The inland dotterel (Peltohyas australis) also known as the Australian dotterel and placed in the monotypic genus Peltohyas, is a medium-sized Charadriine plover.
This bird has an unmistakable plumage pattern. Its upperparts are generally buff, mottled with dark brown. The face is pale but marked by a vertical black band crossing eye and fore-crown. The underparts are generally buff and white, marked with distinctive black "Y" on breast, which forms a collar on hind-neck, and is joined to a black band on belly separating the white lower belly from the rich buff lower breast and flanks.
This bird measures 19–23 cm (7.5–9.1 in)in length, has a wingspan of 43–47 cm (17–19 in), and weighs 80 g (2.8 oz).
Its call sounds like quick.
The inland dotterel is found in open, arid country; its distribution is bounded by 100 mm summer isohyet.
This species feeds on seeds and invertebrates.
The nest is built on bare ground in a shallow depression; the female produces a clutch of 3 brown eggs, marked with irregular black spots which are incubated for a period about 28 days. When the parent leaves the nest, it covers the eggs with soil. The young are precocial and nidifugous.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Peltohyas australis". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2014.3. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- Peltohyas australis on Avibase
- Cayley, Neville (1973). What Bird is That? A Guide to the Birds of Australia (Abridged Field ed.). Angus & Robertson. p. 175. ISBN 0 207 12431 0.
- Marchant, S.; Higgins, P.J.; Davies, J.N., eds. (1994). Handbook of Australian, New Zealand and Antarctic Birds. Volume 2: Raptors to Lapwings. Melbourne: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-553069-1.
- The Shorebirds of Australia. National Photographic Index of Australian Wildlife. Sydney: Angus & Robertson. 1987. ISBN 0-207-15348-5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peltohyas australis.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Peltohyas australis|
- BirdLife species factsheet for Peltohyas australis
- Inland dotterel videos, photos, and sounds at the Internet Bird Collection
- Interactive range map of Peltohyas australis at IUCN Red List maps
- Audio recordings of Inland dotterel on Xeno-canto.
|This Charadriiformes-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|