.0||6.2||102.4|
|Average relative humidity (%)||67.4||64.0||62.0||57.5||65.7||71.7||79.0||79.2||77.2||72.9||69.6||68.7||69.6|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||160.5||159.9||192.0||211.8||224.1||205.2||159.0||174.3||175.7||175.7||139.5||146.2||2,128.1|
|Source: Korea Meteorological Administration|
The beautiful snow scenes around Daecheong peak are widely known. Inje county is quite cold from early November, with snow falling around its higher peaks. In 2007, the first heavy snow of the year was recorded as early as 16 November.
Ice fishing festival
Because of its cold climate, lots of ice fishing festivals often occur in Inje and also the wider Gangwon-do area. However, the ice fishing in Inje is one of the main attractions in winter with 6,000 tourists per weekday and over 10,000 on weekends.
- Official page
- Inje Official website
- "평년값자료(1981–2010) 인제(211)". Korea Meteorological Administration. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- Official page concerning Tour
- Daecheongbong peak is in the very winter (대청봉은 한겨울)2007.11.16 (금)
- http://www.ytn.co.kr/_ln/0103_200801260111142622 겨울의 절정...얼음 낚시 릴레이 2008-01-26