Innerpartysystem performing in 2009 at the Apple Store on Regent Street, London
|Origin||Mohnton, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Genres||Dance-punk, industrial rock, electronica|
|Labels||Red Bull Records (2010-2011)
Island Records (2007-2009)
|Past members||Jesse Cronan
Innerpartysystem (often stylized as InnerPartySystem) was an American electronic rock band. The group consisted of Patrick Nissley, Jared Piccone and Kris Barman. The band was well known for their live performance lighting largely by Andrew Nissley and videos directed by Stephen Penta.
Their debut EP The Download EP was released in November 2007 and their debut self-titled album in late September 2008. As of late 2008 the band started releasing seasonal mixtapes, new remixes including Ladyhawke's track "Paris Is Burning" and Katy Perry's "Hot n Cold". In May 2009 the band digitally released the UK equivalent of The Download EP, entitled Heart of Fire. As of October 2009, the band worked towards their EP Never Be Content, which was released in February 2011.
After rumours circulated the internet on Jesse Cronan leaving the band, it was confirmed on March 3, 2010 by a blog post by Cronan. Cronan stated that his reasons for leaving were because he felt "unsatisifed and unmotivated".
On August 3, 2011, Innerpartysystem issued a statement that the band was going on indefinite hiatus. They performed their last shows at the end of August.
- 1 Origin of name
- 2 History
- 3 Band members
- 4 Discography
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Origin of name
Explaining the origin of the band name, Piccone is quoted as saying: "In George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four social classes were defined as the inner party, outer party, and the working class. It sounds really 'holier than thou' when you say it, we're really not this full of ourselves, but we liked the idea of creating this full, multimedia, over-stimulating, elitist environment that we were trying to invite everyone into. It's the ironic elitist class".
Early years and formation (2000-2007)
Before singer Patrick Nissley and drummer Jared Piccone started Innerpartysystem, both of them were playing in Reading emo band Thirteen Over Eight. Piccone joined in 2000, a few years after their inception. Though the group enjoyed a fair local response, things did not take off until the two started the electronic-inspired The Takeover in 2006, which was later renamed Innerpartysystem. Nissley is the primary songwriter and programmer, along with Kris Barman who plays guitar and keyboards. Piccone plays drums and Jesse Cronan played keyboards and samples. The band signed to Stolen Transmission in May 2007. "Heart of Fire" was played during the 2007 MTV VMAs in September just before the band released The Download EP a couple of months later.
Album release (2008-2009)
The band released their first music in May 2008 for their lead album single "Don't Stop". The self-titled album was later released on the 29th September 2008. Don't Stop has been used in the EA Sports game Madden NFL 09, as well as being made into the first 7 inch "vinyl" made out of chocolate.   "Heart of Fire" appeared on the soundtrack for Criterion Games' Burnout Paradise. The instrumental of the song "This Empty Love" from the band's album was later featured in the racing video game, Need for Speed: Undercover.
The band spent the summer touring in anticipation of their album release, playing numerous dates with Kill Hannah and Mindless Self Indulgence, as well as playing Chicago's Lollapalooza festival and a two-week UK tour which included two dates on Linkin Park's Projekt Revolution tour and the O2 Wireless Festival in London's Hyde Park.
"Die Tonight Live Forever", the band's second single and video were released in September 2008.
The band's self-titled debut album was released on September 29, 2008 in the United Kingdom and September 30 in the United States. The band went on to tour in support of their newly released album with a short UK tour in October and subsequent US tour supporting 3OH!3. The band continued to tour the US and then headed back to the UK towards an almost sold-out UK tour in January 2009 before a short return in the US and then went to Australia for the first time to take part in the 2009 annual Soundwave festival.
The band have also experimented with live stripped down versions of their songs played using various downloadable music-related applications on the iPhone. They played Don't Stop live in this manner on a couple of radio stations before being asked to perform a free five track set in an Apple Store in London. They later performed on the famous Warped Tour across in the summer of 2009 in North America.
On June 30, 2009, the band announced on their official MySpace and Facebook pages that they have parted ways with their label, Island Records. They wrote, "There are some really amazing, overworked, underpaid, stressed out people who love music, working very hard there… and there are a handful of people who just didn’t really understand this band, and didn’t know how to react when ‘Don’t Stop’ wasn’t ‘Just Dance.’ Our bad there." The same day, they announced the creation of their new forum site, where they put up a free download of their new summer mixtape, Summertime in Gameland, which features previously released remixes that the band has made. Also posted are stems of their songs that fans can download for free and remix.
On 9th October, the band sent out their October Newsletter stating that September had been "much busier than expected". "Writing and demo-ing for the new record has been going full steam and it looks like we have 15 ideas that are over the bar set by the last record." The band also said that they would "probably head into the studio early next year."
Never Be Content and new record label (2010- July 2011)
The band released an album teaser, on February 16, teasing several new songs, fans on the band's message board reacted most highly to American Trash, which was consequently released as independently as a download-only single on May 18, with an early preview uploaded to the band's Myspace on April 16, 2010. On August 2 the band signed to Red Bull Records, stating they had been brainstorming ideas with the label and have been "an overall positive influence on Innerpartysystem since the day they came into our lives".
Piccone tweeted that a new album should be released in 2011. Jared tweeted that a new 6 song EP would be released in January 2011 as well as a planned UK tour for the same year. The band are booked to play a one off London show in January 2011. This year will bring a two-part release for the band: a 6-song EP Never Be Content and a full length album later this year. Never Be Content was hinted to be released in January 2011, but was given a digital release date of February 22 and a physical release date of March 29. The press release has stated that EP's sound will see the band's previous punk-rock genre fade as the EP concentrates more on electronic dance music.
Innerpartysystem return to the UK in March, April and May for various festivals, headline and support slots. The band went on to release another song from their "Never Be Content" EP in July 2011, entitled "Not Getting Any Better", the longest song they have created to date.
On August 3, 2011, Innerpartysystem announced via e-mail to fans that they have decided to go on an indefinite hiatus.
"We find ourselves struggling to find the right way to start this statement to you all. Maybe a clever anecdote, or short story with some witty but true moral is in order? Nah, lets just stick to the facts. You all have been beyond amazing to us, and you deserve nothing less than the honest truth." "innerpartysystem is going on indefinite hiatus. We aren’t breaking up nor do we hate each other. As a matter of fact, we are all great friends. BROTHERS. Our experiences with this band and the people we’ve met over the past 6 years have shaped us into who we are today. We will without a doubt look back on these times with nothing but positive thoughts and feelings"
They finished up their remaining shows after this message was sent. Because they are rubbish. The three remaining members are all pursuing solo efforts and do not know if the band will get back together in the future.
Although the band consists of three members, Andrew Nissley plays a significant part in sound mixing, lighting design, looping and backing vocals. Stephen Penta also plays an important part in the videography for the band as well as part of the management for the band.
- Patrick Nissley - vocals, programming (2006–2011)
- Jared Piccone - drums, backing vocals (2006–2011)
- Kris Barman - programming, guitar, synthesizer, backing vocals (2006–2011)
- Former members
- Eric Firsching - guitar (2006)
- Jesse Cronan - synthesizer, sampling, lighting design, backing vocals (2006–2010)
|September 30, 2008||Innerpartysystem||Island Records|
|November 12, 2007||The Download EP||Stolen Transmission|
|February 22, 2011||Never Be Content||Red Bull Records|
|June 29, 2009||Summertime in Gameland||Self-released|
|November 11, 2009||Innerpartysystem Winter Mixtape||Self-released|
|Mini-mixtape vol. 1 (Spring 2010)||Self-released|
|Mini-mixtape vol. 2 (Spring 2010)||Self-released|
- "Don't Stop" (30 June 2008): #153 UK, #35 US Modern Rock
- "Don't Stop" was released as a promotional single at some independent record stores.
- "Die Tonight Live Forever" (22 September 2008)
- "Don't Stop" (9 February 2009)
- Re-released (for the second time) in the UK. New remix single was available.
- "Heart of Fire" (4 May 2009)
- "American Trash" (18 May 2010)
- "Not Getting Any Better" (4 July 2011)
|Year||Remixed song||Original artist||Appears on||Remixed by|
|2008||Hot n Cold||Katy Perry||Hot N Cold German/UK Single||Patrick, Kris|
|2009||Paris is Burning||Ladyhawke||Paris is Burning European Single|
|Kings & Queens||Thirty Seconds to Mars||Kings And Queens Digital Download EP|
|Circuits of Fever||Thursday||Common Existence (Deluxe Edition)||Jesse|
|B-Boys in the Cut||Beastie Boys||Internet Exclusive||Jared|
|Don't Trust Me||3OH!3||3OH!3 / Innerpartysystem Split 7"||Patrick|
|2010||My First Kiss||My First Kiss Remix EP||??|
|Burn it Down||Awolnation||Back From Earth|
|Fire In Your New Shoes||Kaskade||Fire In Your New Shoes - Single|
|California Gurls||Katy Perry||California Gurls: The Remixes|
|Like It's Her Birthday||Good Charlotte||Like It's Her Birthday: The Remixes|
|Hot Mess||Cobra Starship||Take Action Volume 9||Patrick|
|Catch Myself Catching Myself||Underoath||Ø (Disambiguation) (Deluxe Edition)|
|Enemy Among Us (Ver. 1)||Paper Route||Additions (Remix EP)||Jared|
|New York City Speed||Kill Hannah||New York City Speed Remix Maxi-Single|
|Human Nature||Brad Walsh||Unhitched, Restitched||Jared, Patrick|
|Human After All||Twin Atlantic||Human After All - Single||Patrick, Kris, Jared|
|Fame||David Bowie||Internet Exclusive|
|??||Talk Like That||The Presets||??||??|
|Human (Ver. 1)||The Killers||Jesse|
|Human (Ver. 2)||Kris|
|Enemy Among Us (Ver. 2)||Paper Route|
|She Loves Me So (Ver. 1)||Anthony Green|
|She Loves Me So (Ver. 2)||Patrick|
|Perfect Symmetry||Keane||Patrick, Kris|
|Chase Money||Trouble Andrew||Internet Exclusive|
|2011||Dance with the Devil||The Sounds||??||??|
|Green Queen||Apoptygma Berzerk||Black EP Vol. 2||Jesse|
|The Blinding of False Light||As I Lay Dying||Decas||??|
|Burn It Down||Awolnation||RE/Sail||??|
|Lost in Space||Starkey||Space Traitor Vol 2||??|
- "Official Innerpartysystem MySpace". Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- "Official Innerpartysystem MySpace Remix Page". Retrieved 2009-02-14.
-  - March 2010 Update
- "Strange Glue Showcase: Innerpartysystem". Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- Target.com Band Description - 2007 VMAs
- "AOL Music, InnerPartySytem Biography". Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- "Five Minutes With... Innerpartysystem". Spheremag.co.uk. 2008-12-17. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "Chocolate Vinyl Records - Peter Lardong Makes Music That's Easy to Digest (VIDEO)". Trendhunter.com. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "10 Things You Didn’t Know About- Innerpartysystem". Redbull.com. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- Van, Eliot (2008-06-20). "Band Releases Single on Chocolate Discs | Listening Post". Wired.com. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- Peel, Ian (August 5, 2008). "What's the sweetest format?". The Guardian (London). Retrieved May 5, 2010.
- "FREE Mixtape Download!/IPS Summer State Of The Union van innerpartysystem op Myspace". Blogs.myspace.com. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "innerpartysystem | blog op Myspace". Blogs.myspace.com. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- Jared re-tweet concerning a new album.
- Satvir Bhamra (2010-11-07). "Amplified. – Innerpartysystem to release new single". Amplified.tv. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "Never Be Content EP - details! van innerpartysystem op Myspace". Myspace.com. 2011-01-13. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- Satvir Bhamra (2011-02-24). "Amplified. – Innerpartysystem – New UK dates announced". Amplified.tv. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "Thank You". Innerpartysystem. Retrieved 4 August 2011. "We find ourselves struggling to find the right way to start this statement to you all. Maybe a clever anecdote, or short story with some witty but true moral is in order? Nah, lets just stick to the facts. You all have been beyond amazing to us, and you deserve nothing less than the honest truth. innerpartysystem is going on indefinite hiatus. We aren’t breaking up nor do we hate each other. As a matter of fact, we are all great friends. BROTHERS. Our experiences with this band and the people we’ve met over the past 6 years have shaped us into who we are today. We will without a doubt look back on these times with nothing but positive thoughts and feelings"
- Eric Firsching in The Takeover
- [dead link]